House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyB

Pmq's, Harman Out Of Her Depth

Harriet Harman is standing in for GB today, and even better, we've got William Hague and Vince Cable (both fantastic speakers and great in PMQs) standing in for their leaders.

She is getting battered by them, with both of them telling the Govt to face the music and own up to the fact that the UK economy is up sh1t creek without a paddle and with a gaping hole in its canoe.

You can watch it here: http://www.parliamentlive.tv/

Vince Cable said the government should increase the money available for councils to buy up housing stock.

I usually agree with him on everything, but I shudder to think what price the UK taxpayer would have to pay to buy these properties up. Not peak levels like this surely? In fact they really can't afford to do anything, so I don't know why I worry really.

Harman is way out of her depth. In fact looking at the front benches I'm terrified at the number of idiots (Hazel Blears et al) we'll have to rely on in the next few years.

Hah, some harman suck up Labour MP complained about Fathers 4 Justice and their 'Thuggery'. Anything to do with them camping on top of Harriet's house?? Fathers 4 Justice is the only pressure group out there with the guts to stand up to Labour Stalinists.

Vinny Cable was suggesting that the government should buy up cheap new-build housing from distressed developers. I think this is sensible because (ideally):

A) The State gets its new housing stock at a knock-down rate

B) The construction companies are prevented from going bust

C) The blight of empty new-builds is avoided

D) Housing is made available to the homeless

I think this is eminently sensible. He is not suggesting this as a measure to help distressed home-owners achieve unrealistic prices. He clearly and quite rightly sees this as an excellent time for the government to increase its social housing stock. Many of the developments aimed at amateur BTL landlords will soon be used for DSS housing so it makes sense for the State to own the stock itself.

All this is, of course, way above Harman's head. Her 'Wimmins' Rights' tosh is so feeble and 1980s.

Harriet Harman is standing in for GB today, and even better, we've got William Hague and Vince Cable (both fantastic speakers and great in PMQs) standing in for their leaders.

She is getting battered by them, with both of them telling the Govt to face the music and own up to the fact that the UK economy is up sh1t creek without a paddle and with a gaping hole in its canoe.

You can watch it here: http://www.parliamentlive.tv/

She would be out of her depth in a class room of three year olds surely?!

If that happens I'll be on the first flight out of the UK. I hate that woman.

It's funny you say that because at PMQs she joked that if she took over there wouldn't be enough planes for all the men trying to leave the country. :lol:

He clearly and quite rightly sees this as an excellent time for the government to increase its social housing stock.

And what kind of discount from peak prices should the government pay? Currently they could probably get them for 20% off peak. In a couple of years time that will look like paying way above the odds. Why should banks and builders get bailed out when other private companies don't? Stripping out some of the big builders would create opportunity for smaller firms. Big building firms are pretty poor and should not get any support. Have they not had the opportunity to save for a rainy day in the past decade?

William Hague: "Isn't it supremely ironic to be lectured on food waste by a prime minister who is well past his sell-by date?"

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the belly laugh William!!

Great stuff!

Well considering she's having to defend the second worst prime minister this country has ever seen on a locum basis, she wasn't too bad. but did not stand up to the joker so well this time. Crap policies are difficult to defend

I think I heard on the radio about an hour ago that the Fathers4Justice are once again camped out on HH's roof. Good on them for standing up for the rights of ordinary people. If HH is allowed to continue with her ridiculous policies she'll soon have created a nation of division in which only female ethnic minorities can get jobs and all the normal people are unemployed/unemployable.

If we want equalities we have to treat people based on their personality, skills and merit, not their ethnic and genetic background.

Oi! Harman, OUT!

William Hague: "Isn't it supremely ironic to be lectured on food waste by a prime minister who is well past his sell-by date?"

:lol:

Genius line. Hague would have made a great tory leader were it not for his baldy head and annoying voice. Such is life.

I think I heard on the radio about an hour ago that the Fathers4Justice are once again camped out on HH's roof. Good on them for standing up for the rights of ordinary people.

I would have thought they'd be more subdued since one of their members murdered his kids.

Harman 'concern' on house prices

Commons leader Harriet Harman has told MPs there is "grave cause for concern" about the housing market but said the government was "taking action".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7497514.stm

Tessa Jowell has just been on the Daily Politics, spouting The Party line that "we're best placed to weather the current economic crisis".

The presenter asked who's in a worse state than us, then? Jowell says she doesn't know. The presenter asks how, then, does she know that we're in the best place?

Doh! :lol:

Edited by jp1

I would have thought they'd be more subdued since one of their members murdered his kids.

I don't think the guy was a member, but they spoke about the day after it happened. That case did indicate the terrible consequences of divorce, particularly when fathers have restricted access to their children. IMO any mother who prevents their children from seeing their father is irresponsible and shouldn't be allowed custody.

Vinny Cable was suggesting that the government should buy up cheap new-build housing from distressed developers. I think this is sensible because (ideally):

I think this is eminently sensible. He is not suggesting this as a measure to help distressed home-owners achieve unrealistic prices. He clearly and quite rightly sees this as an excellent time for the government to increase its social housing stock. Many of the developments aimed at amateur BTL landlords will soon be used for DSS housing so it makes sense for the State to own the stock itself.

All this is, of course, way above Harman's head. Her 'Wimmins' Rights' tosh is so feeble and 1980s.

Yeah I see your point. But really it comes down to what price the taxpayer pays for the properties.

If the Brown government does it to "support" todays crazy prices, then it will only serve to exacerbate the downturn because of the huge burden on taxpayers. (raising taxes to do this I see as politically impossible anyway to be honest)

But if they buy the properties at rock bottom prices, ie. 70% or more below the peak levels, either now (by means of government forced sale/nationalisation) or waiting several years for the bottom of the market, then it would be a good idea. In fact 100% off would be the right price since HM Gov will be taking on the maintenance/upkeep etc

Vince Cable is probably predicting the eventual outcome, but is (like nationalising NR) ahead of his time.

I guess I fear Gordon Brown may try to buy at todays crazy prices in an effort to prop up the bubble and save his career. Both of which are hopeless and deeply destructive for the long term health of the UK economy.

What happens to FTB'ers or anyone else for that matter who has scraped together enough to buy a property and then find the rest of the devolpment bought up by the council and given to the benefit crowd? Their already hammered house value will drop through the floor!

If we want equalities we have to treat people based on their personality, skills and merit, not their ethnic and genetic background.

Oi! Harman, OUT!

Careful now, it will soon be mandatory to disciminate in favour of people with no personality, skills and merit. The political class already seem to be promoted on their unsuitablity for the job.

What happens to FTB'ers or anyone else for that matter who has scraped together enough to buy a property and then find the rest of the devolpment bought up by the council and given to the benefit crowd? Their already hammered house value will drop through the floor!

Same thing that happened last time there was a crash. They learn a lesson in finance that they should have been taught in school - don't borrow what you can't pay back. If they can pay it back (eventually) then no worries is there?