House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DustyDog

Why Can't All Forms Of Public Transport Be Free To All People?

Why can't all forms of public transport be free to all people?

I'm talking about buses and trains.

Why not make them completely free to everyone, no matter where you live or want to go?

People would voluntarily give up their cars if they can get to work for free using public transport.

All the money that currently gets spent on road building, speed cameras, traffic police and the like could be used to pay for improving the public transport infrastructure.

Forget the VED increases that have just been announced. That's just a tax for the pleasure of owning a car. Bung a couple of quid on petrol to compensate.

The roads would be conjestion free. If people want to drive to visit the inlaws for the weekend then let them, but if they also know that it won't cost them a penny to go there by train and bus then It's pretty obvious which mode of transport they will opt for.

Seems a no-brainer to me. Just need to find a politician to back it.

(erm...where's my brain?)

I used to work for a local(newcastle) bus company,we recieved passes that allowed free travel on all local buses and the metro.I would say about 80% of the staff used cars to travel to work,a 15minute car drive can take 45 mins on the bus.Many public transport users behavior leaves alot to be desired.

When they do manage to force us from our cars,they will have to tax public transport revenues to replace lost fuel and other vehicle taxes.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I used to work for a local (Newcastle) bus company,we received passes that allowed free travel on all local buses and the metro. I would say about 80% of the staff used cars to travel to work

A mate of mine works for First Bus at Rotherham. He's in pretty much the same position. Could travel for free, but doesn't.

(As I said, he works for First, so he knows what their so-called "service" is like.)

I'm starting to use cabs more and more these days rather than take the bus. It's quicker, a much more pleasent journey and I'm not lining the pockets of those robber barons at First.

Worth the extra expense IMO.

Because doing so would create massive and unsustainable demand for discretionary travel. If public transport was free I'd be on the train or the plane to friends and relatives in other parts of the country virtually every weekend, except for the weekends they come to me. At £94 for a saver return to London, I only make such trips two or three times a year.

People would voluntarily give up their cars if they can get to work for free using public transport.

Except for journeys where no public transport exists. If you live in Little Snottington which has one bus a day to somewhere you don't want or need to go, then commuting by public transport isn't an option. Making public transport free would have the effect of forcing rural communities to pay a massive subsidy to urban ones (so Labour might find such a policy attractive, I guess!).

But the demand issue would be the main problem. You would save money by not having to have ticket sales or revenue enforcement infrastructure, but the extra trains and buses you'd need to meet the additional demand would offset that many times over.

Theres your answer.

Its already hugely subsidised (despite being anything but public). If everyone used it and no one used cars they would have to find countless billions from somewhere else.

I'm talking about buses and trains.

Why not make them completely free to everyone, no matter where you live or want to go?

All the money that currently gets spent on road building, speed cameras, traffic police and the like could be used to pay for improving the public transport infrastructure.

Forget the VED increases that have just been announced. That's just a tax for the pleasure of owning a car. Bung a couple of quid on petrol to compensate.

The roads would be conjestion free. If people want to drive to visit the inlaws for the weekend then let them, but if they also know that it won't cost them a penny to go there by train and bus then It's pretty obvious which mode of transport they will opt for.

Seems a no-brainer to me. Just need to find a politician to back it.

(erm...where's my brain?)

Truth is You can't bang sombody else's missis, in the back of a buss or train. I think this only happens on you tude not our tube