House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chichi

House Too Big

If you've had a tesco in your town built recently you might be aware of how much they tend to go over on what their planning permission says. I think it was actually Stockport tesco went 20% more floor space than they were allowed. But threatened to withdraw and take away jobs if they were made to pull down.

Compare with this bloke who's house is a bit bigger than it should be

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7497262.stm

It was also two feet too high and "materially different" from the original approved plans, the council found.

If you've had a tesco in your town built recently you might be aware of how much they tend to go over on what their planning permission says. I think it was actually Stockport tesco went 20% more floor space than they were allowed. But threatened to withdraw and take away jobs if they were made to pull down.

It was also two feet too high and "materially different" from the original approved plans, the council found.

In demolishing it and rebuilding, he will surely be employing builders. Thus increasing local employment. Not seeing a problem so far...

I am afraid I have minimal sympathy for the idiots who think they can get away with effectivley ingoring the planning permission that they have secured.

There was a program about this on the TV recently and almost all of them came across as arrogant aholes who thought they should be able to get away with whatever it was they fancied.

I agree that there could well be a case for changing the planning process to make it easier to deal with but that is no excuse for people to just totally ignore what they have been told they can do and hope to get away with it. (having said that I have a family member who made some changes to what is a listed building several years ago and no one has noticed it yet so they may well get away with it :))

Tesco should be penalised exactly the same and someone needs to bring them into line. They appear to do whatever they fancy whenever they want to whether that is to do with their suppliers or as you mention the planning.

Demolition work has begun on a £600,000 new home after

Where did they get £600k from? the house is worthless as it doesn't meet with the planning permission it had been granted. I hate the way the papers always have to print your name and the value of your home.

Where did they get £600k from? the house is worthless as it doesn't meet with the planning permission it had been granted. I hate the way the papers always have to print your name and the value of your home.

He could have just declined the interview, photo op, sob story...

Looks like quite a nice house to me. What was their problem with it exactly? Could they have not granted him planning permission retrospectively?

So he built his house 2ft too high. Does the punishment (forcing him to knock it down) really fit the crime here?

Looks like quite a nice house to me. What was their problem with it exactly? Could they have not granted him planning permission retrospectively?

So he built his house 2ft too high. Does the punishment (forcing him to knock it down) really fit the crime here?

Always pays to read the linked article...

"Mr Woodfinden-Lewis applied for a two bedroom cottage, but the finished home had two reception rooms, four bedrooms and two en-suite bathrooms".

HPI doesn't normally extend to inflating 2 bedrooms into 4!

Always pays to read the linked article...

"Mr Woodfinden-Lewis applied for a two bedroom cottage, but the finished home had two reception rooms, four bedrooms and two en-suite bathrooms".

HPI doesn't normally extend to inflating 2 bedrooms into 4!

Wow - I wish we had a council in Waverley with this kind of guts....

It's a well-known fact around here that local developers (one in particular - can't name them unfortunately, as they've threatened to sue me in the past for simply relating the facts to the Planning Officers and other interested parties, and I don't have the time or energy to fight them over it...) deliberately get planning permission for one type of building, and then blatantly build another. At which point the Planning Office say they are powerless...

A couple of classic examples by this established, "well-connected" (shall we say!) developer; PP granted for three "affordable three bed houses" after the disgusting vandalism of a beautiful Edwardian cottage, that they then blatantly built and advertised as "five bed executive homes..."; second example - PP for a four bed house, subsequently built as five bedrooms and sold as such...

Interestingly, a formal complaint to the Planning Officer in question resulted in the first instance in a retrospective planning application, and an admission by the mayor (who we know well,) that there "is nothing we can do, they'll get it anyway..." In the second case the Planning Officer said (unbelieveably) that they don't give planning permission for a number of bedrooms, and that if they'd decided to convert the loft space as part of the construction there was (again) "nothing they could do..."

Compare and contrast with a local individual who built a house a bit bigger than the PP (as in this case,) who has had to mothball it for the last two years, and (even more disgusting,) a local family who built a small shed for their son's wheelchair (he has cerebral palsy) who were made to pull it down because it was a couple of courses of bricks too high.

A cynic might conclude there was something dodgy going on here. That same cynic might find it "interesting" that the same Planning Officer, who presided over one of those debacles, now works (as far as I can see on the internet,) for the planning and applications department of one of those self-same local developers.... Frankly a bad career choice in retrospect, but never mind :lol::lol:

Regardless of the specific rights and wrongs of this individual case, I think it would be nice if this kind of draconian Planning Department action was applied to all the "well-connected" developers as well, across the whole country, rather than Planning Officers making a farcical show of how "hard" they are, by selectively and cynically picking on Joe and Joanna Public should they put a foot just one step out of line.

Any thoughts?

B

Guest happy?

The property is at least 100% greater in volume than that which received planning permission is taller than the approved property and has twice as many bathrooms as the approved property. The man who built it is a builder with thirty years experience. He was quite clearly aware of the relevant planning regulations, one wonders why he felt the planning regulations don't apply to him.

I am afraid I have minimal sympathy for the idiots who think they can get away with effectivley ingoring the planning permission that they have secured.

There was a program about this on the TV recently and almost all of them came across as arrogant aholes who thought they should be able to get away with whatever it was they fancied.

I agree that there could well be a case for changing the planning process to make it easier to deal with but that is no excuse for people to just totally ignore what they have been told they can do and hope to get away with it. (having said that I have a family member who made some changes to what is a listed building several years ago and no one has noticed it yet so they may well get away with it :))

Tesco should be penalised exactly the same and someone needs to bring them into line. They appear to do whatever they fancy whenever they want to whether that is to do with their suppliers or as you mention the planning.

Indeed.

I've seen it over the years in my end of the country. Luckily, the LA picked up on one (a garden center, big name) that added 1 foot to the roof height. They had to spend weeks getting the roof back down to P.Regs.

Another, (local private resident) spent a small fortune getting a custom gate outside their place, I liked it but pa got sore.

Wow - I wish we had a council in Waverley with this kind of guts....

Any thoughts?

B

As a fellow Waverley resident I know exactly where you're coming from...

It's too late now, but why didn't he just raise the ground by 2 feet around the house. Presumably the height is measured from the ground next to the house.

Edited by blankster

If you can't interest the council leaders, try the opposition or the local paper?

Nice idea - and the thought is appreciated...

However, the (now former) Mayor was the (Tory) opposition, and was still powerless. We tried getting her to kybosh it, and throw out the retrospectives from the developers, loads of times - but the Lib Dems ruled the roost at the time, and thought anything that had half a gazillion people living on every tenth of a hectare was so, like, tree-huggingly fantastic.

On top of that, several of us wrote to the local rag (the Farnham Herald) on a number of occasions, but they gave very impression they didn't give a flying sh*t. Why?

Firstly, Sir Fart of Fartlebury doesn't appear to give a toss about anything, unless it involves driving a very old car round the town dressed like a whiskery Toad of Toad Hall.

Secondly, most of their advertising comes from the local EA's (one of whom, let's call him "Peter" shall we - or "The King of the Garden Grabbing Pimps, who probably makes more money feeding developers land on which to build complete sh*te, than he does from selling houses") so there is absolutely no chance they'd even consider printing a dissenting letter, let alone investigate it. We're talking smalltown press here, not the Watergate chaps :ph34r:

In other words, historically there's been no leverage round here to fight back with.

Mind you - and here's a serious thought for any fellow Farnham-ites..

Maybe we could resurrect the proposed boycott on all contractors who only worked for the developers; who insisted on starting work at 7.00am every Saturday and every Bank Holiday when there was cash in it; who built massive bonfires and suffocated our kids, rather than pay to dispose of waste properly; and who threatened to fill our faces in if we dared to complain. They didn't give a damn when there was all that developer work around, and told us all to f**k off in no uncertain terms - but now the A*****a (I can't get sued for that, I'm sure :lol::lol::lol::lol: ) work is in danger of drying up, maybe there's a chance to eke some small revenge.

There are plenty of good tradesmen around, like my friend Mark, who do a great job but would never dream of sh*tt*ng on their own doorstep. Maybe we should make a stand on this one now the wind has shifted. Tempting, methinks....

This whole crash thing could have some interesting outcomes peoplepower-wise!!

Best.

B

As a fellow Waverley resident I know exactly where you're coming from...

Hi AndrewP.

Welcome to HPC, and lovely to make your acquaintance - even if it's only in cyber-space. Maybe a clandestine half down "The Fox" or the "Bat and Ball" one night? :ph34r::ph34r:

In the meantime, I've been trying to stimulate a debate over on the "House Prices in your Area" forum, under "Fleet / Farnborough / Aldershot" (or something similar) If you any data or anecdotals to share it would be fab - if nothing else it would stop me feel like a Grumpy Old Man who is talking to himself (albeit I've been cultivating it as a core competence!!)

Warmest regards.

B