House Price Crash Forum
whatnow?

Interesting.........

I STR last summer. I bought a maisonette in May 2006 for 210 in Brighton Sussex.For health reasons I couldn't do the stairs so we had it valued to sell in Mrch 2007 and were told 350!!!!!!!!!!!1I had spent about 18k on it. We sold it to a cash buyer (pure luck)and moved into rented in August.I am not a scummy flipper this was all caused by my needing to be in a place with no stairs. i saw the agent who sold it recently and he seemed to think I had known some big secret inside knowledge last year and said this year to get anyone through the door we would need to market it at 275

I STR last summer. I bought a maisonette in May 2006 for 210 in Brighton Sussex.For health reasons I couldn't do the stairs so we had it valued to sell in Mrch 2007 and were told 350!!!!!!!!!!!1I had spent about 18k on it. We sold it to a cash buyer (pure luck)and moved into rented in August.I am not a scummy flipper this was all caused by my needing to be in a place with no stairs. i saw the agent who sold it recently and he seemed to think I had known some big secret inside knowledge last year and said this year to get anyone through the door we would need to market it at 275

Is there a point to this post other than to gloat about your fortuitous timing?

The point is that prices are falling here and quite quickly.And yeah I'm really lucky diagnosed at 42 with incurable heart condition with a teenage son :(

275 is a 30% increase since May 2006, that's not much of a fall yet. Unless you got a real bargain when you bought it at 210.

The estate agent is dreaming if he thinks people will pay more than a property was worth in early 2006. Most buyers are probably expecting prices to fall back to 2003 levels. The cash buyer who bought the place off you is most likely down about 200 grand.

It was a bargain when we got it tbh it is huge and in a lovely road with huge garden etc.It was a student let and so shabby but didn't take much to do it up.I think it would still get 250 tbh because of schools

Guest Mr Parry
The point is that prices are falling here and quite quickly.And yeah I'm really lucky diagnosed at 42 with incurable heart condition with a teenage son :(

Bad luck old chap. I left the UK because my health was getting worse and worse. Weight was balloning and all the signs of the onset of major problems including heart were appearing fast. Down to the maniacal western industrial lifestyle.

Having recently been in hospital being checked over by a cardiologist, but with different more positive results than yourself, I can, perhaps, understand the many mixed feelings that you are experiencing. I think I have told you this before in other threads but check out these links below as you might find something useful in them:

Elisabeth Kubler Ross's information is here. She basically 'invented' hospice care and her info on how people with incurable illnesses deal with their lives is something worthwhile for all us of to know.

http://www.davidkessler.org/

This is one of Elisabeth's books. I think everyone would benefit from reading this book and I try to carry a copy with me at all times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Lessons-Morta...g/dp/0743208110

'Lessons from the Light' by Dr. Kenneth Ring - an amazing book also

Best of luck. If you need to chat about things send me a pm.

Having recently been in hospital being checked over by a cardiologist, but with different more positive results than yourself, I can, perhaps, understand the many mixed feelings that you are experiencing. I think I have told you this before in other threads but check out these links below as you might find something useful in them:

Elisabeth Kubler Ross's information is here. She basically 'invented' hospice care and her info on how people with incurable illnesses deal with their lives is something worthwhile for all us of to know.

http://www.davidkessler.org/

This is one of Elisabeth's books. I think everyone would benefit from reading this book and I try to carry a copy with me at all times.

'Lessons from the Light' by Dr. Kenneth Ring - an amazing book also

Best of luck. If you need to chat about things send me a pm.

Thank you so much I will look out for those !#

I am a she not a he :P

I try to be positive and selling up and moving was part of that not some money grabbing boast

I am really sorry about your health but I don't think you should use it as a weapon in a debate. Looking again at the content of your post, I would say that my response was entirely valid. You wrote:

I bought a maisonette in May 2006 for 210
Mrch 2007 and were told 350!!!!!!!!!!!1I had spent about 18k on it
i saw the agent who sold it recently and he seemed to think I had known some big secret inside knowledge last year and said this year to get anyone through the door we would need to market it at 275

Thank you so much I will look out for those !#

I am a she not a he :P

I try to be positive and selling up and moving was part of that not some money grabbing boast

Well, there's your problem - all that anxiety over your sex-change was bound to cause heart problems! :P:blink::P

Those books are really worth having a read of but that website is a good first start. Remember, the journey is often more important than the destination :)

It is not a weapon in a bloody debate you fool.If I had no health issues I would still be in my lovely home and wouldn't have a clue what it was or wasn't worth.

It is not a weapon in a bloody debate you fool.If I had no health issues I would still be in my lovely home and wouldn't have a clue what it was or wasn't worth.

So what's your point?

Abusing me is not a valid debating style either.

I am not entirely clear as to why you sold. If it was the stairs you could have used the proceeds to buy a ground floor apartment. This however does not align with the centrol theme of your post which was:

i saw the agent who sold it recently and he seemed to think I had known some big secret inside knowledge last year
Edited by dog

Guest Mr Parry
Abusing me is not a valid debating style either.

I am not entirely clear as to why you sold. If it was the stairs you could have used the proceeds to buy a ground floor apartment. This however align with the centrol theme of your post which was:

She sold because she can't handle stairs. Just because she sold and made a few quid (God knows she needs it now) . . . well it's a free country

I am really sorry about your health but I don't think you should use it as a weapon in a debate. Looking again at the content of your post, I would say that my response was entirely valid. You wrote:

Dog and Oxfordite - I'm, really not sure why either of you took offence at the original post; as far as I can tell your responses seems to be driven by envy(?!) The sale was a bit of fortuitous timing due to a some very bad news...and the OP recognised that...a case of clouds having silver linings I suppose. I see no problem with her relating her story...and detected no gloating in it...it showed just how absurd the price rises have been in some places over a period of 1 year and how quickly they came crashing down again.

To the OP - very sorry to hear about your health problem. I thought your original post was quite an interesting anecdote.

Edited by D'oh

Thankyou At least a few of you got what I was trying to say! We could have bought somewhere but couldn't find somewhere in time for our buyers who virtually kicked us out to be in in time for the new school year! TBH I relayed the agents views as I was surprised at the honesty and wanted to show that nowhere is immune.If I wanted to gloat I would do just that but there is no need. It was a coincidence that when my health failed my flat increased in value by a silly amount.

What now - Good for you. You made some money & why not? Plenty of people did. Show me one person who would sell their house for less than any offer received? I made money too & am very happy to have done so. Admittedly this website has encouraged me to hang onto my money instead of buying a new home at this stage.

Dog and Oxfordite - I'm, really not sure why either of you took offence at the original post; as far as I can tell your responses seems to be driven by envy(?!) The sale was a bit of fortuitous timing due to a some very bad news...and the OP recognised that...a case of clouds having silver linings I suppose. I see no problem with her relating her story...and detected no gloating in it...it showed just how absurd the price rises have been in some places over a period of 1 year and how quickly they came crashing down again.

To the OP - very sorry to hear about your health problem. I thought your original post was quite an interesting anecdote.

This is tripe. I will tell you what really happened.

The OP flipped a house for >100K. There's nothing wrong with that. Lets face it, no sane person would decline the opportunity to flip a house for a big profit. She then wanted a little gloat but realised that this would seem a little tasteless . She also clearly had an aversion to be classified as a flipper. So we ended up with a somewhat contorted account of how she confounded the estate agents (but all for the cleanest of motives).

This is tripe. I will tell you what really happened.

The OP flipped a house for >100K. There's nothing wrong with that. Lets face it, no sane person would decline the opportunity to flip a house for a big profit. She then wanted a little gloat but realised that this would seem a little tasteless . She also clearly had an aversion to be classified as a flipper. So we ended up with a somewhat contorted account of how she confounded the estate agents (but all for the cleanest of motives).

Wow...either you are even more cynical than me (which, sadly, is highly unlikely), or you have real issues. Sometimes things are just as they are presented. The size of the profit and the size of the drop in valuation over such a short time frame makes it a worthy anecdote, regardless of the OP's motivation. I must admit that if it had happened to me, I would have had to tell this forum about it. It's certainly one that leaves you shaking your head.

Oh dear you really are bitter and twisted .If I had flipped as you call it I would present it as that and feel very pleased at how clever I was. Unfortunately the truth is somewhat less exciting.

This is going crazy.

This is an HPC site and any evidence of crashing prices is welcome.

Why do some of you start a "shark feeding frenzy" when someone gives us a bit of evidence?

Childish

Since this thread is worthless I'll chat to Mr Parry.

Rob H. just been onsite and filled me in about Tom giving Mike. R the chop. Apparently Toms company won't last a year anyway the way things are going. Like you said CL regen is done for res development.

He talked about the Straford job. ******** what a nightmare!

Edited by Oxfordite

Was that the bit that was "Interesting......." then?

Obviously that, and how quickly they have dropped. Seriously, think about how you responded to the original post which, in my opinion, did not and does not have troll written all over it. Absolutely no courtesy whatsoever, and little psychological insight into why someone might feel the need to share this. She probably feels extremely blessed and cursed at the same time.

I'm done with this thread...life is too short to waste too much time on mean spirited people.