House Price Crash Forum
Biffo the Bear

If You Could Go Back And Stop It All From Happening, How Would You Do It?

I'm going to try a thought/causality experiment this evening to try and go back in time. If it succeeds then I might be able to stop this mess from happening - any ideas anyone?

Stop those silly Serbs shooting Franz....

Stop those silly Serbs shooting Franz....

Ah, by my calculations I can't go back that far unfortunately.. besides, that could cause a paradox where I'm not born. I might be crazy, but not THAT crazy!

Guest happy?
I'm going to try a thought/causality experiment this evening to try and go back in time. If it succeeds then I might be able to stop this mess from happening - any ideas anyone?

Remove double MIRAS tax relief overnight.

The recent BIS report was totally clear about what happened. The 2% inflation target was much too high, cheap Chinese manufactured goods were getting so much cheaper that they masked the massive increase in money supply. CPI ran at 2%, but money supply went mad. The 2% target ought to have been -2% over the last decade to allow for the cheaper goods, if it had been, then interest rates would have been much higher, and the bubble less mad.

That would be the thing to change, also pointing out to politicians that securitisation was a way of getting round the capital adequacy requirement which removed the limit on fiat money creation.

I'd try and woo Gordon Brown's, Maggie Thatcher's & Tony Blair's Mum to prevent them from being conceived......probably very reluctantly :blink: .

How’s that for painless change to the course of history - trouble is I might not end up being born etc.... etc..... So many paradoxes. Hell WWIII may have come and gone....

stop what from happening? housing crash?housing boom?Gordon Brown selling gold?Gordon Brown?Mario being evicted from Big Brother?Pearce and Waddle missing their penalties?

What?

stop what from happening? housing crash?housing boom?Gordon Brown selling gold?Gordon Brown?Mario being evicted from Big Brother?Pearce and Waddle missing their penalties?

What?

Well, everything really. Somewhere along the line something went wrong, and look at the horrible selfish world in which we find ourselves. HPI is just one of the symptoms of it.

You will cause a paradox, if you go back in time and change history you create the problem that you wouldn't have had any need to build a time machine as the need for you to invent it is gone, therefore you never did. Which means you never went back to change history. Therefore nothing changes or time becomes a loop.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...+of+the+Moebius

There is the theory of the Moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop. Loop where time becomes a. A loop where time becomes. Becomes a loop where time. Time becomes a loop where. Where time becomes a loop.

The Theory of the Moebius... When we reach that point, whatever happened will happen again.

Put at least 10% of the tax revenue from North Sea oil into funding its eventual replacement energy source (non-nuclear).

Move the seat of government out of London, and force through the channel tunnel plans so that they eventually result in a national TGV type system.

Limit mortgage lending multiples to historical norms (3.5).

Never put through right to buy legislation.

Limit the amount of land any one person can own.

Allow the building of short lifespan constructions in non-sensitive greenbelt areas.

Allow permanent mooring on every meter of the canal system

Limit property ownership to one property per person, if it is not bought as a commercial rental property. Sliding scale of second home poll taxes hypothecated to support financing of long term residents of the area.

MP Village to be built in near new parliament, providing enough living space for the cross section of MP's, accomodation and running costs provided by the state and held under ownership of the state.

I wonder what Brown would think if he knew people dreamt about going back in time to stop him from ruining the country. Before Ive only ever heard of someone say something like that of Hitler.

Stop the US giving away money after 9/11.

They Dot com crash should have been big enough for people to get it but then all of a sudden youcould borrow money at a rate lower than real infaltion, at which point it made sense to try to borrow all of it to buy anything you could ( it didn;t really matter as long as you could sell it again.

First of all, I would go and find Jane Fonda in her Barbarella outfits so that I had a close companion for my heroic mission through Time. After that I would... Um, where were we? ;)

You will cause a paradox, if you go back in time and change history you create the problem that you wouldn't have had any need to build a time machine as the need for you to invent it is gone, therefore you never did. Which means you never went back to change history. Therefore nothing changes or time becomes a loop.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...+of+the+Moebius

Part of my experiment will be to ascertain whether this is the case or not. There's an equal chance that although I go back in time, I create a different reality where, although the event that caused me to go back wouldn't have happened, I will still be back there nonetheless, simply from a future that I changed. You could also argue that because the future hadn't occurred at that point, then I couldn't go back to create that situation. Nevertheless, the proof will be in the pudding; if it works, then it works! If it doesn't then I will report back as such.

Good suggestions so far though, although it might be hard to remember them all.

Edited by Biffo the Bear

Guest LongBlackKilt

I would have reduced the number of nodding donkeys.

I wonder what Brown would think if he knew people dreamt about going back in time to stop him from ruining the country. Before Ive only ever heard of someone say something like that of Hitler.

It's not about Brown.. after all, he's just a symptom of what society has become - self-serving beyond all else under the guise of altruism.

I don't think it started with Brown, I really believe it started with the destruction of our manufacturing industry and our wasting of the North Sea oil revenues to support the remodelling of society into a less caring, high car ownership, high property owning one.

Get people into debt, it's easier to control them. Quite funny really as my boss is constantly trying to encourage us to borrow money so we can buy gadgets. The handy consequence of this is that we of course then "need" to keep employed and can't afford an employment gap.

Clear those debts though and the power relationship and labour mobility is switched around.

Thatcher's move was quite clever. It was sold as a push to an entrepenurial culture and meritocracy, but we still have a land owning aristocracy as the greatest wealth owners in the country. She was willing to bring in a poll tax, but unwilling to bring in a land tax, funny that.

So I'd say most probably from after Callaghan we've been heading down this route. Our politics since then has really all been about self-interest.

Guest Bart of Darkness

If You Could Go Back And Stop It All From Happening, How Would You Do It?

I'd travel back a few years and give myself the winning Lotto numbers for a double or triple rollover.

OK, it wouldn't change the wider picture but I'd be rich enough not to care.

(Or I'm I being a little too self-centered here?)

Part of my experiment will be to ascertain whether this is the case or not. There's an equal chance that although I go back in time, I create a different reality where, although the event that caused me to go back wouldn't have happened, I will still be back there nonetheless, simply from a future that I changed. You could also argue that because the future hadn't occurred at that point, then I couldn't go back to create that situation. Nevertheless, the proof will be in the pudding; if it works, then it works! If it doesn't then I will report back as such.

Good suggestions so far though, although it might be hard to remember them all.

Data: Doctor, I think we are seeing a multi-phasic disturbance of Time and anti-Time in the Space Time Continuum

Crusher: Shut up you giant talking vibrator! Come here and proove that you can outdo the energiser bunny! :blink:

Did they really say that on Trek?

Well, everything really. Somewhere along the line something went wrong, and look at the horrible selfish world in which we find ourselves. HPI is just one of the symptoms of it.

It's always been the same, ever since Og bashed Ug over the head with a mammoth bone because he had a nicer cave.