House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pagaman

Channel 4 News Is Going To Talk About B&b

Oh dear, more economic gloom, the British chambers of commerce reckons we’re headed down and down. This comes as Bradford & Bingley’s share price plunges lower and lower. The City has little sympathy for B&B. Many think they have brought it upon themselves. But how does the building society dig itself out of this hole? How bad is the situation at Bradford & Bingley? And what will make it worse?

Just before the Simpsons, Mr Snow said in the C4 news preview that the economy was 'going to hell in a hand basket'

Hmmm ... OK.

What did Homer say?

Guest Shedfish
Hmmm ... OK.

What did Homer say?

no beer and no donuts make Homer mad...

beer and donuts mmmm

Oh dear, more economic gloom, the British chambers of commerce reckons we’re headed down and down. This comes as Bradford & Bingley’s share price plunges lower and lower. The City has little sympathy for B&B. Many think they have brought it upon themselves. But how does the building society dig itself out of this hole? How bad is the situation at Bradford & Bingley? And what will make it worse?

It isn't a Building Society.

It's carpet-bagged bank.

Now let's have a look at a couple of other carpet-bagged ex-building societies, Northern Rock, Alliance & Leicester. But this can't be right, banks are so much better than old-fashioned mutuals, aren't they?

It isn't a Building Society.

It's carpet-bagged bank.

Now let's have a look at a couple of other carpet-bagged ex-building societies, Northern Rock, Alliance & Leicester. But this can't be right, banks are so much better than old-fashioned mutuals, aren't they?

Better at what, exactly?

All banking is fraud. The only question is how long it is until they get caught out. It's like asking who the top ten rapists are. :angry:

Yvette Cooper is a loathsome individual.

That's all. Thank you.

+1. Sat there and said the economy was in good shape. Didnt bat an eyelid. Dangerous. Avoid.

My neighbours have just heard quite bit of swearing it has to be said.

Better at what, exactly?

All banking is fraud. The only question is how long it is until they get caught out. It's like asking who the top ten rapists are. :angry:

Better at not worrying about a share price(?) I take your point (up to a point) and of course mutuals can be rather stupid when lending money, it's just that history has shown that mutuals tend not to be absolutely barking mad! Anyway we only have one Building Society of any size left in this country and that's the Nationwide, money is pouring in to them.

Anyone notice the change in Nulab mantra?

"low interest rates"

has now been replaced by

"relatively low interest rates"

and

"comparatively low interest rates"

Coming to a cabinet minister near you shortly............

Guest Mr Parry

Good Evening UK,

I've done the decent thing and finally jacked old blighty in for good. I apologise for previous rants on here, I was very depressed . . . no more!

Anyway, this comes to you from my new house in Issan, bought 4 weeks ago for the grand sum of £4000. Extension starts next week, will be a 3 bed with huge lunge and mooohasssive kitchen. Total cost including all fixtures fittings and furniture, less than £9000.

Only thing is I can't watch Channel 4 News . . . one of the only things I miss along with Branston Pickle of which there is practically none in Thailand.

By all accounts the UK is finished. (Thailand's got big problems too . . . but it's making little difference here as everyone was skint before anyway).

Inflation here is weird. Dairy products have doubled in price in the last 6 months or so. Anything imported is now brutally expensive and so is avoided where possible.

Anyway, someone be a love and give me a run down on what old Snowie's going on about.

Cheers,

Khun Parry

By all accounts the UK is finished. (Thailand's got big problems too . . . but it's making little difference here as everyone was skint before anyway).

Inflation here is weird. Dairy products have doubled in price in the last 6 months or so. Anything imported is now brutally expensive and so is avoided where possible.

Anyway, someone be a love and give me a run down on what old Snowie's going on about.

Sounds like a thread in its own right, would be interested to hear more. Hope it works out for you over there.

Edited by CharlieSays

Guest Mr Parry
Sounds like a thread in its own right, would be interested to hear more. Hope it works out for you over there.

Thanks Charlie,

Well it was never going to work out in the UK. Next stop's Taiwan, got 6 years work there starting September. The UK's got plenty going for it really, it's just, well . . . dull.

Good Evening UK,

I've done the decent thing and finally jacked old blighty in for good. I apologise for previous rants on here, I was very depressed . . . no more!

Anyway, this comes to you from my new house in Issan, bought 4 weeks ago for the grand sum of £4000. Extension starts next week, will be a 3 bed with huge lunge and mooohasssive kitchen. Total cost including all fixtures fittings and furniture, less than £9000.

Only thing is I can't watch Channel 4 News . . . one of the only things I miss along with Branston Pickle of which there is practically none in Thailand.

Cheers,

Khun Parry

Nice to read your posts again! Good luck with all that, sounds fantastic.

In a nutshell, we're all going to be able to get houses for not far off £9K soon as well, although the required anti-theft security to protect yourselves against the huddled masses will push that up a bit :unsure:

Guest Mr Parry
Nice to read your posts again! Good luck with all that, sounds fantastic.

In a nutshell, we're all going to be able to get houses for not far off £9K soon as well, although the required anti-theft security to protect yourselves against the huddled masses will push that up a bit :unsure:

Hello Primitive,

I don't doubt you will. I think a lot of stuff over there is probably going to zero value, technically. New build flats, cn't get mortgage, worth nothing!

I hope to God it works out for all of you. You've waited too long to afford homes and families and that's what life is all about.

Hello Primitive,

I don't doubt you will. I think a lot of stuff over there is probably going to zero value, technically. New build flats, cn't get mortgage, worth nothing!

I hope to God it works out for all of you. You've waited too long to afford homes and families and that's what life is all about.

I think I missed out on the family in one sense, I think we're meant to have children, not discover extra parents. Still to meet my real mum but it'll happen.

My plan as I head toward an inevitable and glorious decline is to save, then travel constantly. Still haven't learned to drive, so I won't be frustrated when the oil runs out.

As a scouser I shall ride on my bike with the most ironic smile in history thinking of Norman Tebbit's "Get on your bike and ride" speech.

Good luck fellah.

I saw Neil Young in Kent live this weekend. That'll keep me sane for a bit. Bring on the musicians grant (the Giro), proper Theatre, thumbing lifts with mates.

Time to get back to what's important.

Fcuck the consumer society.

Guest Mr Parry
I think I missed out on the family in one sense, I think we're meant to have children, not discover extra parents. Still to meet my real mum but it'll happen.

My plan as I head toward an inevitable and glorious decline is to save, then travel constantly. Still haven't learned to drive, so I won't be frustrated when the oil runs out.

As a scouser I shall ride on my bike with the most ironic smile in history thinking of Norman Tebbit's "Get on your bike and ride" speech.

Good luck fellah.

I saw Neil Young in Kent live this weekend. That'll keep me sane for a bit. Bring on the musicians grant (the Giro), proper Theatre, thumbing lifts with mates.

Time to get back to what's important.

Fcuck the consumer society.

Absolutely, 100% correct, guaranteed! Go forth and live a life less ordinary.

I think you would particuarly like it where I live. It's poor, but the community spirit is wonderful. I do admit, I do have creature comforts here though, more than I did in the UK.

hell yes! if you don't mind supplying some details in a new thread and talking about how your getting on, would be amazing to read. Real interested in the standard/cost of living over there is 9k can get you a decent set up!

Good Evening UK,

Cheers,

Khun Parry

Sorry to say this dude but within a year you will be able to buy an average house for £9K over here. Plus of course we have Branston pickle and Channel 4. ;)

Guest Mr Parry
hell yes! if you don't mind supplying some details in a new thread and talking about how your getting on, would be amazing to read. Real interested in the standard/cost of living over there is 9k can get you a decent set up!

Don't be fooled Casper. It ain't all roses. Everythings relative and relatively speaking you guys in the UK are about 40 times better off than these poor folks over here. Food can be as expensive as the UK. Case in point. 4 litres of milk cost around £1.10. A DVD player is around £20. Butter is wildly expensive, more so than the UK. To live a 'farang' lifestyle, especially if you buy imported stuff, it can be shocking. Fuel is cheaper, 66p/L for diesel . . . but when you earn £3 a day . . . go figure.

I'm married to a Thai, got kids, hell we've even got a dog. But all the money to do this does not come from Thailand and probably never will. I work internationally. I'm well paid.

Yes, it all looks wonderful, but if you had to earn a living here, forget it. Yes you can set up for around £9k. But you as a foreignor cannot own the land freehold. For many it's very risky. I have been lucky. Unless you're married (securely) and have a network over here, it really is not an option. But hell, I did, so I can't see why others can't.

Over the next year I will be travelling between Thailand, Taiwan and Switzerland . . . possibly London too, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Guest Mr Parry
Sorry to say this dude but within a year you will be able to buy an average house for £9K over here. Plus of course we have Branston pickle and Channel 4. ;)

I think £90k is more the ball park, but yes, folks will finally be able to afford homes in the UK once more.

Good luck to you all.

Don't be fooled Casper. It ain't all roses. Everythings relative and relatively speaking you guys in the UK are about 40 times better off than these poor folks over here. Food can be as expensive as the UK. Case in point. 4 litres of milk cost around £1.10. A DVD player is around £20. Butter is wildly expensive, more so than the UK. To live a 'farang' lifestyle, especially if you buy imported stuff, it can be shocking. Fuel is cheaper, 66p/L for diesel . . . but when you earn £3 a day . . . go figure.

I'm married to a Thai, got kids, hell we've even got a dog. But all the money to do this does not come from Thailand and probably never will. I work internationally. I'm well paid.

Yes, it all looks wonderful, but if you had to earn a living here, forget it. Yes you can set up for around £9k. But you as a foreignor cannot own the land freehold. For many it's very risky. I have been lucky. Unless you're married (securely) and have a network over here, it really is not an option. But hell, I did, so I can't see why others can't.

Over the next year I will be travelling between Thailand, Taiwan and Switzerland . . . possibly London too, but I'm trying to avoid that.

I see, thanks for the info :) Just lately i feel like i really want to leave the UK as i have just had enough and i am only 25! I always had the pipe dream of buying my only place cheap in a few years but the more i think about it the more i don't want to live here! All the best though, i hope you can make a real go of it :)

Edited by casper_uk