House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crown

Watch Andrew Neil Skewer Jowell On Housing And The Economy

Maybe he's had a sneak preview of Tracy Emin's 'The Halifax Figures'

:lol::lol:

and I actually think that's probably the most likely explanatiion - which would mean a 3-4% drop for June - ooh, that would be really funny

Tessa Jowell coming out with the party line saying the usual 'best placed to weather the current economic storm' rubbish

Andrew Neil comes back asking who's actually in a worse state than the UK. Jowell says she doesn't know. (Oops!)

Neil then asks how does she know that it is we who are 'best placed?'

Gotcha! We need more of that. Watch them squirm.

Tessa Jowell coming out with the party line saying the usual 'best placed to weather the current economic storm' rubbish

Andrew Neil comes back asking who's actually in a worse state than the UK. Jowell says she doesn't know. (Oops!)

yes, that was fantastic - and so simple - why can't other interviewers cut through the dross so easily

Maybe he's had a sneak preview of Tracy Emin's 'The Halifax Figures'

Any sign of desperate EA's creeping round in the dead of night and spray painting a fake "Banksy" on the side of a house to increase its saleability yet?

It's just an idea.... :rolleyes:

That will be the standard response now

beauty

That will be the standard response now

beauty

I agree, I wonder who will dare to quote that sentence again.

another one I would like to see is challenging the old "sound economic fundamentals" tripe with: "please describe the economic fundamentals", and then snipe

employment: fail

inflation: fail

GDP: fail (not just yet)

I agree, I wonder who will dare to quote that sentence again.

another one I would like to see is challenging the old "sound economic fundamentals" tripe with: "please describe the economic fundamentals", and then snipe

employment: fail

inflation: fail

GDP: fail (not just yet)

Yep - I would like to see challenged

1 - interest rates are lower now than under the Tories.

Apart from this being almost 2 decades ago, we are now twice as indebted as then and as mortgage interest rates (not the BOE) are around half what they were, affordability is just as bad.

But he didn't challenge her when she said something like 'But we're only in trouble by a third compared to the early 90s'.

Her logic seemed to be that interest rates now are 5% and then were 15%.

Apart from the obvious 'BUT PEOPLE OWE MORE THAN 3 TIMES AS MUCH NOW SO THEY CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT' why does no-one ever challenge the 15% figure?

Here are the true figures for that period.

1992Nov7.00-1.0 Oct8.00-1.0 Sep9.00-1.0 May10.00-0.51991Sep10.50-0.5 Jul11.00-0.5 May11.50-0.5 Apr12.00-0.5 Mar12.50-0.5 Feb13.00-1.01990Oct14.00-1.01989May14.00+1.0 Nov13.00+1.0 Aug12.00+1.5 Jul10.50-1.0 Jun9.50+2.0 May7.50-0.5 Apr8.00-0.5 Mar8.50-0.51988Feb9.00+0.5

So, okay, base rates were 14% for 18 months. But they dropped by a third after that and still the recession went on.

Now that's memorable television ;)

Any chance you can fit Grant Bovey on your Property Expert Disgraceometer?

Edited by Dave Spart

I thought Tessa Jowell was Harriet Harman. Am I wrong?

Jowell/Harman/Smith/Cooper/Kelly

All the same, all should be at home ironing, all uselessly out of their depth.

But he didn't challenge her when she said something like 'But we're only in trouble by a third compared to the early 90s'.

Her logic seemed to be that interest rates now are 5% and then were 15%.

Apart from the obvious 'BUT PEOPLE OWE MORE THAN 3 TIMES AS MUCH NOW SO THEY CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT' why does no-one ever challenge the 15% figure?

So, okay, base rates were 14% for 18 months. But they dropped by a third after that and still the recession went on.

MIRAS! Mortgage interest relief at source. 27% off the interest payments on the first 30k of yer mortgage. Back then 30k was a nice slice of the average house price (which was about 55k) and probably most of a FTB price.

Anyway, 15% became about 11%. And a more typical figure for the period, say 12%, became about 8.8%.

Mortgage rates today are about 6.5 to 7%. So, WFT is this loonie talking about?

Guest pioneer31
Jowell/Harman/Smith/Cooper/Kelly

All the same, all should be at home ironing, all uselessly out of their depth.

Steady on

I reckon they'd f**k that up too!

I notice you don't include Hazel Blears in that group. What do you think of her? :P

She should be arranging to have her supercilious smile surgically removed….at the taxpayers expense of course.

BTW...does she EVER shut up at PMQs ?

Superb.

Everyone one of the silly little New Labour catchphrases/falsifications ("best man for the job", "low unemployment", "low interest rates", "low inflation", "well placed to weather the storm") needs to be beaten down in a similar manner ever time.

Maybe New Labour will just stfu then.

That video's hilarious! From 2.30 in it's like she's malfunctioning! Nothing coming out of her mouth makes any sense... I'm suprised technicians didn't appear and try and switch her off an back on!

MIRAS! Mortgage interest relief at source. 27% off the interest payments on the first 30k of yer mortgage. Back then 30k was a nice slice of the average house price (which was about 55k) and probably most of a FTB price.

Anyway, 15% became about 11%. And a more typical figure for the period, say 12%, became about 8.8%.

Mortgage rates today are about 6.5 to 7%. So, WFT is this loonie talking about?

Indeed, I had forgotten about MIRAS. As you say 30k was a big slice of a mortgage in those days. People thought you had a 'big' mortgage if you owed 60k.