House Price Crash Forum
wonderpup

New Halifax Tv Commercial

Just caught Halifax's latest advert on tv- it's a nice play on Rod Stewart's 'we are sailing' with the lyics 'we are saving.' The nautical theme contines as the building floats out to sea- but the best part is where we see Howard and his girlfriend perched on the prow in a parody of the movie Titanic. Do you think they're trying to tell us something? :P

Hey, thanks for the link- I didn't realise they were recycling an old ad- I just saw it broadcast tonight about an hour ago. Presumably the new savings rate stuff has been comped in.

I guess back in 2003 the Titanic reference was more topical- but then it's pretty topical now, for completely different reasons.

I wonder how long it will be before someone at HBOS realises that oblique references to sinking ships may not be the best way to promote themselves at the present time?

Of course, the time was that they would commission a new commercial, rather than recycling an old one. Things must be getting tight on the good ship HBOS.

"Not waving but drowning"

Has anyone ever done a correlation analysis between the size of advertising budget vs. real savings rate?

For example, Howard is currently offering something daft like 10% on your savings, but there's a big asterix on the advert that links to some terms like "only on savings up to £2,000 and deposits of £500 per month", which makes it just the same as all the others really.

I make a point of banking and investing with folk that don't waste my money on huge and frequent adverts.

Guest xeouialp

If a commercial gets people talking to each other about it, it's a success. I would recycle an old commercial if it got people saying to each other, why are they using an old commercial? Or, "Oh there's that old commercial I like." There are many tricks.

I too am glad we are all talking about this product. It really is the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate around.

Edit: spelling

Edited by xeouialp

If a commercial gets people talking to each other about it, it's a success.

It kind of depends what people are saying- if the mainstream media pick up on the Titanic reference and have a bit of fun with it, I doubt HBOS will be happy- they don't want to be associated at present with iconic disaster motifs, a bit close to home I would have thought.

If a commercial gets people talking to each other about it, it's a success. I would recycle an old commercial if it got people saying to each other, why are they using an old commercial? Or, "Oh there's that old commercial I like." There are many tricks.

Agreed. It does what it says on the tin.