House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire Lad

Leeds Lumiere Tower Building Site Put On Hold

Europes tallest residential building project is put on hold:

_44819388_lumiere226.jpg

A £225m construction project which was set to transform the Leeds city skyline has been put on hold due to the credit crunch, developers have revealed.

The Lumiere project, on Whitehall Road and Wellington Street, will see two glass towers of 54 and 32 storeys with a winter garden linking them.

But developers K W Linfoot and Frasers Property said building work had been halted until "the climate stabilises".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yo...ire/7498572.stm

Good - it's about time developers worked out that living half a mile above some grim northern city does not constitute "luxury" living.

If only the clowns that bought into Birmingham's "iconic" Rotunda worked that one out.

Good - it's about time developers worked out that living half a mile above some grim northern city does not constitute "luxury" living.

If only the clowns that bought into Birmingham's "iconic" Rotunda worked that one out.

Grim Northern city?

Leeds has one of the very best city centres in the UK, with the largest pedestrainised shopping area in the country and the largest indoor market in Europe, and architecural delights such as the Corn Exchange, Civic Hall, Town Hall and several traditional arcades.

It's just that nobody likes the idea of high rise, when down below is a drink fuelled war zone for 12 hours of each day, with no supermarkets, schools or parks.

Grim Northern city?

Leeds has one of the very best city centres in the UK, with the largest pedestrainised shopping area in the country and the largest indoor market in Europe, and architecural delights such as the Corn Exchange, Civic Hall, Town Hall and several traditional arcades.

It's just that nobody likes the idea of high rise, when down below is a drink fuelled war zone for 12 hours of each day, with no supermarkets, schools or parks.

....I was just joking. ;)

Leeds is a great city.....but I stand by my point that living half a mile in the sky doesn't constitute "luxury" living.

On the local news it said that they had already sold 600 / 900 apartments in the towers...yet they have run out of money.

It's a bit odd if you ask me.

It also said they would continue to sell apartments in the tower, despite having no ide when work will resume! :blink:

Leeds is a polished Turd.

Pretentious w4nkers aplenty.

Try living there for a while and you might agree. The salaries do not match the lifestyle it tries so desperately to promote.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I stand by my point that living half a mile in the sky doesn't constitute "luxury" living.

I remember a "Tomorrows World" book from the early 70s (Raymond Baxter/James Burke era) which predicted mile high tower blocks to house the UK population.

It looked nice in the illustrations mind.

Try living there for a while and you might agree. The salaries do not match the lifestyle it tries so desperately to promote.

I've lived in the area for 25 years and happen to quite like it.

Do you live in Bradford?

On the local news it said that they had already sold 600 / 900 apartments in the towers...yet they have run out of money.

It's a bit odd if you ask me.

You mean people bought flats off-plan for this project? Does that mean they've paid anything much yet?

Edited by blankster

You mean people bought flats off-plan for this project? Does that mean they've paid anything much yet?

Probably about 20/30k a pop, signed to supply the rest as required....

Probably about 20/30k a pop, signed to supply the rest as required....

Think it was 25% off plan payments so the money paid will with no doubt be stuck in the system with the developers similar to the millions if not billions in off plan Spain,

As for Leeds I live there but refuse now as many do to go into the city its full of flats (mostly empty)and has lost its identity the sooner the bulldozers move in the better

It`a a poor man`s Manchester to be sure ...

I walked past that site the other week and was amazed at the ground space it's gonna take up. It has all been flattened ready to start the building. I thought to myself that it would be financial suicide to try and build that now.

Having said that I remember when they built Canary Wharf and that did not fill and struggled when completed.

:lol::lol: priceless

Do you live in Bradford?

Yes. A far from polished turd. It doesn't pretend to be anything but an unpolished turd though. In fact, we take great pride in that fact. :-)

(Don't get me wrong, there are some nice places in Leeds. Far more than there are in Bradford. The moon has more nice places than Bradford)

The former is true of many places, the latter of just about anywhere.

Having lived there and many other places, I would definately rate Leeds in the upper quartile of UK towns and cities. Many of the suburbs / inner city are terrible, but there are enough good places to make it worthwhile if you choose well.

For various reasons, some obvious, others I don't fully understand, city centre living has never really caught on in this country outside London.

Even with more childless and/or single younger people setting up home, we still seem to be hardwired into aspiring to identikit suburbs with off street parking, good motorway access and little more than a corner shop and local chain pub for shopping and entertainment.

Edited by Wayo

residential skyscrapers are disgusting!

didn't they build some of them in Birmingham & Liverpool?

Edited by punter

A bit unfair to single out Leeds - this would describe the UK as a whole...