House Price Crash Forum

Payday Uk Loans

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
http://www.paydayuk.co.uk/

APR only 1355%

Gordon Brown's economic mismanagement has brought us Zimbabwe style products.

Unbelievable this isnt it. I saw it on Quidco (they are giving up to ÂŁ70 when you sign up for a new loan)... couldnt believe it, again only the MOST desparate would need to get such a thing, at least its honest about the APR, quite upfront.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest happy?
complete non-story. It's the short term nature of the loan that makes the APR appear so high.

If I lend you ÂŁ10 and ask for ÂŁ11 back after one month that's a loan with an eye watering APR of about 215%. Really though it's a pretty cheap loan.

Not if it's next month's fuel bill.

HOLA449
complete non-story. It's the short term nature of the loan that makes the APR appear so high.

If I lend you ÂŁ10 and ask for ÂŁ11 back after one month that's a loan with an eye watering APR of about 215%. Really though it's a pretty cheap loan.

I get your point but I find it very sad that someone can't get from one paycheck to another without borrowing.

HOLA4410
The really sad thing is there is obviously a demand for these things. Poor people getting poorer.

It is worse than that, poor people having to borrow money to become even poorer…the really sad thing is that many people really just cannot afford to live here anymore.

HOLA4411
It is worse than that, poor people having to borrow money to become even poorer…the really sad thing is that many people really just cannot afford to live here anymore.

There are no poor people in the UK, only people who mismanage and fritter away what they do have.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
There are no poor people in the UK, only people who mismanage and fritter away what they do have.

Unless this post is designed to stimulate a more productive debate then I have to say that for a HPC Veteran to respond in such a way really surprises me.

HOLA4415
Unless this post is designed to stimulate a more productive debate then I have to say that for a HPC Veteran to respond in such a way really surprises me.

You see I thought it would be the opposite. I can honestly say i don't know any poor people. I know folks who live in social housing and have low paid jobs, and in many cases no job. None of them are without food, shelter and more importantly for them it would seem, phone, TV, tobacco or alcohol.

How are we defining poverty here?

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
What do they do if you don't pay?

I think these things are usually a post dated cheque. You give them a cheque for ÂŁ125 post-dated for 30 days. They give you ÂŁ100 cash. The cheque will be guaranteed by a 3rd party (someone like transax) who will give them the money if you don't pay up and chase you for the debt themselves.

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA4418
You see I thought it would be the opposite. I can honestly say i don't know any poor people. I know folks who live in social housing and have low paid jobs, and in many cases no job. None of them are without food, shelter and more importantly for them it would seem, phone, TV, tobacco or alcohol.

How are we defining poverty here?

Poverty was not the topic of discussion and therefore need not be defined here.

Of concern was that poor people are borrowing money to pay bills.

Define 'poor' people.

HOLA4419

Frittering away what they have on keeping their house warm, paying their water bill, their electric bill and wasting money on food to eat!??!!!

HOLA4420
Poverty was not the topic of discussion and therefore need not be defined here.

Of concern was that poor people are borrowing money to pay bills.

Define 'poor' people.

Is there a difference between 'poor' and 'poverty' :unsure:

Sure, 'poor' people may be borrowing money to pay bills. I would argue if they prioritised they may not need to. How many people poor people do you know who go without mobile phone, landline, alcohol, tobbaco, fast food, processed food etc. etc.

If they're frugal and still have to borrow I have a degree of sympathy, although only a modicum of sympathy as many people are poor through bad decisions. If they aren't frugal and borrow to meet everyday costs then I have no sympathy whatsoever.

With my background I've had a *lot* of contact with all kinds of poor people. Many (though not all) aren't victims and don't need the status of victimhood, nor do they need or request sympathy. In fact I'd go as far as to say many of them revel in their 'poor' status as it allows them to absolve themselves of responsibility for some of their actions.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Is there a difference between 'poor' and 'poverty' :unsure:

Sure, 'poor' people may be borrowing money to pay bills. I would argue if they prioritised they may not need to. How many people poor people do you know who go without mobile phone, landline, alcohol, tobbaco, fast food, processed food etc. etc.

If they're frugal and still have to borrow I have a degree of sympathy, although only a modicum of sympathy as many people are poor through bad decisions. If they aren't frugal and borrow to meet everyday costs then I have no sympathy whatsoever.

With my background I've had a *lot* of contact with all kinds of poor people. Many (though not all) aren't victims and don't need the status of victimhood, nor do they need or request sympathy. In fact I'd go as far as to say many of them revel in their 'poor' status as it allows them to absolve themselves of responsibility for some of their actions.

Thing is that people can be frugal and yet still need to borrow money to meet everyday costs, that is why we are all in this huge mess….it has nothing to do with poverty.

HOLA4423
Guest sillybear2

Nobody is badly off in the UK by global standards, even the 'poor' have enough to clothe themselves, (more than enough) to eat and a roof over their heads, not to mention everyone flushes the toilet with safer water than many have to drink.

HOLA4424
Thing is that people can be frugal and yet still need to borrow money to meet everyday costs, that is why we are all in this huge mess….it has nothing to do with poverty.

errrrmmm.... No.

I do not know of one frugal person who borrows to meet everyday costs. Do you know the equivalent wage you need to earn to take home as much money as a single mother in social housing working 16 hours a week?

And who exactly is the "we're" as in 'we're all in a huge mess'. I'm not. I lived within my means (incredibly meagre means at times) over the last 7 years and am now absolutely fine.