House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sheer Heart Attack

Housing Market Crisis - The Bloodshed Spreads

Your views on housing market crisis

Several UK housebuilders including Barratt and Persimmon have announced sweeping job cuts due to the downturn in the housing market.
The crisis has also had a knock on effect for other businesses.
Here are a selection of comments from BBC News website readers...
My husband is currently employed by Barratt Developments and has been notified that he is 'at risk' of redundancy. The first notification we had of this was last week. We still do not know when he will find out the position regarding his employment.
Vicky, North East England
We are a sub-contractor supplying to UK housebuilders and the affect on the wider economy is massive.
I am laying off staff weekly.
4,000 direct employees of UK housebuilders have lost their jobs this week. If this was another industry it would be the main news every night and we would have MPs wringing their hands about a British institute. The demand to purchase is there - the banks will not lend the money.
Peter, Manchester
I work for a small design consultancy whose work is 100% housebuilding. We do planning/ engineering designs/ architectural designs for people like Barratt/ Bloors etc and
our workload is 75% down on last year.
All our clients have been saying for 6 months that footfall through sales centres is consistent with last year. The banks completely screwed up lending "free" money to people who couldn't afford it, and now no one can afford to move house thanks to the banks being too tight.
Martin Philpott, Stratford upon Avon

Plenty more tales of woe at the link above.

Could it be that the only safe jobs during this downturn are public-purse hanger-ons, undertakers and debt counsellors?

Indeed, the crisis in construction is much worse than the headlines suggest.

If Barratt lay off 1200 staff it is the tip of the iceberg.

Generally house builders only have a maybe an engineer, a couple of labourers and a manager on a site. All the actual building is done by either self employed or sub-contract labour.

The figures are probably at least ten times worse than those portrayed in the news. The knock on from this will spill to suppliers, retailers etc etc.

Construction is a truely massive employer and its in trouble it does not look good for all the economy.

[deleted]

I work for a small design consultancy whose work is 100% housebuilding. We do planning/ engineering designs/ architectural designs for people like Barratt/ Bloors etc and our workload is 75% down on last year

News to me that Barratts employ > 1 designer. Are'nt all their boxes built to the same spec?

Edited by dryrot

News to me that Barratts employ > 1 designer. Are'nt all their boxes built to the same spec?

Nah they're continually looking at ways to fit more rooms into the same floorspace.

Guest sillybear2
Nah they're continually looking at ways to fit more rooms into the same floorspace.

tardis01.jpg

The Barratt 2020

The Barratt 2020

***JOB ADVERT****

Spacetime Designer Required

Working for large construction

firm, must have proven experience

fitting Spacewarp 60A switches.

Experience with laminate flooring

also required. £££'s for the right

candidate