House Price Crash Forum

The Crash & Nr Made Worse By The Media

HOLA441

Having a minor spat on MSE & being accused of making 'sweeping statements' ..(who, me?)

& then a gem. We must have it wrong folks?

"Whilst it is obvious that the house prices are falling, I think the so called "crash" wouldnt be half as bad if it wasnt in the media on a daily basis. With all the media coverage about falling house prices it is inevitable that people particulary FTB's will hold out in order to get a much cheaper property. The longer people hold out the lower the house prices will get.

Just look at the Northern Rock situation, that wouldnt have been no where near as bad without the Media Coverage. I think the same applies to a housing market crash, without the media sure things would get a bit tighter, prices would fluctuate according to supply and demand but surely we wouldnt be fearing a 50% fall in prices."

:blink:

LINK but the rest is nothing special

HOLA442
Guest pioneer31

"Whilst it is obvious that the house prices are rising, I think the so called "boom" wouldnt be half as bad if it wasnt in the media on a daily basis. With all the media coverage about ramping house prices it is inevitable that people particulary FTB's will panic in order to get a property before it's too late. The more people panic the higher the house prices will get"

HOLA443
HOLA444
"Whilst it is obvious that the house prices are rising, I think the so called "boom" wouldnt be half as bad if it wasnt in the media on a daily basis. With all the media coverage about ramping house prices it is inevitable that people particulary FTB's will panic in order to get a property before it's too late. The more people panic the higher the house prices will get"

Damn! Beaten to it! :P

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Having a minor spat on MSE & being accused of making 'sweeping statements' ..(who, me?)

"Whilst it is obvious that the house prices are falling, I think the so called "crash" wouldnt be half as bad if it wasnt in the media on a daily basis. With all the media coverage about falling house prices it is inevitable that people particulary FTB's will hold out in order to get a much cheaper property. The longer people hold out the lower the house prices will get.

Just look at the Northern Rock situation, that wouldnt have been no where near as bad without the Media Coverage. I think the same applies to a housing market crash, without the media sure things would get a bit tighter, prices would fluctuate according to supply and demand but surely we wouldnt be fearing a 50% fall in prices."

"If it wasn't for you meddling kids I'd have gotten away with it!" Grrr... :P

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The poster is right, of course. Markets do, after all, need information to work efficiently.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

LINK but the rest is nothing special

....and maybe the boom (that created the conditions for such a big crash) wouldn't have been quite so bad if we hadn't talked so much in the media about "property investing".

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

I for one will not mind the crash (even if I lose my job - which looks likely) providing I can see Martin Roberts and Kirsty Allsop living in destitution in a ditch.

HOLA4415
WTF? You've been banned?

So much for freedom of speech!

When did you get banned???

Got banned a few months ago.

For having a go at a few of the heavyweights on there who were talking rubbish.

I didn't even get a warning. They just banned my IP address.

HOLA4416

Hmm I'm having trouble working out which logical fallacy box this post will fit in....False Attribution maybe? or Proof by Assertion..you know in all this excitement I can't make my mind up :rolleyes:

HOLA4417

On R5 Live Victoria Derbyshire show this morning (on the imminent recession) there was plenty of 'anger phase' in evidence, including the increasingly common 'it's all the fault of the media' moan.

House price falls were to the forefront of the show, with interviews with individual EA's who are shutting up shop this very week. They blamed everything and everyone - except the fact that house prices are far too high. Victoria, to her discredit, only brought it up once, at the very end of the show. It was roundly denied by a newly-redundant EA, who said that 'house prices have gone up...because they've gone up'. Real brain at work, there...

Expect a lot more of blame directed at the Media. People are beginning to seek something to lash out at, as they realise the war isn't a phoney one, but for real.

It will interesting when attacks on the Media inevitably begin to examine and include the role of the property ramping shows...

HOLA4418

All this 'Blame the media' talk will get Crash Gordon off the hook.

How many excuses will we get through before the finger is pointing (rightly) to him? We've had:

1. American Subprime

2. Credit Crunch

3. Worldwide Economic Problems

4. Meeja

5? Gordon Brown

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
IP address identifies the specific connection you are using. Changing your router would still use the same IP I believe.

Not for most people AFAIK. People actually have to pay extra to get a static ip address, most people have dynamic ip addresses which change when the connection is renegotiated. Switching off the router for 5 minutes and then restarting it usually gets you a new ip.

Edited by Little Professor

HOLA4422

Back on topic, another MSE-er today complaining about media coverage of house prices:

aarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh

I have to say I wish the media would stop reporting about how bad things could get. What are we meant to do about it.

I brought my home at 95% LTV on a fixed rate for 2 years that is due to expire next June - will all of the worry i don't know weather to cut my losses, pay the redemption fees and remortgage now incase mortgage rates go up by alot.

So fed up with it all, it's driving me mad to keep thinking about what if's

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth....html?t=1020937

HOLA4423
Not for most people AFAIK. People actually have to pay extra to get a static ip address, most people have dynamic ip addresses which change when the connection is renegotiated. Switching off the router for 5 minutes and then restarting it usually gets you a new ip.

Thanks prof and others who have replied to this.

I'm not a very techie type person so am not sure how all this interweb stuff works.

I have tried switching off the router but it didn't work.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Thanks prof and others who have replied to this.

I'm not a very techie type person so am not sure how all this interweb stuff works.

I have tried switching off the router but it didn't work.

Sorry - still off topic...

But I believe that they would block the entire range of IP addresses that you are capable of logging on to through your ISP.

EDIT: I would suggest either 1) changing your ISP, or 2) add another dial up account, and see if you can use this alongside your current broadband to log onto MSE.

But i'm not really an expert if i'm honest.

Edited by Notlongnow