House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

Latest Media Fallacy

I keep seeing people on the media saying that the problems with house prices are caused by banks not lending in a normal way.

I would counter that what is happening now is very normal and the ridiculous situation of the past few years has been really unusual lending practice

:(

I keep seeing people on the media saying that the problems with house prices are caused by banks not lending in a normal way.

I would counter that what is happening now is very normal and the ridiculous situation of the past few years has been really unusual lending practice

Yeah, heard that on the news this evening. Thought the same as you. Lending 125% 5x income is so normal.

A mortgage is easy to obtain, if you have a deposit and only need 3.75 of your salary. If you don't, well you probably should'nt be buying a house.

A mortgage is easy to obtain, if you have a deposit and only need 3.75 of your salary. If you don't, well you probably should'nt be buying a house.

And I expect at the bottom of the crash, even that will be difficult to obtain; I suspect banks will only offer *2 mortgages or less...

I not only agree, but would argue that this one single piece of spin is the most dishonest in the whole battery of spinning fallacies currently spouted by pundits. This, added to the "global conditions" myth accumulates to a quite powerful lie which none in the media seem willing to counter. When is one honest soul on ANY broadcast media going to stick his or her head over the parapet and say, unequivically, the truth? :-

The impending crash is NOT connected with global conditions, but is due to

1) Houses being grossly over valued

2) Irresponsible, criminal and short term lending by almost every single bank and building society

Currently, loans are in fact NOT difficult to come by if sensible criteria are matched. The only loans not available are the ludicrous kind of self cert 100% wing-and-a-prayer loans which have caused the bubble and resulting crash in the first place.

VP

Past lending wasn't normal, it was fuelled by greed. However now banks are uber responsible, if they had been responsible in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess.

People are being misled so they don't ask the right questions about what's been going on. However the truth will come out as the banking system appears to every intent and purpose bankrupt.

They seem to be behaving perfectly normally to me. Llyods cancelled my partner's credit card only 2 months after tripling her credit limit. A few days later she received a direct mail shot urging her to take up a Llyods credit card, followed by a stream of cc cheques.

Yeah, heard that on the news this evening. Thought the same as you. Lending 125% 5x income is so normal.

Yeah why house price inflation erodes the extra 25% in two years and house prices never fall :lol::lol::lol: