House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flatnose

Price Of Domestic Fuel Oil

In 2001 700 litres of domestic fuel oil cost me £165. THe bill I received today.. £445! It hurts!

Go solar

If you can do it DIY a 20 tube installtion will cost around £700

Based on the cost you quote above a 20 tube system will save about £130 a year. A 30 tube system (£850) £190

solar_panel.jpg

post-10375-1215690714_thumb.jpg

In 2001 700 litres of domestic fuel oil cost me £165. THe bill I received today.. £445! It hurts!

That's a lot of money. Almost worth someone's time to drain your tank while you're out at work. Not easy to prevent in most installations.

p-o-p

That's a lot of money. Almost worth someone's time to drain your tank while you're out at work. Not easy to prevent in most installations.

p-o-p

Yeah, it's been reported on the news a few times here in NI. I tend to just put £200 in at a time, just in case.

It's interesting that once you take the fuel duty out of the equation, the changes in the oil prices are brought into sharp focus. It just goes to show how much tax we're all paying when we fill our cars at the pumps!

p-o-p

It's already happening.

Go solar

Based on the cost you quote above a 20 tube system will save about £130 a year. A 30 tube system (£850) £190

I would advise against that, there is a better technology in development called, clothing, one can buy something called a “jumper” which costs only £20 and that provides protection against the cold winter.

The nasa scientists are working night and day to bring this tech to use, they say they should have commercial versions within 2 decades!

Cant wait!

I would advise against that, there is a better technology in development called, clothing, one can buy something called a “jumper” which costs only £20 and that provides protection against the cold winter.

The nasa scientists are working night and day to bring this tech to use, they say they should have commercial versions within 2 decades!

Cant wait!

Oh Cells you are so clever!

but this relates to solar water (hot water supply) heating.

And jumpers are all well and good but when you want a shower / bath / do the washing up what then? Go smelly?

Had a bath at 11am - the photo attached shows the temperature of the bottom of my 130L tank at 3.10pm.

30 degree temperature lift in 4 hours is not bad at all!

solar_gain.jpg

post-10375-1215699300_thumb.jpg

Oh Cells you are so clever!

And jumpers are all well and good but when you want a shower / bath / do the washing up what then? Go smelly?

Had a bath at 11am - the photo attached shows the temperature of the bottom of my 130L tank at 3.10pm.

30 degree temperature lift in 4 hours is not bad at all!

I am an active member of the local squash club. We have 4 showers that get used mainly in the evenings from 5-8pm. I have for some time been interested in this technology, as the energy bill is frankly scary. The kind of system I envisaged was a solar heated tank, along with a Combi Boiler, so that the already warm water passed through the boiler and to the showers. This would ensure that no matter what the tempuratre of the water, the boiler would "finish it off", while we were still getting the energy benefit of the solar panels. It would also mean whatever time someone has a shower, there was hot water, but at no time would there be a tank of gas heated water going to waste.

The boiler does need replacing anyway.

Do you think a system like this would work? Along with other methods, such as "push button" showers, so that the water was not wasted and a few other energy saving methods to assist in hot water use reduction, what do you think?

I am an active member of the local squash club. We have 4 showers that get used mainly in the evenings from 5-8pm. I have for some time been interested in this technology, as the energy bill is frankly scary. The kind of system I envisaged was a solar heated tank, along with a Combi Boiler, so that the already warm water passed through the boiler and to the showers. This would ensure that no matter what the tempuratre of the water, the boiler would "finish it off", while we were still getting the energy benefit of the solar panels. It would also mean whatever time someone has a shower, there was hot water, but at no time would there be a tank of gas heated water going to waste.

Do you think a system like this would work? Along with other methods, such as "push button" showers, so that the water was not wasted and a few other energy saving methods to assist in hot water use reduction, what do you think?

I'm sure Kurt is far more knowledgeable than I on this point, but I thought solar water heating & combi boilers didn't go together. Kurt?

Very good system, not really any maintenance issues and if you've ever done roofing on a hot day you know just how hot tiles get!

Run-of-river hydro is best for generating electricity, virtually zero maintenance – anyone got a stream in their back garden?

Hi W&P

This technology would work very well as your main usage is at the end of the day when the solar has had the greatest opportunity to accumulate heat. If you go down the combi / solar route you would need to make sure the combi can recieve preheated water.

However - I assume your club has some form of heating provided by a boiler - if so I would just replace with a decent gas condensing and perhaps put in a bigger storage tank.

I would programme the water heating so that if the solar had not reached the desired temp by say 5/6pm then the boiler kicks in to top up.

Without knowing the level of usage at your club its difficult to say but for example:

Install a 300 litre cylinder and 2x30 tube panels. In July this would typically result in a temperature lift of 60 degrees for 300 litres of water. In January the typical temperature lift would be 12-14 degrees. 300 litres of water at 60 degrees should give 50 minutes of continuous showering at 10 litres per minute. If the hot water is hotter then longer and obviously the gas back up extends the availability too.

If the club has a plumber then you have the potential labour already!

Regards

KB

Edit - 10 litres per minute is a pretty powerful shower - 7-8 should be fine.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

I'm sure Kurt is far more knowledgeable than I on this point, but I thought solar water heating & combi boilers didn't go together. Kurt?

Hi - see my response to W&P

It can work but you need a thermal store - which are much more expensive than hot water cylinders

The last time I filled my tank I phoned a couple of places on the Thursday for quotes. Friday morning I phoned the best one and was told that the price had gone up twice since my last call. I thought I had moved to Zimbabwe!

Funny how the prices go up as fast as Brent crude on the exchanges but are a bit stickier on the way down.......

I bought a chainsaw and all the equipment, total cost was the same as 500 litres of fuel, so if I save half a tank full during the usable life of the equipment I will have broken even. Still, with only one open fire in the house it means I am wondering if I can sleep in the living room too!

The last time I filled my tank I phoned a couple of places on the Thursday for quotes. Friday morning I phoned the best one and was told that the price had gone up twice since my last call. I thought I had moved to Zimbabwe!

Funny how the prices go up as fast as Brent crude on the exchanges but are a bit stickier on the way down.......

I bought a chainsaw and all the equipment, total cost was the same as 500 litres of fuel, so if I save half a tank full during the usable life of the equipment I will have broken even. Still, with only one open fire in the house it means I am wondering if I can sleep in the living room too!

I would recommend you put in a multifuel stove - that will quadruple the 'heating value' of wood / cut by 75% the amount of sawing / chopping you have to do. :rolleyes:

Go solar

nice picture. How fragile are these things if, for example, a football came over the fence? do you have any retailer links?

SC

instal a 500 gallon open rainwater tank on your roof and make your own hydro electricity.

roof + 2 tonnes of water + tank & eqpt = DIY SOS in the making

Reminiscent of the main university building at UMIST in manchester that has a gym on the top floor. Rumour has it that it was supposed to have a swimming pool but when it was designed, they forgot to take account for the mass of the water in the pool so it wasn't structurally sound. :lol:

One of those urban myths but would love to know if its true.

I have solar water heating with a 210 ltr tank. It is absolutly great from April to Oct we never use the boiler, all the hot showers we need. We also have some solar panels and our combined Gas and Electric for the year is £300.

Can't recommend it enough.

Why not? Get a good sofabed & you're away! Or a waterbed - keeps warm for very little cost (about the same as a lightbulb) and you are toasty warm all night whatever the temperature outside.

Go solar

Er - how difficult is it? WE are looking at solar water heating for our new place (well, quite old place, but new to us) but my OH has DIY skills which bring to mind that old music-hall song "When father papered the parlour"...

nice picture. How fragile are these things if, for example, a football came over the fence? do you have any retailer links?

SC

47mm tubes are the most durable - designed to take 30mm hailstones. The tubes are nothing like flourescent tubes - much more like pyrex - infact they are borosilicate so pretty similar. Replacement tubes are about £15 each

I remeber reading about a guy in Spain whose system got shot blasted by 40mm hail - he lost 2 out of 30 tubes.

navitron.org.uk is a pretty well trusted supplier based in Oakham. They also have an excellent forum

I have solar water heating with a 210 ltr tank. It is absolutly great from April to Oct we never use the boiler, all the hot showers we need. We also have some solar panels and our combined Gas and Electric for the year is £300.

Can't recommend it enough.

Have you considered geothermal for the winter months? I was astonished that only 2 foot down the temperature is pretty much constant all year round, at around average annual temperature.

p-o-p

ps - Was thinking of this myself but the folk in the flat below seem doubtful :P

Er - how difficult is it? WE are looking at solar water heating for our new place (well, quite old place, but new to us) but my OH has DIY skills which bring to mind that old music-hall song "When father papered the parlour"...

Im not a plumber but have got the experience of installing several heating systems, bathrooms etc in the past.

My current system is the 3rd solar I have put in.

It took me 3 days. its a fairly satisfying way to spend a long weekend!

If you know how to solder copper pipes and basic wiring its easy to do.

Word of advice - do not use plastic pipes - they will melt!

I bought 1000 litres in December 2001 £173, March This year £420, due for another 1000 expecting to pay around £720 or more, We do use a lot of oil at least 4000 litres a year being pensioners and the wife being disabled, plus there is nothing except fields around us and the North Atlantic. so we get the full blast of cold winter winds.

My place has thirteen windows and not double glazed and I never bothered because I did not want to change characer by fitting PVC and they are in perfect condition, but it is a must now, just had the caity wall insulation done and the new DG windows should be in during the next week or so.

Have looked at new high efficiency condensing boilers and radiators and control units and will be getting that installed to replace the 20 year old system before the Autumn. the CVI has already improed the place quite noticably I think we can reduce or oil consumption by 40/50% which be comfortably managed but still a collosal increase onfive years ago..

Seem to remember Paisley Adams and the rest of them all stating we wil deal with or eliminate fuel poverty, yah sure in yur feckin dreams talks cheap, thousands of old people die of cold every winter because they cannot afford heat, there ill be a lot mo and a lot of very cold people in NI.

Their have been alot of oil tank thefts around the North Coast resently and the PSNI are warning people, trouble is that a lot of tanks are easily accessed espesially on new builds and estates, fortunately mine is not exposed and easily accessed and we have security floodlighing around the place and very light sleeping sleeping dog that kicks of at the slightest sound.

Have you considered geothermal for the winter months? I was astonished that only 2 foot down the temperature is pretty much constant all year round, at around average annual temperature.

Geothermal in New Zealand is the business – on certain beaches you can dig a hole in the sand and it will fill up with warm water. Then there's the thermal spa at the motel I stayed at – hot, hot , hot (and smelly!).