House Price Crash Forum

Watch The Famous 2003/4 Mortgage Fraud Programme

HOLA441

2003. Unbelievable isn't it.

It was all there for all to see even back then.

The whole world is mad.

and that was when the BBC even noticed it going on.

from about 2000, there were many many items about people being priced out....so someone at the beeb took a look, and there it all was...LIAR loans distorting the whole market.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It needs to be shown to all politicians.

These criminals have names and addresses, they are not just 'Dan in the financing department'...

Our prisons couldnt handle the hundreds of thousands of self sert mortgage borrowers, however, they can handle a couple of thousand fraudster mortgage brokers.

Cameron is too scared to release the IPP's past their tariff. Due to the tabloid backlash. And his aim is to reduce the prison population.

HOLA443

Wow!!! Not on here too much these days. Getting on with life but this thread reminds me that we put up a good fight back in the day.

I called on a favour from a friend at the BBC to get this doco.. Uploaded to u-tube for ERIC.....

I even tried to get a team together to make programmes of our own to support the HPC cause... Did meet some great posters at our meeting at BAFTA... We had everything from Equipment to Editors to studios, writers, voice over pros etc... Just lacked some direction really... Found out that we have lots of Media types on HPC and all were fighting the good fight.....

If you have time and can watch this programme you will realise just how ******ing greedy & stupid people are... The stupidity really came about when although broadcast in 03... Nothing was ever done about this and I always did agree with Eric that liar loans were the major reason (not only) but major reason we face what we face today.... It`s all linked..

Happy New Year to all the Crashers still fighting the good fight...

Bosh :)

Edited by Bosh

HOLA444
HOLA445

Wow!!! Not on here too much these days. Getting on with life but this thread reminds me that we put up a good fight back in the day.

,,,////....///...

If you have time and can watch this programme you will realise just how ******ing greedy & stupid people are... The stupidity really came about when although broadcast in 03... Nothing was ever done about this and I always did agree with Eric that liar loans were the major reason (not only) but major reason we face what we face today.... It`s all linked..

Happy New Year to all the Crashers still fighting the good fight...

Bosh :)

Hey Bosh ---- Cheers mate --- Good to see you here again..... B)

HOLA446

Interesting clip. I wonder how much those self cert mortgages are coming home to roost now. According to BBC's Working Lunch, 13th July, 2010, also preserved on Youtube (

), according to the FSA, half of all new mortgages written in the three years prior were provided without proof of income. This wasn't just self cert mortgages. There were also fast track mortgages, where people had big deposits and the bank just did a credit check.

While self cert mortgages are no longer around, fast track mortgages seem to be still around. I thought they were going to be banned too? If you're self employed and have a long history with the bank, the bank don't even bother to ask you about your income. After all, they can see it, coming through the account every month. They especially like it when they see it coming in from a third party. The fact that profit and revenue aren't the same thing seems to totally pass them by.

I wonder how many FTBs and BTLers have self cert or fast track mortgages? Given that it is a criminal offence to lie about your income on loan applications, if people had borrowed 6 or 7 times their income, then I could understand if they now resort to overdrafts/personal loans/pay day lenders even to keep repayments on the mortgage up. Just so they can hide the fraud. Presumably, as long as they can keep making payments on their mortgage, this fraud won't come to light.

The flip side is that the banks appear to have been complicit in the crime, so is their forbearance due to politics, or because they also have an interest in keeping the extent of their borrowers now in trouble due to self certifying too high an income a secret?

HOLA447

Oh dear! And this from http://www.self-cert-mortgage-centre.co.uk/

Important News For Self Cert Mortgage Hunters...

×The Financial Services Authority (FSA) has indicated that lenders will be required to specifically verify income and assess affordability of all new mortgages. In advance of any formal announcement by the FSA, lenders have ceased to offer Self Certified loans.

The Good News: Don't Despair! If you are self employed our panel of preferred mortgage brokers are finding alternative solutions for people in similar situations every day................

This is like only being able to buy eggs if you call them "those light coloured oval shaped things" instead of eggs.

HOLA448

Hey Bosh ---- Cheers mate --- Good to see you here again..... B)

Hi Eric....

I`m still about but read more than I post... I chip in if and when I feel I have anything useful to say. Busy at work too... Not much time for arguing the finer detail with folks over the course of a few days..

Still lots of useful stuff to be found on here though...

All the best

HOLA449

Certainly remember this, shame is got lost in the ever expanding housing bubble.

Has anyone got the link for the US liar loans film that the BBC made about 3 years ago?

Also bearing in mind that particular edition of the money programme is 9 years old, it would be interesting to see something that shows the current state of play, think that would be really shocking.

HOLA4410

Certainly remember this, shame is got lost in the ever expanding housing bubble.

Has anyone got the link for the US liar loans film that the BBC made about 3 years ago?

Also bearing in mind that particular edition of the money programme is 9 years old, it would be interesting to see something that shows the current state of play, think that would be really shocking.

Yup. That 2003/4 programme should be REPEATED - but in a documentary that portrays it as THE WRITING ON THE WALL - - which was IGNORED --- and - Hey Presto -- We're living with the DIRE consequences now.... :angry: :angry:

Jeezzz it makes my blood BOIL how this has all unravelled.... :angry:

HOLA4411

Brilliant video. Can't think why I am just catching this post of yours now, but better late than never.

Of course something had to be driving the insane price increases, and it was to a large degree liar loans.

My simple question is though "How do these 30K per year blokes ever manage to make their mortgage payments once they got the liars loan?"

A pay package quite simply can only be divided so many ways and to keep up a 230K mortgage with interest must have bee a feat.

Why didn't prices collapse due to people being unable to keep paying their mortgages.

HOLA4412

Brilliant video. Can't think why I am just catching this post of yours now, but better late than never.

Of course something had to be driving the insane price increases, and it was to a large degree liar loans.

My simple question is though "How do these 30K per year blokes ever manage to make their mortgage payments once they got the liars loan?"

A pay package quite simply can only be divided so many ways and to keep up a 230K mortgage with interest must have bee a feat.

Why didn't prices collapse due to people being unable to keep paying their mortgages.

It was a buy now or be left out frenzy, anyways, you could just cheaply withdraw equity after 1 year :) Prices were going up every month and it was good for the economy!

HOLA4413

- Artificially low interest rates

- MEW

...Amongst others.

HOLA4414

It was a buy now or be left out frenzy, anyways, you could just cheaply withdraw equity after 1 year :) Prices were going up every month and it was good for the economy!

Correct.

There are hundreds of thousands/millions of people out there right now just STRUGGLING like hell EVERY MONTH to pay their mortgages LIAR LOANS and all their other bills..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418