House Price Crash Forum

Straw Poll - Average Age Of The Hpc Members

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 - STR - Didn't get glastonbury tickets - If they don't let you in because of your advanced age, can I have your tickets?

ha! - they let us old birds into glasto - we party the hardest ;-)

at least i will be a homeowner again there - even if its a shabby old tent - is all mine :-)

I'm 29 going on to 18....

was going to be a first time buyer a couple of years ago....

But instead my and my 4 friends, decided to open up a cocktail bar...

so we decided to invest £60,000 each (which was my deposit)

Now we spend the weekends getting drunk and cleaning vomit off the toilets....

LIFE IS GREAT....

Thank you to everyone that has voted on the poll (so far).

Some stats to consider:-

11.7% of active users voted.

Nearly 75% of users who voted are between 26 and 40.

I must admitt I was expecting a higher number of users between 41-50 (12.64%)

Also, I bought my first house when I was just 22 (in 1991), today there appears to be only 7% of members under 25, looking at the HPC site.

Additional thanks to those who added to the thread. I know forums have the benefit of anonymity for the user, but it good to see those who disclosed their age.

There have been 1,646 veiws of this poll (at 14:30 15/04/05). Assuming that those who voted re-visited to see the results, they re-visited the thread 9 times on average.

I probably read 25 or so threads each day. Assuming I re-visit each thread 5 times a day, that is an average of 3,750 hits I record each month on the site. If each of the 182 people that voted recorded the same number of hits that would equate to 682,500 hits out of the 10,000,000 each month (assuming the 182 voters are the core site users). That means a further 9,317,500 hits are from less frequent member or visitors.

Thanks again, (please add your vote if you haven't already).

Edited by Tonyb69

I'm 39 and came close to buying in 2002 but life events prevented that and now are happily renting in a nicer part of London than we could afford to buy in. I walk to work and enjoy all the advantages of life here.

In a year or two Mr Bee Bear and i plan to escape to the country and buy -- hopefully the crash will be in full swing. With no sprogs we don't have to worry about schools etc. so are free to do as we like (at least as jobs allow us)

B)

My late Grandad was 50 (+31) He decided that he was happy being 50 and wasn't going to get any older. :D

I'm 49 ... and holding! Though have considered reverting to 40-10 next birthday. Say 50 and some on this site would be administering an injection!

FYO, in negative equity from 1989, sold 1997 for 1,000 more than we paid.

Now divorced, STR in late 2002 ... and watched prices do their crazy thing ever since. Unwilling to get stung again and don't much fancy going into 100k debt on a single income for a rat hole. 32 years in the workforce and not much to show for it... apart from full head of hair and decent teeth!

in negative equity from 1989, sold 1997 for 1,000 more than we paid.

Now divorced, STR in late 2002 ... and watched prices do their crazy thing ever since. Unwilling to get stung again and don't much fancy going into 100k debt on a single income for a rat hole. 32 years in the workforce and not much to show for it...

If that isn't a warning to FTB's about the dangers of buying in at a house price peak I don't know what is.

Me and Mr No Muggy are off to Glasto too! Woo Hoo, can't wait! We will have to meet up and spread some HPC as we go (Okay beer and music comes first!)

no one will care about hpc at glasto - and lets face it i wont neither!!!

best time to lose reality

see you in lost vaguenes ...!!!

36. but i lied earlier in a post today and described myself as early thirties..!!!

im starting to enter denial.

good point for the tramp about maturing at 38.

ive still 2 years of 'body talk' before it drops off.

why am i renting at 36 ????

the shame !!!

Chill out RFD! Like me you were a bit late arriving for the boat last time because you were away enjoying yourself and your yoof for a few years, however look, see that on the horizon, its the boat coming back. :D

• 2 weeks later...

29 here, 30 soon though :(

I got on the propery ladder in 2000, a nice 2 bed end terrace with a nice garden

Sold it in 2001 and bought a showhome with my then girlfriend.

Unfortunately that house didn't go up in price hardly at all (only about 10K) whilst my 2 bed would've gone up 60K from what I paid. Had to seel the new house when we split. :(

34 and technically a FTB. Had a 2 bed terrace in Portsmouth and sold in 2000 at 60K Now they are around 120k Not pi**ed off at all!! Hubby is in the Army and we live in Germany in Married Quarters and are hoping prices come down to some normallity over the next fewyears so we can buy before we are 40!! We can't afford anything at the moment!

35 with a wife and 16 month old baby daughter who I love more than anything in the world (never thought I'd say that when my wife first started talking of having kids!). Some more info... Java developer (so in IT). Sold my house and am now living with family :)

During the last crash I was lucky not to own. I intend it to be that way this time too.

34 and technically a FTB. Had a 2 bed terrace in Portsmouth and sold in 2000 at 60K Now they are around 120k Not pi**ed off at all!! Hubby is in the Army and we live in Germany in Married Quarters and are hoping prices come down to some normallity over the next fewyears so we can buy before we are 40!! We can't afford anything at the moment

There's going to be plenty to chose from shortly.

Prescott plans 140,000 homes on UK's south coast

Jonathan Leake, Environment Editor

JOHN PRESCOTT, the deputy prime minister, is to launch a new housebuilding onslaught with plans for a giant conurbation along Britain’s south coast.

About 140,000 homes would be built in the so-called Solent Gateway between Southampton and Portsmouth over the next 20 years — with more likely to follow.