Realistbear

S K Y: Persimmon And "plunging Sales" Leads To 1,100 Jobs Lost

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/08072008/140/house...1-100-jobs.html

Tuesday July 8, 07:29 AM
House Builder Set To Axe 1,100 Jobs
By
Sky News
| | |
House Builder Persimmon is to axe around 1,100 jobs as it battles against plunging house sales and property values.
The move follows similar announcements last week by rival building firms including Barratt Developments and Taylor Wimpey.

The crash shifts up into 2nd gear. This one has six speeds. :o

Edited by Realistbear

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/08072008/140/house...1-100-jobs.html
Tuesday July 8, 07:29 AM
House Builder Set To Axe 1,100 Jobs
By
Sky News
| | |
House Builder Persimmon is to axe around 1,100 jobs as it battles against plunging house sales and property values.
The move follows similar announcements last week by rival building firms including Barratt Developments and Taylor Wimpey.

The crash shifts up into 2nd gear. This one has six speeds. :o

All sounds familar. In 1990, in a bizarre piece of misjudgement, and I can only blame meself, I took a position in an industry heavily

reliant on construction, so I'd moved from a "safe" infrastructure industry, duh!

Anyway 18 months later, I was retraining to do software work, as all our jobs had disappeared.

Even worse, one of my colleagues at the time, had joined the business, having previously been a trainee estate agent,

until that one finished.

Yup, there were tears downstairs in our building yesterday when about 1/2 the staff got told not to come into work today.

Yup, there were tears downstairs in our building yesterday when about 1/2 the staff got told not to come into work today.

Do big burly builders cry?

Do big burly builders cry?

According to our shared tea-lady, yes, copiously.

Not that many of the back office staff around here are big burly builders.

BBC is now reporting 2000 jobs lost at Persimmon. Mistake, misinformation or news management ?

BBC is now reporting 2000 jobs lost at Persimmon. Mistake, misinformation or news management ?

No, just spin from Persimmon.

The have been letting people go since the start of the year - not renewing contracts, getting rid of temps etc.

The overall figure for job losses this year is 2,000. That's a 40% cull of their original workforce of 5,000.