House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Heartbreak Home:

Did you not see the identically titled other thread on this?

No, I didn't. I had a look back a few pages but didn't see one. Must have missed it. I only just got out of bed though. Had a crap night, can't sleep of late for some reason.

Here it is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...e.html?ITO=1490

Household bills are now soaring out of proportion. Diana Appleyard describes the effect it has had on her own family

"Two days ago, I sat in my kitchen,staring at a bill lying on the table, hardly able to believe my eyes. The cost of two tanks of oil, simply to heat our water and provide fuel for a truly ancient Aga, was £2,200."

What an ugly house.

This story completely sums up why houses are a lousy investment to be holding in an economic downturn.

She could drop her price to £250,000, pay off her debts, put the proceeds in the bank and use the interest to pay for a nice rental. Assuming she has no mortgage, which isn't actually stated in the article.

Or go out and get a better job, or a second job. Why did she think that sending her children to private school was an option when she only earns £1500 per month? Downsizing is not the only option. It sounds like there are tons of things she could cut back on first.

No, I didn't. I had a look back a few pages but didn't see one. Must have missed it. I only just got out of bed though. Had a crap night, can't sleep of late for some reason.

your just too excited, like a kid on Christmas eve?

What an ugly house.

This story completely sums up why houses are a lousy investment to be holding in an economic downturn.

She could drop her price to £250,000, pay off her debts, put the proceeds in the bank and use the interest to pay for a nice rental. Assuming she has no mortgage, which isn't actually stated in the article.

Or go out and get a better job, or a second job. Why did she think that sending her children to private school was an option when she only earns £1500 per month? Downsizing is not the only option. It sounds like there are tons of things she could cut back on first.

Yep

increase income

rent

add interest from capital to income

living in yesterday's mindset.

Nick

classic case of people living beyond their means

£1500/mth 3 kids at private school

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you forgot about the gym membership

WTF! When my grandmother died and left my mother and her 8 siblings on their own, my mother who was 14 at the time was responsible for the younger kids whilst her father and older sisters, who were 16 & 18 went out to work. They lived in a two bed flat and no they didn't have an x3 between them.

One of the interesting facets of people these days is that they simply do not believe in bad luck, or a down turn in their fortunes, so they continue living the good life despite the fact that they simply cannot afford it.

Sell the house, get in a rental property, and get the older kids out to work. Oh, and sell the pointless crap like the x3. I don't have sympathy for people who are comparatively well off and yet cannot look after themselves.

Expect to see more of this in the coming months.