House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Which Uk Banks And Building Societies Will Go Under In The Next Year

There's a lot of people here who think the UK banking system is about to implode. Here's a chance to make your predictions and, if I haven't been run over by a bus or eaten by a shark or whatever in the meantime, I'll resurrect the thread in a year's time and and we can see how many people got it right. I would add a question for 'go bust, depositors get nothing due to failure of the FSCS' but you can only have 3 questions in a poll....

My prediction is that B&B and A&L won't survive as independent companies but that none of the 9 above will actually go bust.

edit:added 'none of the above' options

Edited by tbatst2000

My prediction is that B&B and A&L won't survive as independent companies but that none of the 9 above will actually go bust.

Actually going bust isn't a pre-requisite for a bail-out (NR wasn't technically bust, was it?)

Trouble is, we probably won't know about the bail-out with the next one.

Guest Bart of Darkness
if I haven't been run over by a bus or eaten by a shark or whatever in the meantime

Just avoid long walks, ala. Robin Cook or David Kelly.

Don't forget John Smith or the head of greater manchester police.

Q:your whole family, all of your friends and your pet dog have been slayed gruesomely by some unknown supernatural force. Do you:

A. get in your car and drive to the nearest big city pronto

B. lock yourself in the toilet with a shotgun and a bible and pray for dawn to arrive quickly

C. go for a nice quiet walk in the woods, alone, at night

Anyway, surely some of the mongers of doom must have some more specific predictions of failure to make here. Come on, nail your colours to the mast!

Actually going bust isn't a pre-requisite for a bail-out (NR wasn't technically bust, was it?)

Trouble is, we probably won't know about the bail-out with the next one.

Well, NR owed more money that it could repay at the point it needed to, which is bust in my book. But only time will tell if it actually had assets with greater value than the amount it owed though. Agreed on the second point - or, rather, we'll find out about it months later and the terms won't be clear.