House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
insidetrack

Sid And Doris Bonkers Are Remortgaging

Sid and Doris bonkers are looking to remortgage their 4 bed semi in Hounslow. Since they bought in 2000 they have remortgaged every two years and have always secured a very competitive deal but this year they are having problems.

Their mortgage broker Ray Badger of John Chardwood & Co explains, "Sid and Doris first bought with a £250,000 repayment mortgage, since then we have been able to get them a great new deal every two years. Currrently they are on an interest only "Together Forever" deal for £400,000 with Northern Rock and are being moved onto a SVR of 7.8%. There is no chance whatsoever of anybody else offering them a mortgage. This is terrible for them and for us and the government must do something."

Sid, a mini cab driver, and Doris, a dinner lady, take home £28,000 after tax which is almost enough to cover the mortgage, so they do not have a lot left over.

Doris said "We are going on a three week safari holiday in Kenya with our friends Stan and Patsy next month, so I hope we get something sorted before then."

Sid and Doris bonkers are looking to remortgage their 4 bed semi in Hounslow. Since they bought in 2000 they have remortgaged every two years and have always secured a very competitive deal but this year they are having problems.

Their mortgage broker Ray Badger of John Chardwood & Co explains, "Sid and Doris first bought with a £250,000 repayment mortgage, since then we have been able to get them a great new deal every two years. Currrently they are on an interest only "Together Forever" deal for £400,000 with Northern Rock and are being moved onto a SVR of 7.8%. There is no chance whatsoever of anybody else offering them a mortgage. This is terrible for them and for us and the government must do something."

Sid, a mini cab driver, and Doris, a dinner lady, take home £28,000 after tax which is almost enough to cover the mortgage, so they do not have a lot left over.

Doris said "We are going on a three week safari holiday in Kenya with our friends Stan and Patsy next month, so I hope we get something sorted before then."

MEW will be the death of the middle classes.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Does this mean I'll be able to get a cheap English cleaner?

Preferably one with OCD, they have a better sense of order when working under stress.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I think that's the problem, they think they're "middle classed" and they've been living the life of the "middle class", but they ain't and they can't. Reality is about to explode all over them with a vengence.

The past few years have been seriously weird?

Edited by ReggiePerrin

These two should be locked up for Fraud, as well as the broker aiding and abetting.

Of course, this couldnt possibly happen in real life.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Am I hallucinating?

"Together Forever" ... down the drain.

I think that's the problem, they think they're "middle classed" and they've been living the life of the "middle class", but they ain't and they can't. Reality is about to explode all over them with a vengence.

The past few years have been seriously weird?

Agreed. I think its these people, who will suffer the most....and these are also the people who think that their house is worth £400k and will cling to that belief until the baliff's drag them out of "their" house kicking and screaming. I'd shed a tear for them but I am all out of sympathy.

Sorry, nice attempt but parody is now impossible - see the "Daily Mail Saturday; do they expect sympathy" thread about Robin and Winsome (really) Ward

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Please tell me people can spot sarcasm, or am I missing the sarcasm of the reply posts?

I don't see any sarcasm here, sonny.

It's the Daily Mail truth, if you don't believe it you're a terrorist.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Safari?

They're joking arn't they?

Surely they belong at Butlins? Do they think Sambo is daft? Like music, Stupidity is an international langauge. I wouldn't be surprised if they're ethnic landrover was found by a wateringhole full of bullet holes and the hub caps missing (shiny things you know - like what sambo likes to hang from his straw hut).

Edited by mrcutegurlzz

I don't see any sarcasm here, sonny.

It's the Daily Mail truth, if you don't believe it you're a terrorist.

Nah, its more like an article from the Mew England Journal

or one of the friend of a friend of my neighbours 3rd cousin stories....

but sarcasim aside the sad thing is that this is actually going on around the country.

Sorry, nice attempt but parody is now impossible - see the "Daily Mail Saturday; do they expect sympathy" thread about Robin and Winsome (really) Ward

Linky?

You forgot to include the bit where Sid said 'We have to hold onto this house, it's our pension as well.'.

You forgot to include the bit where Sid said 'We have to hold onto this house, it's our pension as well.'.

and " We are innocent victims of the credit crunch"

Does this mean I'll be able to get a cheap English cleaner?

Preferably one with OCD, they have a better sense of order when working under stress.

Not a chance, there's no way Sid and Doris would let their cleaning lady go!

I notice that Ray B says its bad for Do and Sid and bad for Charcol.

Take home pay of £28,000 Gross aprox £36400.

Somehow Charcol were able to get them a mortgage over 11 times their salaries. Yep I would say thats bad for Charcol. Even Northern Rocks affordability wouldn't stretech that far.

Makes you wonder?

I notice that Ray B says its bad for Do and Sid and bad for Charcol.

Take home pay of £28,000 Gross aprox £36400.

Somehow Charcol were able to get them a mortgage over 11 times their salaries. Yep I would say thats bad for Charcol. Even Northern Rocks affordability wouldn't stretech that far.

Makes you wonder?

When they last remortgaged there wasn't a problem. Sid had a very profitable sideline running a car valeting business and Doris was doing very nicely with a mobile nail clinic.

Since the lenders have tightened up their rules, checking accounts etc, Sid and Doris have unfortunately had to give up both of these money spinners. :(

PS I think their broker was Chardwood & Co not Charcol.

Edited by insidetrack

I see the name Ray in connection with a mortgage and auto piliot takes over Ray = Charcol. My mistake.

Sorry Ray if your reading.

Pity about the money spinners being given up:) just when they could do with the money.

Guest AuntJess

Now that is where you and I differ: the nouveau(property)riche types who squander money on consumables - 4 wheel drives/foreign holidays/designer clothes etc. are probably what passes for MC THESE days. ^_^ But in terms of social class, middle-class folk conserve their assets: These Squanderers are the Jimmy-come-latelys to the ranks of the middle class and aren't truly MC.

MC is a way of thinking, it is not just down to how much lolly you (think) you can scrape together. :rolleyes: