House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

How Are Holiday Sales Doing?

With all this economic doom laden news coming thick and fast does anyone know how holiday sales are doing?

I heard on one of the news bulletins yesterday that 34% of people who usually holiday aboard are going to stay in the UK this year because of rising mortgage costs and other bills. I think they gave an example of a holiday that was about £300 last year but is £850 this year - bog standard Med family holiday I believe.

Have the airlines and the travel companies - adding surcharge after surcharge on the bills - shot themselves in the foot? Do you think they both will be forced to heavily discount flights and hols before the Summer is out?

With all this economic doom laden news coming thick and fast does anyone know how holiday sales are doing?

I heard on one of the news bulletins yesterday that 34% of people who usually holiday aboard are going to stay in the UK this year because of rising mortgage costs and other bills. I think they gave an example of a holiday that was about £300 last year but is £850 this year - bog standard Med family holiday I believe.

Have the airlines and the travel companies - adding surcharge after surcharge on the bills - shot themselves in the foot? Do you think they both will be forced to heavily discount flights and hols before the Summer is out?

i'm avoiding a foreign holiday this year but its more due to lack of days off, I'm planning a trip to the US next year.

However only my parents are going abroad this year and normally you get half a dozen people in the family jetting off.

Pretty much everyone is belt tightening and several people have been talking about moving jobs due to fuel costs. ( moving houses no longer being such a great option)

I was in a travel agent last week sending some money overseas and whilst waiting it was interesting observing the customers.

You had a bunch of people who came in asking about holidays, did not have a clue where they wished to go and seemed like timewasters... then you had a bunch of people who did want to go on holiday but also did not have a clue where they wanted to go...

It was bizarre sitting next to people who came in, had no idea what type of holiday they wanted or where... but within 20 - 30 minutes were handing over several thousand to pay for the holiday. I suppose they just needed a holiday.

I asked the staff how business was and I was told that there was no sign of a slow-down yet but that they were having to compete with internet prices.

UKInbound Stats: - [uK Inbound Tour Operators Association]

http://www.ukinbound.org/news.php?from=ind...l&story=149

Business Barometer April 2008

UKinbound is a trade organisation representing the inbound tourism industry in the UK. The association represents over 230 major companies and organisations in all sectors of the industry, operating 4000 plus outlets in the UK. Each month UKinbound produces a Business Barometer based on a confidential online survey of members, comparing visitor numbers and booking forecasts with a corresponding period in the previous year. The results shown below are weighted composite figures for all business sectors.

Visitor Arrivals Mar 2007 up 5.2% (in comparison with Mar 2006)

Apr 2007 down 4.5% (in comparison with Apr 2006)

May2007 up 3.3% (in comparison with May 2006)

Jun 2007 up 1.2% (in comparison with June 2006)

Jul 2007 up 0.2% (in comparison with Jul 2006)

Aug 2007 down 5.1% (in comparison with Aug 2006)

Sep 2007 up 0.4% (in comparison with Sep 2006)

Oct 2007 down 3.4% (in comparison with Oct 2006)

Nov 2007 down 4.2% (in comparison with Nov 2006)

Dec 2007 down 2.5% (in comparison with Dec 2006)

Jan 2008 down 3.9% (in comparison with Jan 2007)

Feb 2008 up 1.4% (in comparison with Feb 2007)

Mar 2008 up 2.3% (in comparison with Mar 2007)

Apr 2008 up 1.7% (in comparison with Apr 2007)

Forward Bookings Apr 2007 up 1.2% (in comparison with Mar 2006)

May 2007 up 0.8% (in comparison with May 2006)

Jun 2007 down 1.5% (in comparison with Jun 2006)

Jul 2007 up 1.8% (in comparison with Jul 2006)

Aug 2007 down 4.4% (in comparison with Aug 2006)

Sep 2007 down 1.6% (in comparison with Sep 2006)

Oct 2007 down 0.5% (in comparison with Oct 2006)

Nov 2007 down 2.3% (in comparison with Nov 2006)

Dec 2007 down 4.8% (in comparison with Dec 2006)

Jan 2008 down 2.6% (in comparison with Jan 2007)

Feb 2008 down 2.5% (in comparison with Feb 2007)

Mar 2008 down 5.4% (in comparison with Mar 2007)

Apr 2008 up 1.3% (in comparison with Apr2007)

----------------

I'm on holiday at the moment - I haven't seen a single British tourist so far, and I've been here 2 weeks.

I'm in a very popular EU tourist hotspot.

Guest Mr Parry
I'm on holiday at the moment - I haven't seen a single British tourist so far, and I've been here 2 weeks.

Very, very few Brits in Thailand. Mostly Scandi's.

I am in Malta at the moment and it is full of Brits. Plane was full on the way over.

Mind you I was reading The Times (Malta version) this morning and the Maltese economics minister was saying that the local housing market is dead even though local developers are still throwing up flats against all economic logic. When was the last time you heard Alastair Darling admit the economy is in dire straits?

The local Maltese business fair also had 30% less visitors this year and apparently.

I was recently looking to book my usual jaunt to the US for xmas shopping. Prices including taxes etc. are at least 40% up on last year. For example, a flight on Virgin in premium economy is about 750-800 quid. 300 of this is surcharges/taxes etc. This time last year I paid 525 (200 in extras) for the same December period. Looking at my sources so far the loads at xmas look very light.

Edited by contractor

Presumably a fair few holidays were booked & paid for months ago. I sorted my summer holiday in November - December last year.

So the interesting thing will be looking at bookings for summer 2009....

Edited by Shrink Proof

Presumably a fair few holidays were booked & paid for months ago. I sorted my summer holiday in November - Decemeber last year.

So the interesting thing will be looking at bookings for summer 2009....

My unqualified thoughts about Euro holidays

2007, Last summer the pound was at a high against the Euro. Holidays were cheap for us, goods were cheap abroad. This exchange rate and the Proles' holiday experiences went into the pricing and planning of this year's holiday deals.

2008, So this summer, the pound is at a low to the euro. Holidays are still cheap (priced on strong exchange rate last year) but the Europeans are not so happy with how little they're getting this year or the big travel operators are smarting from the foreign exchange hedge that they lost. Anyways the Proles will be happy with their cheap packages but not so happy with fuel surcharges and with how few Euros they got at the bureau de change.

2009, Who knows where the pound will be but whoever got stiffed over the exchange rate this year will want to make up for it next year. Prices will go through the roof. In anticipation, the operators will slash capacity/deals available next summer.

IMHO, the travel operators will be toasted next year, not this year. And the fall out will be marauding chavs no sun 'n' sangria hols.

Seriously?!

Where? I want to go, there is nothing more annoying than encountering "Brits abroad".

BBC 6 pm News last night featured Tenby in Wales. They can't fill the Hotels there, the only guy who was doing well was the local computer shop but not with new computers but people haveing their old ones repaired.

just got back from Egypt last night and we went five star exclusive and it was £1500 for the three of us all inclusive and the standard was exceptional.....but i have seen prices rise and places available fall since the beginning of the year..we found it hard to get to one of the canary islands in march for under a grand where last year we would only have paid £800..

Seriously?!

Where? I want to go, there is nothing more annoying than encountering "Brits abroad".

Black Sea coast. Have a look at some of my recent posts for pics.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I never go abroad. I can never understand foreign people and they always smell of unusual food.

Beginning of last month I booked to go to Florida with Cosmos from Manchester- OK I only booked a couple of days before we went but it cost us £204 each including Accom and hire car - sensational price and the plane was far from full I have to say ...

Took the opportunity to study the Housing market whilst I was there - grim - every time someone gets foreclosed they bang a big red sticker on their Garage doors ,where we were staying just outside Orlando at a place called Davenport every third villa seemed to be sporting one of these stickers ...

Edited by Wires 74

Took the opportunity to study the Housing market whilst I was there - grim - every time someone gets foreclosed they bang a big red sticker on their Garage doors ,where we were staying just outside Orlando at a place called Davenport every third villa seemed to be sporting one of these stickers ...

Red Stickers - I love the idea - It's like a plague warning!

My wife regularly checks out the "Owners Abroad" and similar websites. It's interesting that many of them that used to be priced in pounds are now only accepting payment in euros.

Our Caribbean internet holiday (accommodation mainly plus car/tour add-ons, no flights) sales is dead as the proverbial dodo. Inbound airlift is collapsing rapidly - 50%+ fewer flights from the USA to this entirely tourism dependent region of islands, and up to 40% less airlift from europe/UK. People and governments are starting to panic - xmas and winter high season bookings are way way down. As everywhere (although worse due to tiny island economies of scale and no home production) food and fuel is rocketing in price - so we will have inflation at the same time as mass unemployment - and it's all your "sheeples" fault for Mewing for years and forcing people to throw up highly leveraged hotels etc!

Many of our competitors will go bust, the plethora of internet portals dedicated to this region will be massively thinned out, especially where the companies concerned employ actual girls to answer the phone and have overheads. I have software to deal with enquiries and work alone from home so will survive with a lot of belt-tightening. Most of those firms destined to fail are the Sunday Times travel supplement type firms, hence those mags in turn will suffer big time. Some have gone bust already, along with a historical record of 25 airlines crashing this last 6 months. Read my other posts for more doom and gloom which is affecting/destroying the travel industry (except the goat-shagging one of course which was just silly).

MT, the 1/3 staying in the UK sounds like classic PR spin - trying to get people to think about holidaying at home rather than abroad. Market researchers usually ask you what you want to prove when you commission a survey. That's how my world works.

"Oh Gladys, more people are staying at home this year - must be a good thing to do - why don't we holiday in Bognor instead of Benidorm this year."

I can't see any evidence that this is the case. Perhaps people simply aren't going on holiday...

The domestic tourism industry is beginning to suffer very badly - I work for hotel chains and the like. I know. Whether it be holiday cottage owners, restaurants and cafes or hotels.

Edited by gruffydd

Forgot to say that last night I had a glossy brochure for a Florida holiday home rental pushed through my letter-box. At first I thought it was for some chain but when I went to the site it turned out to be a single home website and the number on the flyer pointed to a Carmarthen area telephone number. So I assume it is someone in Wales who owns and rents out a Florida house.

I personally thought that it seemed a tad desperate to advertise via a flyer... but perhaps it works?

Norwich Union carried out the survey you mentioned MT:

Norwich Union's Suzi Fenn said: "Understandably, people are looking to make savings on their holidays this year given the economic climate."

So you've got your angle to hook the next bit on...

However, she added: "The reality is that accidents and illnesses do happen on holiday, and you could end up footing an expensive medical bill if you haven't taken out proper cover."

PR Bingo

Edited by gruffydd

Hey Maskey just think about it.

With all these people not able to travel abroad for their hollidays they will start buying holliday homes on the Welsh coast again and we can burn them down again, and if we are really good we can do it when they are all still in the house. We can kill two birds with one stone like this mate. This is brilliant.

BTW I am only joking.

:lol:

On topic: I saw 2 weeks in Ibiza for £300 today - thats got to be desperate.