Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

It's because they've slashed a load of building jobs, which means their meagre cashflow will go a bit further and they can start to pay some of their debts to the banks. They still need to start cutting prices of newbuilds though or they'll run out of money soon.

Long term of course the redundancies will feed through to spending and economic growth and the shares will go down again.

Alliance & Leicester also hired a new chairman today, which might make traders a bit more optimistic about it.

HOLA448

In all seriousness aren't the markets finding a support at 5400? This was after all the low after Bear Stearns collapse.

If we do get a flight from commodities on deflation / recessionary fears then naturally some of this money will return to equities.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
In all seriousness aren't the markets finding a support at 5400? This was after all the low after Bear Stearns collapse.

If we do get a flight from commodities on deflation / recessionary fears then naturally some of this money will return to equities.

I always wonder how the value of 100 leading shares can be combined into an index and then we can say how the index is going to behave, as if it has its own mind. Surely if the economy goes down the shitter then so will the entire FTSE index, even if some sectors such as commodities and healthcare do ok ?

Chartism to me is akin to Astrology.

HOLA4413

rumours about that short-selling is to be seriously clamped down on via FSA.. on FT alphaville markets live at the mo. This might push up the index for a while - but it won't help in the long run. Clutching at straws methinks.

HOLA4414

The city is full of idiots, we're still in the sh*t this is just a quick profit taking and seeing how many stupid people are out there who'll buy into this.

Nothing has changed a bankrupt bank has been bought out by a group of other bankrupt banks and somehow idiots see this as good news.

The pessimism will return once reality sinks in that the stocks are worthless. If enough people bought sh*t the price of sh*t would skyrocket but in the end all you've got for your money is sh*t.

See Mr Hanky.

HOLA4415
I know why.

It's cos I sold some inherited bank shares yesterday.

So please don't tell me how HBOS are doing.

thats what i usually do, but this time i held them all. all the rubbish i bought a couple of weeks ago is now up.

gold seems to have found a stable 900+ level and houses are falling.

for all the bad news in the media recently and me ignoring it,

i think ive deserved a fried egg sandwich this morning from bettys van.

HBOS 274.75 +4.00 +1.48

hang on.......now its all going down....

HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness
Hooray, the recession is over, we got through it, the great recession 2008-2008!

(See Black Adder for contexts)

:lol:

Well, hurrah! The big knobs have gone round the table and yanked the iron out of the fire!

HOLA4417
I always wonder how the value of 100 leading shares can be combined into an index and then we can say how the index is going to behave, as if it has its own mind. Surely if the economy goes down the shitter then so will the entire FTSE index, even if some sectors such as commodities and healthcare do ok ?

Chartism to me is akin to Astrology.

You're correct, but as firms become worth less, they drop out of the FTSE 100 and are replaced with other firms. Quite a few of the FTSE 100 new boys are actually eastern european companies that have listed in London so it is possible for the index to go up even if the UK is doing really badly.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
anybody know whats going on. all the usual suspects are up big today ???

do they know something we dont.....

Nothing goes straight down...the dead cat bounces numerous times on the way down the stairs. We've had continuous drops since May 19...this is just a small retrace.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
LOL. Markets can go up and well as down. And even builders and banks can too.

Rally back to 5800-600 area likely. Sentiment is VERY low - have you seen the II bull/bear ratio lately?

http://www.market-harmonics.com/free-chart...ntelligence.htm

I've been thinking there will be one last climb to about 6000 before the ftse/dow really falls. However the half yearly results for banks & retailers will start coming out soonish, so it may be too late to expect a big climb, as these won't be good reading. There really is no good news about that should cause a rally, and with the drop in earnings from retailers, banks and others to be announced the share prices will probably start looking over priced at their current levels.

HOLA4423

All driven by the same greed infested people who caused the mess in the first place.

Stands to reason, drop the shares down to an all time low then at the slightest prospects of reinvigorated profits (slashing jobs :D) they all pile in (sucking in mug investor at the same time).

Shortly all change again as reality strikes and the big boys sell off the gains made for a few mill here and there leaving everyone else to carry the rusty can.

Theres a looong way to go with this credit crunch IMO, do not get suckered into false rally, as in 2000 they are not going to last, housing it's associates and these satelite BTL banks are truly shafted.

HOLA4424
Classic headline I think, "Everyone Fired, Markets React Favourably"

Great headline. Here are some great headlines from Bloomberg that demonstrate market rationality:

Dollar Falls After Iran Says It Test-Fired Long-Range Missile

Oil plunges after important arab person says friend of someone he once went to school with stumbled on world's largest oil reserve in back garden after 5-year old son finds oil while digging for worms

Stocks rise after Bernanke hints may buy some expensive electrical items to trim facial hair

Ok - admittedly only the first one is genuine, but you get my drift. City and Wall Street have more than their allowed quota of stupid winkers.

HOLA4425

Have to say as a long time HPCer and STR I can live without financial armaggedon as well as a HP correction so glad to see FTSE not crashing.

I am now certain house prices to fall but as people have mentioned before if there is a depression too wont make much odds cos we'll all be out of work!