House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbird 900

Mr Bean Is Really Heathcliff...

Gordon Brown has said it is "absolutely correct" to compare him to Heathcliff - the brooding, romantic anti-hero of Emily Bronte's novel Wuthering Heights.

In a New Statesman interview the PM was told: "Some women say you remind them of Heathcliff". He replied: "Maybe an older Heathcliff, a wiser Heathcliff".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7497903.stm

Gordon Brown has said it is "absolutely correct" to compare him to Heathcliff - the brooding, romantic anti-hero of Emily Bronte's novel Wuthering Heights.

In a New Statesman interview the PM was told: "Some women say you remind them of Heathcliff". He replied: "Maybe an older Heathcliff, a wiser Heathcliff".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7497903.stm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the character of Heathcliff, particually in the latter part of the novel, is defined almost entirely by his deranged quest for revenge. :ph34r:

Guest Bart of Darkness
"Some women say you remind them of Heathcliff"

heathcliff.png

Can't see it myself.

He replied: "Maybe an older Heathcliff, a wiser Heathcliff".

Gordo has obviously not read the book. The film adaptations always cover the first half of the book, ending with the death of the first Cathy (yes, there are two of 'em). So we do get to see the older Heathcliffe.

The novel ends with the death of Heathcliff, who has become a broken, tormented man

Link

Hmmmm.... maybe these women aren't quite as barking as I thought.

Guest KingCharles1st

And there's me thinking - Benny from Crossroads...

It was a joke.

In what way?

Gordon Brown has said it is "absolutely correct" to compare him to Heathcliff - the brooding, romantic anti-hero of Emily Bronte's novel Wuthering Heights. In a New Statesman interview the PM was told: "Some women say you remind them of Heathcliff". He replied: "Maybe an older Heathcliff, a wiser Heathcliff". He also said that - unlike Heathcliff - he did not "generally" lose his temper.

But Bronte expert Ann Dinsdale said the violent character, who may have been a killer, was "not an ideal role model".

In Wuthering Heights, published in 1847, Heathcliff is an embittered figure who treats most others with cruelty and contempt.

Ms Dinsdale, collections manager of the Bronte Parsonage Museum at Haworth, West Yorkshire, told the BBC: "The thing about Heathcliff is he turned to domestic abuse, possibly committed murder and certainly dug up the remains of his dead lover. "Is this the role model we want for our own prime minister?"

Guest Bart of Darkness
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the character of Heathcliff, particually in the latter part of the novel, is defined almost entirely by his deranged quest for revenge.

He's pretty lively. I did Wuthering Heights for 'O'-level English and my teacher was of the opinion that no actor had ever really captured the brooding/crazed energy of the character, although he felt Olivier got closest.

I can only speculate on what he would have made of Cliff Richard's interpretation.

hcliff.jpg

Guest Bart of Darkness
It was a joke.

By Gordon?

There's a first time for everything I guess.

Guest Bart of Darkness
The thing about Heathcliff is he turned to domestic abuse, possibly committed murder and certainly dug up the remains of his dead lover. "Is this the role model we want for our own prime minister?"

:lol:

More like running off a cliff.............

If the Tories don't all sing the Kate Bush song at next week's PMQs then they deserve to be shot.

And there's me thinking - Benny from Crossroads...

:lol::lol::lol:

would make a nice photoshop job!!