House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Schools Closed And Council Workers On Strike Next Week For 2 Days

I like the fact the media are no longer giving free advertising to trouble makers.

Council workers are not troublemakers. Well, perhaps social workers are, but we need the binmen and the dinner ladies. The worm has turned! :ph34r:

I like the fact the media are no longer giving free advertising to trouble makers.

Is that your version of a democracy ?

Today it's them but tommorow it will be you

Yeah i know what you mean about school teachers but tthey do have a right to be heard.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Strange how most of the google news links are from smaller publications.... <_<

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&re...l+worker+strike

It's Derbyshire, it doesn't exist for the London based BBC.

Of course, they acknowledge it's existence when they want the TV Licence money.

There's a kind of sliding scale of newsworthiness the further north you go. The exchange rate goes something like

3 people shot dead in Halifax = a half-day tube strike in London

A major motorway pileup outside Bolton = Boris Johnson visiting a primary school in Brixton

Carlisle collapsing into the centre of the earth = cat stuck up a tree in Blackheath

It's not just a London based phenomenon though, here in Sheffield the BBC regional news prog is mockingly referred to as "Look Leeds".

Council workers are not troublemakers. Well, perhaps social workers are, but we need the binmen and the dinner ladies. The worm has turned! :ph34r:

When working, they're not trouble makers. Many of them provide a valuable service. When they suddenly stop, yet hold their positions preventing replacements from being hired they become trouble makers.

Anyway, I had this argument yesterday, and I'm sure you've all seen the 'arguing on the intarwebs' poster, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

There's a kind of sliding scale of newsworthiness the further north you go. The exchange rate goes something like

A major motorway pileup outside Bolton = Boris Johnson visiting a primary school in Brixton

Carlisle collapsing into the centre of the earth = cat stuck up a tree in Blackheath

It's not just a London based phenomenon though, here in Sheffield the BBC regional news prog is mockingly referred to as "Look Leeds".

is it just a regional strike? Schools closed on Merseyside as far as I know...

Same with "The West Today" - BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL. If Swindon Town won the FA Cup and Bristol Rovers drew 0-0 to Hartlepool, that latter would be the big story!

You guys should try living in London, the BBC regional news here is basically exactly the same as the national news, we're getting ripped off!!

Same with "The West Today" - BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL. If Swindon Town won the FA Cup and Bristol Rovers drew 0-0 to Hartlepool, that latter would be the big story!

Brovers drew with Hartlepool? Get in!

Is that your version of a democracy ?

Today it's them but tommorow it will be you

Yeah i know what you mean about school teachers but tthey do have a right to be heard.

School teachers are not striking, it is members of Unison who represent support staff. However, if enough of them are absent it would be enough to close a school. We haven't heard anything about potential 2 day closure here at all.

That's because it is Look Leeds :P There is nothing mocking about it.

many are just having an easy life on our backs.it cuts both ways except when it comes to pensions,job security and holidays and public sector workers win hands down

So become one. The pay is so poor they're struggling to actually employ people on 13k a year.

The wages are atrocious - as with all this Governments attempts to `improve` the Public Sector most of the cash injected has been purloined by the middle-classes such as Doctors , Teachers and Policeman - their pay has risen hugely over the last ten years -meanwhile street cleaners , dinner ladies , teaching assistants etc,etc , have had to sit back and manage on scarcely minimum wage ...

Quite how anyone is expected to subsist in the UK on £13,000 a year is quite beyond me but anything up to a third of the population do ...

Edited by Wires 74

The wages are atrocious - as with all this Governments attempts to `improve` the Public Sector most of the cash injected has been purloined by the middle-classes such as Doctors , Teachers and Policeman - their pay has risen hugely over the last ten years -meanwhile street cleaners , dinner ladies , teaching assistants etc,etc , have had to sit back and manage on scarcely minimum wage ...

Quite how anyone is expected to subsist in the UK on £13,000 a year is quite beyond me but anything up to a third of the population do ...

That's just above the national minimum wage (based on a 37 hour week, 52 weeks a year). Yet on that pittance you've got to pay GBP 1,500 in tax and GBP 1,600 in National Insurance. Presumably the government then employs about 5 civil servants to calculate how to give you nearly all of that back through tax credits. No wonder Gordon Brown spends so much money.

http://www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/LG8702.pdf

front_strike004.jpg

57% of workers in local government earn up to £15,825 per year – that’s £8,175 less than the median average full time salary across the economy of £24,000.

I support them all the way, good on them! I really don't know how the hell they are supposed to survive with £16K. 3 or 4 of them have to group together to buy a house in today's market. Shambolic!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Geez, was a cat stuck up a tree in Blackheath again?!?! :o

Sherwick (from London).

P.S. In which country is 'Carlisle'?

;)

as for council workers,i know a good few and most who are honest admit they're on a good screw.

They must be middle management, something that Councils throughout the UK need to get rid of. If you want to know where the monetary waste is in Councils look at how many middle managers there are and what they're managing.

many are just having an easy life on our backs.it cuts both ways except when it comes to pensions,job security and holidays and public sector workers win hands down

Assuming from the tone of your contribution you believe in the market, then why don't you join them if it's such a cushy number?

The problem with middle management in councils is, their failures are often presented as successes with which they move on every couple of years to mess up somewhere else in the Public Sector. Once 'in' they are securely attached to the host.

Like a self-replicating incompetence monster.

The big failing is the inability to think things through and be aware of the consequences and costs of what they implement. There are just too many of them now. Trying to be 'seen' to be effective regardless. 'It won't bother me... I'll be long gone when the sh!t hits the fan.'

Though higher up the food chain the cushier it gets.

gravediggers get the same rate of pay by our Wirral council as dinner ladies iirc. Pro rata approx. 12-13K per annum. :( That's not good....

People need to stop talking about wages, settlements etc. and start talking about why our money is becoming worthless. If we can redirect the anger from salary negotiations to monetary policy, we might get somewhere. Try explaining currency devaluation to 99.9% of the public though, hopeless.

Corrupt/Inept economic policy is what makes a 13k salary so utterly worthless. Its what makes oil so expensive and its what ultimately causes inflation.