House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

New Ved Prices (road Tax)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7498884.stm[

url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm[/url]

parkers do a calculator in you dont know your band

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=22259

this is for my 1.6 LX petrol focus 5 door 2002

Rates effective from 13 March 2008

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)

4 Oct 2001 – 22 Dec 2004 £79.75 £145.00 D 163-165

Rates effective from April 2009

4 Oct 2001 – 22 Dec 2004 £96.25 £175.00 H 163-165

Rates effective from April 2010

4 Oct 2001 – 22 Dec 2004 £99.00 £180.00 H 163-165

it could be worse, over the next 2 years i'll pay an extra £65 on todays price

Edited by Monkey

The government is broke and is going to collapse.

Taxes to the moon, mega inflation and mass unemployment.

Result for the housing market? BOOOOOOOOM!

hpcs noticed this tax change as it was announced on budget day on the day we realised this was going to cause problems for millions of people and cause the price of second hand cars to crash. Green taxes are about repairing and reusing resourses, this tax will force people to scrap cars well before there natural life because of insane depreciation. The older cars cant even be exported (japan currently exports older performance cars) because no-one else in the world of any quantity drives on the left The change was as missed by all news channels and budget calculators for months... Hmm and I know my band... its G :angry:

Having said that I will look forwards to buying a second hand 2002->2008 performance car for peanuts when i get my next car

Edited by moosetea

The cutting tax for those who drive efficient cars is ******, in order to get lower car tax you will need a fuel tank the size of a pipet. Monkey, I cant believe your being penalised for driving a bog standard Focus!!!!1111!11

BTW if my 1.2l clio was 1 year older it would incur 25-30 quid higher tax based on co2 emmissions! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: What a con.

The cutting tax for those who drive efficient cars is ******, in order to get lower car tax you will need a fuel tank the size of a pipet. Monkey, I cant believe your being penalised for driving a bog standard Focus!!!!1111!11

BTW if my 1.2l clio was 1 year older it would incur 25-30 quid higher tax based on co2 emmissions! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: What a con.

But perversely if you own an older car (as I do) then you do not get charged any more

Why do they have such and odd cut off date?

My car is 10 years old now and surely is less efficient as a result than some of the newer cars that are being penalised.

Admittedly my car barely sniffs diesel, so bizarrely enough it may just have increased in value (it is practially worthless anyway) but it suits my purpose so I have no reason to change it.

It's all right for some...

Nissan 350Z Coupé (03 on)

3.5 V6 GT 3d

1 Oct 2003 – 17 Feb 2006 £115.50 £210.00 F 273

1 Oct 2003 – 17 Feb 2006 £165.00 £300.00 K 273

1 Oct 2003 – 17 Feb 2006 £250.25 £455.00 M 273

Not only am I getting stung with high fuel costs, but I'm getting bent over and shafted by the government for not being able to predict tax rises in the future (bought 53 model in 2005)!

I've actually been trying to sell the car for for a few months, but the car market for coupes is dead (predictably).

What gets me though, is why these retrospective taxes are being considered at all. Quite apart from the ethics of taxing people harder for decisions made on tax rates at the time, I don't see what "green" benefits these taxes provide.

Consider this:

- it takes energy to build a car, therefore attempts should be made to keep it running as long as is economically possible.

- if a car uses more fuel, then you're more likely to curb usage if the fuel prices go up.

- if you already have a car which uses lots of fuel, then what does the government expect you to do with it? Scrap it (thus not maximising build energy usage) or sell it to someone else (who then still has to use it, but also has to pay more tax). How exactly is this a "green" tax?! It's just a money grab!

While taxing inefficient new cars has merit (as less will be built, less fuel consumed as a result etc), taxing existing cars more makes no sense.

P.S. to make my stance clear, I think the threat of CO2 causing runaway climate warming is vastly exaggerated, but I do think it is important to use less oil as it's wasteful, expensive and of limited supply.

Edited by Traktion

Gordon Brown has told me I need to go and buy a smaller car.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall.

I have trouble fitting into the likes of the family saloons, even some 4x4s, etc, because of my height, my long legs and the cramped cabins in so many modern cars.

I have no hope in most small cars. I can barely get in them let alone get comfortable.

I am going to be taxed for my height now!

Gordon Brown has told me I need to go and buy a smaller car.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall.

I have trouble fitting into the likes of the family saloons, even some 4x4s, etc, because of my height, my long legs and the cramped cabins in so many modern cars.

I have no hope in most small cars. I can barely get in them let alone get comfortable.

I am going to be taxed for my height now!

dont worry your taxes will come in handy when the bad position causes you cronic pain and means you have to utilise the health service incurring extra journeys to the hospital as a result.

oh dear...

hasn't really been though through has it! :-(

one i forgot to add

this is for a Nissan 200SX S14A, in the prodiction run of 8 years, it has not changed its engine etc, the emmissions are exactley the same,

but if your car is registered 1 day before the cut off you'll pay £200 for your road tax, but if its after you'll pay £430 all for registering the car one day later!!!!!!!!!

there are 10000's of people with cars like this

1 Oct 1994 – 1 Mar 2001 £101.75 £185.00 -

1 Mar 2001 – 30 Sep 2001 £115.50 £210.00 F 233

1 Oct 1994 – 1 Mar 2001 £101.75 £185.00 -

1 Mar 2001 – 30 Sep 2001 £165.00 £300.00 K 233

1 Oct 1994 – 1 Mar 2001 £110.00 £200.00 -

1 Mar 2001 – 30 Sep 2001 £236.50 £430.00 L 233

So owning one that was made at the same time as all the others but registered in 2001 mean you pay over double the road tax

I dont see what the problem is here, we all have to pay taxes and it is not unusual for the working classes to pay more under a Labour Government than the wealthy people these scumbags wish to aspire to.

If should understand one thing in life, understand that a Labour Government has never ever in its history looked after the interests of the poor and the working classes.

There are too many cars on the road, if we removed the wealthy from the road that would lead to a microscopic reduction, the plan is to make driving a rich mans sport

I have a year 2000 Boxster S which stays at £185 till 2010 when it goes up to £200. It will then be £255 cheaper than the identical 2001 model and £70 cheaper than a 2005 2.0i Mondeo. I think I'll be hanging onto it for a while.

I'm also seriously considering buying a pre 1975 car. £0 road tax. A chap I know drives around in a Karman Ghia. It's not at all rusty, didn't cost the earth, easy to maintain (VW Beetle parts) and never breaks down.

the plan is to ...

You give them too much credit. There is no plan, they need money, and there's little that can be done to avoid this particular tax meaning they can be reasonably confident of how much they can generate from it. That's it. No more thought than that. The 'green' claim is plainly a load of crap, they just need money.

If they were serious about Green Issues they would have a sliding scale on VAT.

No VAT on Green Cars, Double on Gas Guzzlers..

Woohooo!

My old Peugeot 306 soft-top is registered in 2000, so escapes this new tax b*llocks. Double-good cos its a 2 litre so would probably have been in way higher tax bracket.

I was going to keep it for ages anyway, now I have another reason to do so as well.

I also have an old 1961 Triumph Herald convertible, which pays no road tax at all. And costs less than £200 a year to insure, fully comp.

Old classic cars provide very cheap motoring. Parts are not a problem for the more common ones. Most areas have at least one good garage run by enthusiasts who totally know the cars and how to fix them. No depreciation. Easy to pass MoTs - so long as the lights work and it isn't too rusty underneath, you're OK. No emissions regulations to speak of. No catalytic converter. Etc.

If I recall rightly limiting cars to 70 mph on the motorway with average speed cameras would reduce a third of all co2, and save many lives.

Of course this doesn't raise taxes.

Outraged, I will pay an extra £100 on a Focus 1.8. And that is without factoring in any additional depreciation come resale time.

Sorry Gordon I am sure you have some difficult decisions to make but you have just secured one less voter come election time, in fact to be honest I would go as far as say that this will cost you your job at the next election :blink:

My gas guzzling 1.2 Fiat Panda (55mpg) goes from band C to band E. Which, according to Parkers means my VED goes up next year, down the year after and then back up again. :rolleyes:

If I'd bought the flashgitmobile BMW I was originally planning to buy before I decided to be frugal, I would be spitting nails now.

This is Gordo's Poll Tax moment. Increase VED for 9 million drivers, to coinicide with huge prices increases at the pumps. Dead man walking.

If I recall rightly limiting cars to 70 mph on the motorway with average speed cameras would reduce a third of all co2, and save many lives.

Of course this doesn't raise taxes.

Blanket speed enforcement by cameras everywhere would do wonders for co2, energy conservation and road death. Bring it on, I say.

OTOH, I can't say I'm overly bothered about taxes on drivers of big cars. I own a bike and see every penny raised off a fat car owner as a penny less raised through my income tax.

Of course there would be "car tax riots" right now, but its so expensive to drive into the centre of London. :lol:

Its why the Molotov Cocktail went out of fashion, no one can afford the unleaded.....