House Price Crash Forum

Perhaps Swansea Will Avoid Housing Crash Now?

HOLA441

Phew, this is a relief. I was so worried after reading FP's interview in the South Wales Evening Post a few weeks ago that house prices might crash in Swansea. Looks like there is nothing to worry about after all. I am sure this article will bring much relief to all the house sellers in Swansea who read it tonight. :unsure:

Around 290 or so swish apartments set in seven different blocks are fast taking shape.

Fewer than 40 are left.

Not bad, you have to admit, given the current housing climate.

Of course, it isn't without its critics. It is thought around half of the apartments have been snapped up on a buy-to-let basis, meaning some might not be occupied year-round. Its biggest selling point - the prime location - has also not gone unnoticed by some who argue they do not want to see Swansea become a seafront tangle of high-rise blocks.

But what people are buying into, particularly in the tower's upper floors, remains unique whichever way you look at it.

I don't know why but when I was reading this article I suddenly found myself hearing and visualising Danny Kaye singing "The King is in the altogether, the altogether..." from 'The Emperor's New Clothes' in his film portrayal of Hans Christian Andersen! I don't know why, it just started in my head. I don't normally have Danny Kaye singing in my head but I hope he comes back and sings something else. Do you think I should go and see my GP? :unsure:

Anyhow, I am really glad to hear that things are doing really well for Swansea property! :rolleyes:

Full Post article ere:

VIEWS TO BEAT GLOOM

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayN...e=sidebarsearch

Here's a bit of classic hilarious Danny Kaye for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-5AVDemQPE...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYzbkk5X4M

HOLA442
Phew, this is a relief. I was so worried after reading FP's interview in the South Wales Evening Post a few weeks ago that house prices might crash in Swansea. Looks like there is nothing to worry about after all. I am sure this article will bring much relief to all the house sellers in Swansea who read it tonight. :unsure:

I don't know why but when I was reading this article I suddenly found myself hearing and visualising Danny Kaye singing "The King is in the altogether, the altogether..." from 'The Emperor's New Clothes' in his film portrayal of Hans Christian Andersen! I don't know why, it just started in my head. I don't normally have Danny Kaye singing in my head but I hope he comes back and sings something else. Do you think I should go and see my GP? :unsure:

Anyhow, I am really glad to hear that things are doing really well for Swansea property! :rolleyes:

Full Post article ere:

VIEWS TO BEAT GLOOM

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayN...e=sidebarsearch

Here's a bit of classic hilarious Danny Kaye for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-5AVDemQPE...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYzbkk5X4M

One of my favourite stars of the 40s (and onwards of course). Big fan me.

Can't click the links, so don't know what the clips are, but how about we all sing "Everything is Tikkity boo" from the film Merry Andrew. That would make everyone feel better.

HOLA443
Around 290 or so swish apartments set in seven different blocks are fast taking shape.

Fewer than 40 are left.

Not bad, you have to admit, given the current housing climate.

Well lets keep track of SA1 - Swansea Waterfront.

I'm sure most were purchased / reserved a long time ago. It'll be interesting to see how quickly they come back onto the market.

HOLA444

Can't click the links, so don't know what the clips are, but how about we all sing "Everything is Tikkity boo" from the film Merry Andrew. That would make everyone feel better.

One link is the hilarious poison and the pellet scene, another is him and Bing Crosby dancing 'I wish I was back in the army' from 'White Christmas' and the third is 'The Emperor's New Clothes' from 'Hans Christian Andersen'.

People forget that he just ab-libbed a great of his material and his dancing was superb. Genius.

HOLA445

Isn't the Thursday post the big fat property one? (been 13 yrs, so apols if wrong)

How thick is it these days MT?

Go quiet for a while, then ramp with vigour having had the girls selling to the poor EAs for days first.

I wonder how many have not paid their accounts.....

HOLA446
Isn't the Thursday post the big fat property one? (been 13 yrs, so apols if wrong)

How thick is it these days MT?

Go quiet for a while, then ramp with vigour having had the girls selling to the poor EAs for days first.

I wonder how many have not paid their accounts.....

Think it is a Tues now - pick mine up in the Nationwide but the Nationwide no longer seems to have them. Odd that!?

I haven't bothered with it for a month or so but it was not that thick last time I looked IIRC and it seemed that a large number of ads were lettings.

HOLA447

I'm not sure we should be encouraging bulls no matter how entertaining. You fail to realise that Danny Kaye was guilty of distorting the post-war Danish real estate market with his ramping song Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen.

OK I'll go quietly................

HOLA448
Well lets keep track of SA1 - Swansea Waterfront.

I'm sure most were purchased / reserved a long time ago. It'll be interesting to see how quickly they come back onto the market.

Just checked it on property bee - I'm impressed by the number of POA (trans: price is falling but we're not telling) and "fixed price" flats. I bet they're glad they're "fixed price" otheriwse they'd have to drop the price...

HOLA449
One link is the hilarious poison and the pellet scene, another is him and Bing Crosby dancing 'I wish I was back in the army' from 'White Christmas' and the third is 'The Emperor's New Clothes' from 'Hans Christian Andersen'.

People forget that he just ab-libbed a great of his material and his dancing was superb. Genius.

Ah, the pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle.

The chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true.

Genius indeed.

And you don't get much of his stuff on DVD either. I have an old R1 Walter Mitty and the court jester, a mate had Wonder Man, but I have yet to see A song is born on DVD (have an old VHS copy) and it is much under-rated IMO.

Talking of genius I watched the prog on Marty Feldman last night, and I didn't realise that it was him and Tim Brooke-Taylor that wrote 4 yorkshiremen and Monty Python nicked it from At last the 1948 show.

Sorry got a bit off topic there.

As you were.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Just checked it on property bee - I'm impressed by the number of POA (trans: price is falling but we're not telling) and "fixed price" flats. I bet they're glad they're "fixed price" otheriwse they'd have to drop the price...

You should have seen the numbers before several EAs stopped advertising on RM.

HOLA4412
Ah, the pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle.

The chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true.

Genius indeed.

And you don't get much of his stuff on DVD either. I have an old R1 Walter Mitty and the court jester, a mate had Wonder Man, but I have yet to see A song is born on DVD (have an old VHS copy) and it is much under-rated IMO.

Talking of genius I watched the prog on Marty Feldman last night, and I didn't realise that it was him and Tim Brooke-Taylor that wrote 4 yorkshiremen and Monty Python nicked it from At last the 1948 show.

Sorry got a bit off topic there.

As you were.

No, DK is brilliant - a real talent, sings, dances, act, comedian, comic actor of the finest order. I find it fun watching the other actors in the scenes with him because you can sometimes see, by the looks on their faces, that they know they are in the presence of genius and also, sometimes by their nervous stance, that they are unsure where he is going to go next. People forget how we really stirred up the cinema when he arrived in the 1940s. His first film literally made him a star.

Marty Feldman is another genius - sadly unknown by many today. I know it is often said but his double-act with Gene Wilder in 'Young Frankenstein' is brilliant. Again, sheer genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZybFl_pfMk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-qcZ7c9Kk

And because I have just discovered the superb John Denver singing this wonderful song about Wales I am going to stick it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxrAsNY9Zw...feature=related

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The Big question is will the ones that have been sold be able to complete the purchase. On new build exchanging contracts and completion are two different things.

In the Wales sub-forum there are a few posts stating that a number of Swansea West people are very worried by their 'investments' in the marina.

If you come to Swansea on hols you want a B&B in the Mumbles or a cottage on the Gower and, IMPO, not a flat in a town centre.

HOLA4415

The cynic in me suspects warts behind the spin and I think the clue lies in these two sentences.

Launched in the summer 2006 .......
Dewi, a fabricator at Swansea's Visteon plant, bought the property off-plan when the scheme first hit the market two years ago.

How many apartments has 'encylopedic Chris' sold in the the last 6 weeks I wonder? The country is full of developments with '40 apartments left to sell'. The apartments that have 'sold' come fully furnished with desperate 'would be owners' looking for ways out of the contract.

HOLA4416
The cynic in me suspects warts behind the spin and I think the clue lies in these two sentences.

How many apartments has 'encylopedic Chris' sold in the the last 6 weeks I wonder? The country is full of developments with '40 apartments left to sell'. The apartments that have 'sold' come fully furnished with desperate 'would be owners' looking for ways out of the contract.

Ive mentioned it a million times on here: the Birmingham Rotunda (search the forum for one of the many threads / comments).

People queued over night in 2005 to buy one...they were finally completed in and were ready for their occupants in mid May this year.

Look on RM for the number of flats that are still for rent....there's hundreds and landlords and having to drop their prices.

Also, some are giving up and selling below cost price.

These schemes are a sham.

HOLA4417
Ive mentioned it a million times on here: the Birmingham Rotunda (search the forum for one of the many threads / comments).

People queued over night in 2005 to buy one...they were finally completed in and were ready for their occupants in mid May this year.

Look on RM for the number of flats that are still for rent....there's hundreds and landlords and having to drop their prices.

Also, some are giving up and selling below cost price.

These schemes are a sham.

:D:D:D:D

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

TMT

I have not been to Swansea for over a year so cannot comment on the current market there but I once owned a 2 bed apartment in Blackpill (opposite the pitch and putt course).

I bought that in mid 2000 for £76.950 and rented for 4 years to a number grad doctors at Singleton, I wanted to keep it views across the bay and not like these modern apartments it was well built.

Anyhow I put it on the market mid 2004 for £199k and it sold within 2 weeks for £195k.

I have been keeping an eye of this area and it seems I sold at the right time, since 2005 the prices being achieved are no where near what I sold for, mine was the first floor with views but still the asking prices there since 2005 have been no more than £180k so my experience Swansea property peaked 2005.

I think apartments / flats have been hit harder because the number of new builds that have gone up in SA1 and Morfa over the last few years, they seem to only build apartments or those so called townhouses.

HOLA4420
TMT

I have not been to Swansea for over a year so cannot comment on the current market there but I once owned a 2 bed apartment in Blackpill (opposite the pitch and putt course).

I bought that in mid 2000 for £76.950 and rented for 4 years to a number grad doctors at Singleton, I wanted to keep it views across the bay and not like these modern apartments it was well built.

Anyhow I put it on the market mid 2004 for £199k and it sold within 2 weeks for £195k.

I have been keeping an eye of this area and it seems I sold at the right time, since 2005 the prices being achieved are no where near what I sold for, mine was the first floor with views but still the asking prices there since 2005 have been no more than £180k so my experience Swansea property peaked 2005.

I think apartments / flats have been hit harder because the number of new builds that have gone up in SA1 and Morfa over the last few years, they seem to only build apartments or those so called townhouses.

If you look for SA1 on Rightmove for places to rent about 120 places come up - mostly flats - and that is before you realise that several EAs have stopped advertising on RM. Goodness knows how many flats are empty looking for tennants... ignoring all those that are still being built... and SA1 postcode does not take into account all those new flats being built up in Bonymaen... I mean, Morfa.

Add to that all the BTL properties in Brynmill and the Uplands... I had a walk through Singleton Park last week around the back of the Uni and was amazed how many blocks of apparemtents the Uni is building. If you take one of the buses that drives through the Uni you get a good idea that the Uni is about to take an awful lot of tennants away from the private landlords with all that building.

Then there are all the new blocks being built in places like Princess Way or on St. Helen's Road.

IMPO there is a glut already.

Oh, and where I am renting I can literally open my front door and within a 2 minute walk there are numerous, currently empty, properties all with 'To Let' signs outside.

Swansea is in big denial IMPO and the coming recession is going to see an awful lot of Jacks go bankrupt. Non wonder people aren't reducing their asking prices on houses for sale - I don't think many can afford to withouth walking away in big debt... plus that old snob thing we have going on in Swansea.

HOLA4421
If you look for SA1 on Rightmove for places to rent about 120 places come up - mostly flats - and that is before you realise that several EAs have stopped advertising on RM. Goodness knows how many flats are empty looking for tennants... ignoring all those that are still being built... and SA1 postcode does not take into account all those new flats being built up in Bonymaen... I mean, Morfa.

Add to that all the BTL properties in Brynmill and the Uplands... I had a walk through Singleton Park last week around the back of the Uni and was amazed how many blocks of apparemtents the Uni is building. If you take one of the buses that drives through the Uni you get a good idea that the Uni is about to take an awful lot of tennants away from the private landlords with all that building.

Then there are all the new blocks being built in places like Princess Way or on St. Helen's Road.

IMPO there is a glut already.

Oh, and where I am renting I can literally open my front door and within a 2 minute walk there are numerous, currently empty, properties all with 'To Let' signs outside.

Swansea is in big denial IMPO and the coming recession is going to see an awful lot of Jacks go bankrupt. Non wonder people aren't reducing their asking prices on houses for sale - I don't think many can afford to withouth walking away in big debt... plus that old snob thing we have going on in Swansea.

Port Tenant and the like will suffer badly in any downturn, prices have been inflated due to the SA1 development but on the other hand I think Langland , Caswell etc will always do well, the place is an area of outstanding beauty,

I have a number of Friends still living in Swansea and the last time I was down there, (Christmas 2006) I spent 3 nights in Mayals and 3 nights down Caswell, You would never think you were in Swansea, waking up each morning over looking the bay.

I just cannot see silly falls in this area, there are a great number of properties owned and lived in by those working or now reitred from working in London and Bristol.

The people living down there are often not locals, they are middle class ex Barristers , Judges you name it they are all down Langland & Caswell, I was surprised myself.