House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jsync

Worried Letting Agents?

We have been renting the same house for 7 years, every 3 months we have a house inspection and we fill in a form listing any maintenance requests we may have. For the last few yers we have had the same jobs listed an no action has been taken, sometimes they don't even respond. 3 months ago we received notice of a rent increase and please could we kindly increase our direct debit. I emailed them to say that there were some outstanding maintenace issues which needed resolving but they ignored me. Fast forward to last week when i received a threatening letter demanding the back rent and informing us that we would be charged £23 for each additional letter they send chasing the debt. I promptly replied with a scathing email informing them in no uncertain terms that I will not be paying the increase until lthey fix the issues and would you believe it I had a call from 2 tradesmen to fix things. I had also offered to charge them substantially more for my time that they were wasting too.

So in summary, they weren't too interested in looking after us before when the going was good, it seems that something has changed. I'm still not going to pay the back rent though :)

How do you feel about the house inspections? I've had agents trying to do this before and I've turned them down as I find it intrusive.

Good one you for standing firm on the increase and the maintenance.

We keep hearing that there is such a demand for renting, yet 60 flats are advertised in my development in London (new builds) and no sign of anyone moving in.

I do wonder what is happening with your agent though? Is it possible some of their BTL's are defaulting on payments or going bankrupt?

Edited by Flopsy

The inspections really annoy me and they never do anything as a result of them, sometimes I wonder if they have actually been. I have noticed a definate change in their attitude though, it took 14 months to have the glass door on the oven replaced when it shattered on Xmas day mid cooking and 3 months to decide if they were goiong to replace the boiler when it became unreliable. It seems that landlords are happy to take the money but not fulfil their obligations. I may even push it and ask for a rent reduction. If anyone is wondering the company is Belvoir lettings and the property is in Lincoln.

The inspections really annoy me and they never do anything as a result of them, sometimes I wonder if they have actually been. I have noticed a definate change in their attitude though, it took 14 months to have the glass door on the oven replaced when it shattered on Xmas day mid cooking and 3 months to decide if they were goiong to replace the boiler when it became unreliable. It seems that landlords are happy to take the money but not fulfil their obligations. I may even push it and ask for a rent reduction. If anyone is wondering the company is Belvoir lettings and the property is in Lincoln.

Talk about a truly scummy company!!

Alegedly.

Ahem.

How do you feel about the house inspections? I've had agents trying to do this before and I've turned them down as I find it intrusive.

Good one you for standing firm on the increase and the maintenance.

We keep hearing that there is such a demand for renting, yet 60 flats are advertised in my development in London (new builds) and no sign of anyone moving in.

I do wonder what is happening with your agent though? Is it possible some of their BTL's are defaulting on payments or going bankrupt?

could i just ask which development is this? i'm looking at the rental market now. planning to move end of the year. thanks in advance.

I have found in my years renting that the smaller local firms that live off their name tend to be better,more proactive.but ultimately the LLs are deep ni the mire.

It's definitely worth getting some kind of rapport established with the LL before renting - and of course the reverse is true, too.

Not all LLs are in the mire. There are many doing well - I rent from one. He's not greedy, pays me back for repairs, gets major fixes done without quibble, etc.

Thats scary. I'm sat looking at Belvoir's application form, about to fill in for a house in Lincoln myself......

You may find that you are lucky, however, I have found them to be really quite inefficient. They have loads of houses in Bracebridge Heath, so as a new devlopment there shouldn't be too many maintenance issues........saying that my house is there!

One company I wouldn't go with is Charter House - avoid!