House Price Crash Forum

Salary £1500 pm

School fees £20k pa

Keeping the X3 on the road...priceless

Not sure how to quote this, but I once dated a fellow who never forgave his dad for going bankrupt. It was a real stigma and issue for him. I thought it was sad, really. They were both tossers, but still, I never thought that a child would be so arrogant.

Salary £1500 pm

School fees £20k pa

The real sadness of this story is that this lady is in this state due to the sudden and unexpected death of her husband, she has tried to maintain a lifestyle for her children. We should all be looking at the future for our families if something unexpected happens.

The real sadness of this story is that this lady is in this state due to the sudden and unexpected death of her husband

<pablopatito logs off housepricecrash.co.uk in order to arrange life insurance>

I have never felt more alone and vulnerable, but I need to be strong for my children. I can't bear the thought of telling them that we are so poor we will have to buy non organic eggs now in order to keep them in private schooling and the gym membership. What will my friends think? The pressure is unbearable.

Poor cow.

Poor cow.

It makes one feel quite fortunate having been brought up with sugar sandwiches and making crap dens in the local scrap land. Her children will NEVER forgive her for this.

As far as I can see she was given a £500K house mortgage free and has blown it all.

She should take the children out of private school, and rent a 4-bed terrace in a dodgy area; then she might survive.

This article actually pissed me off!

I know this woman has had a really shit time, I'd never wish anyone's partner to die, but FFS! Why not just make the children go to state school? She's mental putting herself under so much pressure when the obvious answer is to move her little darlings into a state school. She has no mortgage to pay so the £1500 she earns would be more than enough to support her family.

I think her 18 year old son needs to get a job and start paying some bills as well, lazy ****!

I know this woman has had a really shit time, I'd never wish anyone's partner to die, but FFS! Why not just make the children go to state school? She's mental putting herself under so much pressure when the obvious answer is to move her little darlings into a state school. She has no mortgage to pay so the £1500 she earns would be more than enough to support her family.

I think her 18 year old son needs to get a job and start paying some bills as well, lazy ****!

He needs to learn to dress properly. Orange T-Shirt with those shoes. Jesus.

And just how is she preparing her children for the realiies of life???

They are not toddlers - they should be getting part time out of school jobs and helping their mum/family.

Reality checks don't come much bigger.

And why move to another 4 bed detached???

What a load of sh!t. She hasn't adjusted her spending after her husbands death. I have commented, and l'm sure they will print it. (i nicked a line from a poster on here so cheers in advance)

Something doesn`t up add here - even if her husband had been a retail manager it hardly would have justified the lifestyle they has together with a six-bedroom house - thats Company Director type property - also if she has to make a 50 mile round-trip everyday and spend 20k a year to boot on private schooling then how on earth did she expect to get 500K for a house in an area with obviously poor State Schools -something just doesn`t ring true .

And how many dental receptionists earn £1500 a month take home -more like £1000 at best ...

Edited by Wires 74

I think in retrospect she would probably agree with you but it is amazing what people do to protect their kids from the harsh realities of life! I think the sad thing is that she appears not to have had anyone she could discuss this with or maybe that is the Mails slant on the story.

I was interested that she got the call that the house sale had failed when she was at the gym, maybe that was another luxury she felt she had to have! Interesting to think that some peoples luxuries are other peoples necesities!

I believe these are known as "5 star" problems. Her husband died EIGHT years ago, presumably leaving her mortgage free ( I didn't spot any mention of mortgage payments.) I'm afraid in my book this comes into the category of "Life's a bitch". OK, if any of the kids were within a couple of years of important exams then keep them at the school, but after that you have to cut your coat according to your cloth.

Mid-March, 2008

"I am hearing rumours of a downturn in the housing market, and there are very worrying reports of a 'credit crunch' coming over here from the U.S. I've got no idea what this is"

- that's what reading the Daily Wail does to you

Salary £1500 pm

School fees £20k pa

The article seems very tongue in cheek. Especially the bit about the X3. The worrying thing is that people like this dont just exist, the country is full of them.

From Daily Mail

One woman's blow by blow account of what it's like trying to sell a house in the credit crunch :

Too big to post, Link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...dit-crunch.html

I feel sorry for the family for the loss of the father/husband but i think the lady could hae done more to avert this situation.

I think it more a case of mismanagement that of a uncontrollable sad story.

I ended the call and went and slumped in a chair. What am I going to do? I can't afford the petrol to get the kids to school.

The more I read the more I feel peed off. She can't afford the petrol but

I try not to appear too eager, but I have now put in a bid of £420,000 on the town house in Evesham

She makes an offer of £420K! unbelievable bullsh*t

It makes one feel quite fortunate having been brought up with sugar sandwiches and making crap dens in the local scrap land. Her children will NEVER forgive her for this.

Sugar sandwiches, that takes me back! I'd completely forgotten about them until I read that. No-one seems to eat jam sandwiches any more either. Odd that because they're both quite nice from what I recall.

Guest An Bearin Bui

A very bizarre story - for 8 years she hasn't adjusted her lifestyle in any way to reflect the loss of the household's main earner. It's just a complete denial of reality on her behalf. £1500 per month is a heck of a lot of money for a dentist's receptionist but is not enough to keep 3 kids in a private school and a large house. Most families would struggle to meet basic expenses on that kind of money, let alone afford luxuries like a large house, a BMW and private schooling. In fact, it makes you wonder how they ever afforded their lifestyle as her late husband was just a retail manager. At best he would have been on £60k - even with her additional salary that's not enough for the high-end lifestyle she seems to think is normal, not in the South-East of England anyway where even in the 1990s a six-bed family home would have cost you a fortune.

As always with these media tales of woe, something does not add up with these people's finances.

Looks like she needs to get on out on the dating scene and find a new husband / cash machine to start paying the bills as she clearly can't afford the bills on her own. :lol: Of course her rugby-player type son could decide to get a job full-time and start contributing to the household expenses - but it wouldn't be fair to make the poor darling live in the real world and feel some responsibility for his widowed mother and younger siblings now, would it? Much easier to just borrow money and assume your house will go up in value eternally... :rolleyes:

Why not just make the children go to state school?

To be absolutely fair, her 18 yr old was probably in the middle of his A level courses when she realised just how bad things were, and no parent wants their kid to change schools at such a time. Any other local school might well be doing same subjs. but with different exam boards and syllabuses.

It would have made 100% sense to move the younger ones, but I can still just about understand why she didn't want to inflict another massive upheaval on them, after the trauma of losing their father so suddenly.

Why on earth she didn't at least cancel the gym sub, though...