House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stud

Cheapest Country To Purchase Troy Ounce Ay Gold Bullion

does any body know which is the cheapest country to purchase troy ounce Au gold bullion bars.?

Interesting question. I have often wondered this too, but I supect that everyone uses the standard spot price as a reference and adjusts accordingly to the local currency on a daily basis, after adding a markup.

Also, I think you might need to buy a lot of gold in order for this to make financial sense though.

For example, if you get a 1% discount on some bars in a particular European country you would presumably need to travel there to get them. The cost of this travel would probably be a minimum of £200 if you include flights, getting to and from airports, accommodation and all the other things. So you need to make up the £200 in your 1% discount.

Which means a purchase of £20K using these simple examples. At current rates, this is about 40 gold coins or 1.5KG.

Still haven't answered your question have I? Sorry.

There isnt a cheapest place. If gold was $100 in London and $102 in NY, then people would just arbitrage it away by buying in London and selling in NY.

does any body know which is the cheapest country to purchase troy ounce Au gold bullion bars.?

There is no real difference between countries unless a country adds taxes the sale of gold. The UK is one of the cheapest as there is no tax on investment gold in either coin or bar form, although there is on jewellery.

The amount of dealer mark up is the real killer on the purchasing of gold, the only way to reduce dealer mark up is to have a large number of dealers all selling the same item. The US has most probably got the largest number of dealers in one country and the dealer margins are very low but no more than the average in the UK if you were to add shipping.