House Price Crash Forum

Bedford

HOLA441

Anyone know what is happening to the redevelopment of the old BT building in Bedford? I used to live there and the developers who bought the site were advertising 'luxury town centre living' from only 125k last year. My bet is that the site will be sold off for social housing (apart from the top floor which was bought by a well known Bedford born premeirship footballer who has a habit of falling over in the 18 yd box).

HOLA442
HOLA443

Ok apologies for quality of photos and for the fact they are reduced, i'm not as clever as some of the other posters here. My phone camera isn't that brilliant either. Ok enough of the excuses.

This is the development we are talking about Link to "The Heights"

I had to go back towards town to get the view that shows right through.

afar.JPG

This is a bit closer.

a_little_closer.JPG

And closer still.

closer_still.JPG

But the big surprise was . . . .

big_surprise.JPG

Guess they decided putting sales staff in a glass box with no human contact was mental cruelty. Mind you that doesn't explain Big Brother.

post-12481-1215781567_thumb.jpg

post-12481-1215781768_thumb.jpg

post-12481-1215781861_thumb.jpg

post-12481-1215781970_thumb.jpg

HOLA444
Ok apologies for quality of photos and for the fact they are reduced, i'm not as clever as some of the other posters here. My phone camera isn't that brilliant either. Ok enough of the excuses.

afar.JPG

This is a bit closer.

a_little_closer.JPG

And closer still.

closer_still.JPG

big_surprise.JPG

Guess they decided putting sales staff in a glass box with no human contact was mental cruelty. Mind you that doesn't explain Big Brother.

Oh dear, only 2 sold and the sales office shut. Looks like Andy Johnson has bought into a social housing development. Perhaps they will re-name the development by putting an 'S' in front of heights. :P

HOLA445
HOLA446

Bedford is toast. Bedford has little jobs and job creation. It is overun by foreigners these days. Links to the M1 are crap. Local roads are terrible and clogged up. This BT building plus the other new flats on which used to be a car park at the back of the High Street Mc Donalds are going down down down. Theres no way there is a demand for that many flats, and really given the lack of jobs and nightmare traffic who would want to live in Bedford anyway!??!

HOLA447
Bedford is toast. Bedford has little jobs and job creation. It is overun by foreigners these days. Links to the M1 are crap. Local roads are terrible and clogged up. This BT building plus the other new flats on which used to be a car park at the back of the High Street Mc Donalds are going down down down. Theres no way there is a demand for that many flats, and really given the lack of jobs and nightmare traffic who would want to live in Bedford anyway!??!

I agree completely, the place is rapidly declining.

Traffic can be a real problem at the usual pinch times. Very few good paying jobs and lots of foreigners generally adding to its disdain and uselessness.

However, one plus point - I used the park and ride the other day, that was OK. Despite two problems:

1) The bus driver had the heating on inside the bus, it was a baking hot day, I was sweltering

2) There was no sign at the bus station in Bedford directing you to the pick up point for the return bus journey - Had to ask a random bus driver where it was

The new village they are building outside of Bedford (the name escapes me) - Where are they going to work? Or will the mugs buying the overpriced rabbit hutches, 10 metres from a busy dual carriageway, all rely on their cars even more so than they already do?

HOLA448

afar.JPG

This is a bit closer.

a_little_closer.JPG

And closer still.

closer_still.JPG

big_surprise.JPG

Dont take this the wrong way but i did not like your photos they did not even have any glass in the windows, you probably used the wrong kind of flash, the heights company website was much better.

HOLA449

The Heights BT tower is made up of 50% social housing. The fact that you will get your car vandalised by the affordable housing tennants and the credit crunch will cripple this housing scheme. When it first came on to the market I went into the sales office and was told to act quickly as they would sell our fast lol. The few that did jump on the bandwagon are now bailing out and loosing their deposits. Penthouses are now back on the market the best one is 325K.

The developers were showing which appartments are available on the heights website. But they have stipped showing which ones are reserved as it is getting embarrasing for them, and they cant have people knowing that no one is buying into their lifestyle apartments. They have stopped all advertising, I think they are hoping that when they finish the building the market will be in a better state, which is wishfull thinking.

Time and Tide couldnt have got this venture more wrong :lol:

Totally missed the boat to tempt the middleclass amature investors that the Castle Lane development managed to do. Though they are bailing out now too. Bedford will be a bloodbath......

See you in the Alsop auctions

HOLA4410
-snip-

Totally missed the boat to tempt the middleclass amature investors that the Castle Lane development managed to do. Though they are bailing out now too. -snip-

Yes its amazing how many "limited opportunities" there are to purchase quality apartments at castle lane given that it was fully sold out at launch.

The other half of the Omega site has yet to hit the markets plus the St. Mary's square development. I wouldn't mind betting that St. Mary's square may not go ahead.

Edit: t. to St. omega to Omega

Edited by Driver

HOLA4411
  • 10 months later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Theyre dualling the A421 all the way to the M1 right now. Plus that western bypass is being finished, plus it wasnt long ago the A421 was dualled all the way to the A1(M). Bedfords got its problems, but traffic, compared to Cambridge or Northampton isnt bad, and when all the new roads are finished should be pretty good.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4584.aspx

HOLA4415
Dont take this the wrong way but i did not like your photos they did not even have any glass in the windows, you probably used the wrong kind of flash, the heights company website was much better.

:lol:

Actually, looks like the website has disappeared altogether.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Bedford sounds a bit like Slough was a few years ago, but one point really is worrying - How can McDonalds go down, down, down when they have been sh1te since the start? Are the cockroach burgers not that tasty these days :lol: