House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flash harry

News At Ten - Recession + Housepricecrash

WOW that was bearish... plus raising the spectre of interest rate increases.

I can hear the gnashing of teeth through the walls of my terrace.

Well, thank God I transferred the house to my ex-partner last September, rented, and stuck the equity in the bank.

Just watched both (though not at the same time). Both very bearish. Both with recession defined (2 quarters of negative growth) - we could be in on, we won't know until we are well into it. What effect on GDP the loss of all the MEWing? Crazy that the housing market is the UK economy.

Talked about 100,000 house building starts this year; half of last year and blowing a hole in the govt's 3m target (I think 250,000 per year. So much the the supply and demand arguments. Pictures of building sites mothballed, not starting.

Black holes in the govt. finances... unemployment, stock market falls, retail slowdown, prices up, interest rate dilemma for the BoE this week. Scary stuff.

No mention of B&B.

Gordon was on from Japan, talking about a future for electric (non-petrol) cars: no one asked him how he would recoup the lost revenue from petrol taxation.

This feels increasingly like the summer of 1980 when the Thatcher recession was getting underway with a sudden spike in job losses etc. :(

Well, thank God I transferred the house to my ex-partner last September, rented, and stuck the equity in the bank.

:lol:

You bas****!!

Er...which bank

WOW that was bearish... plus raising the spectre of interest rate increases.

I can hear the gnashing of teeth through the walls of my terrace.

I reckon there's some reverse psychology at work here. Scare people into thinking their mortgage costs will continue to rise, when in fact the BOE will obey GB and Badger and cut them drastically. Lo and behold another 5 years of HPI on the back of UK indebtedness

:angry:

This feels increasingly like the summer of 1980 when the Thatcher recession was getting underway with a sudden spike in job losses etc. :(

Was it in 1980 that Trevor McDoughnut launched his job loss "totalizer" on News At Ten ? It used to update at the bottom of the screen like an odometer as Trev reported the daily redundancies. Time to dig it out again

Was it in 1980 that Trevor McDoughnut launched his job loss "totalizer" on News At Ten ? It used to update at the bottom of the screen like an odometer as Trev reported the daily redundancies. Time to dig it out again

i used to like the uk map with the red stars of job losses. (mainly in he north)

and then a little green star for any job gains.

this feature seemed to last a few years.

Guest Mr Parry
i used to like the uk map with the red stars of job losses. (mainly in he north)

and then a little green star for any job gains.

this feature seemed to last a few years.

Back then they used to concentrate on the trade deficit too.

Back then they used to concentrate on the trade deficit too.

I tried searching the BBC news website for the term "M3 money supply"... last time that was actually mentioned on a news story was waaay back in... 2001!!!

M3 Money Supply

ffs, what sort of reporting is that? seven years, and not one bit of commentary about what is happening to our money?