House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
notrich

Edinburgh Doesn't Go Down?

Just off the phone from a rather irritating call with my brother his claim is that Edinburgh city centre has never gone down due the fact that it is old sandstone in finite area. Anybody got any views or evidence on the state of Edinburgh city centre property past and present, Financial Planner what do you think.

Just off the phone from a rather irritating call with my brother his claim is that Edinburgh city centre has never gone down due the fact that it is old sandstone in finite area. Anybody got any views or evidence on the state of Edinburgh city centre property past and present, Financial Planner what do you think.

Yes, he is correct. People from Edinburgh are so lucky.

Fair Edina is in a bit of a stand-off at the moment. There is a slight trickle down so far, but she still needs to see the chocolate-flavoured condom that will have her going down like the best of Ranger's Impartial List

Of the Ladies of Pleasure in Edinburgh. Rest-assured, go down she will. ;)

Edit for typographicule errour.

Edited by Radge

Fair Edina is in a bit of a stand-off at the moment. There is a slight trickle down so far, but she still needs to see the chocolate-flavoured codom that will have her going down like the best of Ranger's Impartial List

Of the Ladies of Pleasure in Edinburgh

http://www.cyberscotia.com/ogmios/texts/ranger/ladies-of-pleasure.html' rel="external nofollow">. Rest-assured, go down she will. ;)

YUMMY! :P

There are several active posters from Edinburgh on the HPC Scotland subforum. See the very long ‘Edinburgh latest’ thread in particular.

Edinburgh is the financial centre for Scotland. Er, isn't the global financial community having a wee problem... Won;t there be huge redundancies in Edinburgh? No, of course not. See Newsnight Scotland in HPC in the Media.

I live bang in the middle of Edinburgh, 300 meters from Waverley Station, and while I think that we would all agree that Central Edinburgh is likely to suffer less than the outlying regions, due to good public transport, amenities etc. there are several things that mean that Central Edinburgh won't be immune

1) Most people don't want to raise children in tenemant flats, so that limits the market to those who are pre, post or sans kids.

2) Scotland is the land of 110%+ mortgages, very popular with the pre-kids lot.

3) There is still a lot of building work going on in the centre of town with nearly finished developments in Newington and the new Quarter Mile.

4) (yes I'm a broken record) My understanding is that the council is going to seek to reduce the number of HMO licenses issued as the new UNITE student properties come on line, which would cause some landlords to sell up.

5) All the many many Polish people who live near me are going to give up and go away when the recession starts to hit, (which is a pity as they are quiet and polite neighbours) this may also cause some landlords to sell up.

6) Job cuts in the financial services industry could well be in the picture.

There are a record number of properties on the market at the moment and they aren't shifting. I, for one, am not going to try and sell in this market.... looking forward to buying next year though maybe if the flats I like come down into my price range.

I could understand why people would prefer to live in Scotland, (weather excepted) rather than England, as their Parliament seems to look after its electorate so much better. Did I hear something the other day about free prescriptions?

Prescriptions are £5, but eye tests are free.

I think the public transport is the main thing. Means people aren't so bothered by petrol prices. As a general thing I think people will seek to live closer to public transport in the future. I don't thing petrol will ever ben cheap again.

As Muswell Hillbilly as suggested, grab a coffee and check out the Edinburgh sub forum. Lots of ammunition to shoot your brother down in flames. It is different this time you see, Edinburgh has boomed much later (06-07) than the rest of England and Wales (from as early as 01-02). this means there is a lag. The ESPC (Edinburgh's own property cartel!) have stated that they have twice as many porperties for sale than this time last year, yet transactions are running at 1/5th of the volume. 80% DOWN. A monstrous statistic and right bang in the middle of the peak selling period.

Sandstone often suffers from erosion you know ;) .

Edinburgh is the financial centre for Scotland. Er, isn't the global financial community having a wee problem... Won;t there be huge redundancies in Edinburgh? No, of course not. See Newsnight Scotland in HPC in the Media.

But it's ok. Even if the Financial sector goes teets up we have tourism to fall back on !!

It's not as if that will be adversely impacted by a Worldwide economic meltdown.....

Actually...come to think of it................. :o

Finally, tell your brother to pick up a copy of the ESPC Guide and look at all the little red "Fixed Price" notices. Edinburgh prices have swung in 2 months from being nearly 100% "Offers Over" to 65% "Fixed Price" which, translated fae the guid braid Scots tung, effectively means "Offers Under".

Rest assured Scotland as a whole will go down just as the UK will, but it will take just a little longer. The Edinburgh immunity argument holds as little water as the London immunity claim a few months ago. My spies tell me that property is not moving in Scotland - the EA's up there are twiddling as many fingers as south of the border. The only thing different is the mass delusion, almost entirely created by VI's and Media that somehow Scotland is in a parallel universe unaffected by the crash. This is of course nonsense. All the same economic conditions apply, but in some cases even more so, and it is only the stubborn sellers refusing to lower prices which gives the impression that all is well. If anything, when it happens, it will be more pernicious than what's happening down south.

The Scottish economy is in many regions even more based on fluff than that of the UK, with over-reliance on tourism (not helped by a dismally wet summer) and other non essential services.

VP

Rest assured Scotland as a whole will go down just as the UK will, but it will take just a little longer. The Edinburgh immunity argument holds as little water as the London immunity claim a few months ago. My spies tell me that property is not moving in Scotland - the EA's up there are twiddling as many fingers as south of the border. The only thing different is the mass delusion, almost entirely created by VI's and Media that somehow Scotland is in a parallel universe unaffected by the crash. This is of course nonsense. All the same economic conditions apply, but in some cases even more so, and it is only the stubborn sellers refusing to lower prices which gives the impression that all is well. If anything, when it happens, it will be more pernicious than what's happening down south.

The Scottish economy is in many regions even more based on fluff than that of the UK, with over-reliance on tourism (not helped by a dismally wet summer) and other non essential services.

VP

Agreed, Edinburgh is in a very exposed position to this downturn, which is slowly being talked about in more and more sinister terms on news 24 and co. The demise of the service industry ( which news 24 said is 75% of the economy? did I dream that?) is either now being acknowledged, or allowed to be acknowledged to the sheeple via the box/flat thing in the corner/on wall. Some of the gash which has changed hands for frightening sums of money in Edinburgh is soon to be found out to be pretty worthless, a lot like some of the lenders who supplied the cash.

Just having a play at beta testing Beerhunter's Property Bee upgrade for ESPC. Seems tickety-boo so far. While it may not be the chocolate-flavoured condom that will have Fair Edina going down like a good 'un, It may go some way to being the Flake that will at least put the idea in her head. ;)

Radge and Dances with sheeple speak a world of truth.

Fixed Price = I can't sell, I need to sell and I'm dying to get rid. In the good times this would constitute <10% of ESPC stock as buyers got people to bid in the offers over system. Fixed Price is now a massive percentage of the ESPC stock (which is over 10,000 - a record high).

Edinburgh is toast, its just a small time lag. Top 3 employment sectors in Edinburgh (in no particular order) - Financial Services, Public Sector and Tourism/Retail. Get your brother to tell you which one of those is not vulnerable to taking a hit in an economic downturn.

Even Radio Scotland admitted this morning that Scotland isn't immune and we'd be very unwise to think so. :o

Some of my clients are in the tourism sector and they tell me it is dire at the moment. Americans are staying home, and forward bookings are way down.

Scotland has also grossly over-priced its tourism accomodation, food and other related services. It has geared them towards the US market. This will be a disaster: The poor value of the dollar plus the US recession will decimate US visitor numbers. There are too many tourist hotels trying to cash in on the Scottish History theme and Edinburgh is absurdly expensive. The average tourist gets extremely poor value and the fuel crisis doesn't help. You can't run an economy on financial services either: They are the first to implode when the chips are down. The Scottish middle classes are living an even more fantasy life than their counterparts in the South East. Scotland will crash and burn.

VP

Scotland has also grossly over-priced its tourism accomodation, food and other related services. It has geared them towards the US market. This will be a disaster: The poor value of the dollar plus the US recession will decimate US visitor numbers. There are too many tourist hotels trying to cash in on the Scottish History theme and Edinburgh is absurdly expensive. The average tourist gets extremely poor value and the fuel crisis doesn't help. You can't run an economy on financial services either: They are the first to implode when the chips are down. The Scottish middle classes are living an even more fantasy life than their counterparts in the South East. Scotland will crash and burn.

VP

Preach it brother!