House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
0q0

Dealing Direct With A Landlord - What Checks Should A Tenant Make?

If you deal direct with a landlord, what should you do as an applicant BEFORE parting with your cash to make sure that the landlord is really the landlord?

What documentation should they produce and should they always produce an AST aswell?

We've all heard of rogues who have the keys to places, pretend to be the LL, and take deposits etc then vanish.

How can this be avoided or at least max the chances of avoiding it?

Silence, even from Ye God Of Renting, RenterBob!

As I thought - no real way of knowing unless you get the LL to bring their mortgage or Deed particulars with them.

Perhaps everybody's on the Halifax thread!

The landlord should be able to produce the water rates bill (usually, though not always paid by him). A check on the Land Registry for £3 (I think) should produce the name of the owner; then presumably you can ask to see his driving licence (it's a rare LL who doesn't drive)

Perhaps everybody's on the Halifax thread!

The landlord should be able to produce the water rates bill (usually, though not always paid by him). A check on the Land Registry for £3 (I think) should produce the name of the owner; then presumably you can ask to see his driving licence (it's a rare LL who doesn't drive)

Thanks Carti, you're a smarty.

One I've been trying to deal with to get a viewing won't even give me her tel number, just wants to meet down there, presumably I'm either then banged over the head for my wallet or she takes deposits in cash only or cheques payable to "The Bearer" or "Mrs Cash".

It's a legal requirement for the tenant to be given the name and address of the landlord on request (it's on the Shelter site, don't know exactly where off the top of my head) but you certainly shouldn't part with any significant cash until you've had chance to check.

A lot of people don't really like telephone calls - I'm one of them - much preferring email contact, so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that (though it's not a good start!)