House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

D O W Just Dropped 200 Points-- Waz Up?

It was +80 a few minutes ago and now down about 115. Can't find any news threads. Did someone drop something on Iran?

According to Reuters the biggest losers are Merck and banks.

It was +80 a few minutes ago and now down about 115. Can't find any news threads. Did someone drop something on Iran?

I was going to say is it triple witching or something?

But I think not:

Triple Witching : An event that occurs when the contracts for stock index futures, stock index options and stock options all expire on the same day. Triple witching days happen four times a year on the third Friday of March, June, September and December.

This phenomenon is sometimes referred to as "freaky Friday".

The final trading hour for that Friday is the hour known as triple witching. The markets are quite volatile in this final hour, as traders quickly offset their option/futures orders before the closing bell. If you are a long-term investor, triple witching will have a minimal impact on you.

Something else going on?

.......and it has further to go.

I would not be surprised if the Dow dips below 11,000 points by the close of business today.

Was up earlier 'cause oil sh*t itslef, but seems to be the the funnyfanny stuff sending it lower.

VIX is getting near panic stations.

Capitulation can't be far off imho. 300/500 points to the downside tops I reckon.

Earlier, San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank President Janet Yellen said house prices were likely to continue to decline "well into 2009." Yellen also said credit condition are tighter now than in August 2007, despite the Fed's actions.

She said that the current Fed interest rate policy was quite accommodative, and that the fed funds rate was quite low by historic standards. Yellen also said the Fed can't just be "hopeful" that inflation will come down soon.

http://www.fxstreet.com/news/forex-news/ar...85-aa0e7eccbbac

Edited by Red Kharma

AP
Stocks fall on economic worries, earnings jitters
Monday July 7, 1:45 pm ET
By Tim Paradis, AP Business Writer
Stocks sink even amid oil price drop as investors worry about economy, Fannie, Freddie
NEW YORK (AP) -- Stocks turned lower Monday as investors reacted to cautious remarks about the economy by a Federal Reserve official and worried about the financial health of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Just a return to reality it seems. The fall out from the housing bubble will be long, damaging and slow to recover from. Should see 10,500 on the DOW this week IMO.

Wish they'd make their minds up, one way or the other!

Maybe your graph correlates with short-term central bank cash auctions around the world?

I seem to recall FP advising the DOW hitting 15000, on the back of the banks. It would appear that while FP will probably be right, his tip timing needs calibrating ;)

Anything to do with the news on the Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac thread (talk of a ratings downgrade)?

This is 100% the reason for the drop. Rumours they will need to raise 75 Billion USD. I think its been head-in-the-sand. I can't believe no one can see that Freddie and Fannie are both insolvent. The speed of the drop reminds me of the FRiday Bear Stearns went under.

The markets been tanking hard for 2 months now, maybe the PPT have yet to come back from summer vacation. Anyway since the market hasn't been able to muster any kind of pullback in that time and still the media are comatose about this thing I'd guess we have a lot further to go.

VIX is getting near panic stations.

No it isn't. The VIX is around 26 which is just a little higher than normal.

But I recon the market is ripe for some panic-ing and this will force the VIX up to above 30, the DOW down to below 11000 at which point I'll go long for the recovery.

forget the dow look at the s and p 500 now below fib line worse to come

earnings (or lack of them) season is here

its ROOSTING TIME finger licking good!