House Price Crash Forum

Latest On B & B -- Huge Credit Rating Drop

HOLA441

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/080707/214/i2vqc.html

Monday July 7, 05:37 PM
Update: B&B rights issue worries grow; EGM postponed
By Lee Wild
| | |
LONDON (ShareCast) - Fears that Bradford & Bingley (LSE: BB.L - news) will struggle to get its £400m fundraising away heightened (Advertisement)
after the mortgage lender's shares slumped to a record low further beneath the rights issue price.
The bank (TBHS - news) was worth little more than £253m late morning, the least since its float at the end of 2000, following an 18% tumble on further selling after Friday's rating downgrade by Moody's.
A "substantial deterioration in the bank's asset quality" forced the ratings agency to drop its long-term credit rating to Baa1 from A3.

Looks like the end is near for the BTL champ?

If I had savings with them I might find this a convenient moment to make a quick withdrawal.

Edited by Realistbear

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The share price is way off the rights issue price around 42p and 53p respectively. I expect many share holders would be small time, carpet bagger style - and so will have little interest in purchasing an overvalued share, and probably furious at the bank's performance. This which leaves the larger investors, who equally will be reluctant to invest on those terms, unless our friends down at the FSA can persaude them otherwise of course.

Edited by chefdave

HOLA445
Anyone been past a BB office today ? Anyone Queueing ?

Taxpayers are queuing to put money in. The City assumes the BoE/FSA will prop up the rights issue at 55p even if the shares are 10p. This should bring people out on the streets in protest, but probably won't.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I've got just over 15k savings in a B&B ISA. Do you think I ought to pull it out or wait to see how the compensation scheme works?

Do the decent thing and take it out. Go down to your branch at lunchtime.......Take a few mates with you, form a queue and start making fake mobile calls in a very loud voice 'Yah, I'm down at B & B, pulling the savings out, its going belly up? What's that? Can't hear you! Eh? Northern Rock? Yeah, I said, need to get the cash out quickly!!!'.

That should do it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I've got just over 15k savings in a B&B ISA. Do you think I ought to pull it out or wait to see how the compensation scheme works?

How does that saying go; 'a bird in the hand...' if it was me I would be long gone by now- the scheme is untested and unfunded- why take the chance?

HOLA4416

"How does that saying go; 'a bird in the hand...' if it was me I would be long gone by now- the scheme is untested and unfunded- why take the chance?"

Agree. Can't remember who said it, (Reagan?) but also reminds me of the quote 'They say exercise never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance of being the first?'!

HOLA4417

Pull it!!!

I do not mean you should demolish your local B&B branch but rather get the savings out ASAP. It will be quite entertaining to watch another bank go tits up and the government squeal about how safe the banks are.

HOLA4418

A question from the financially naive. I bank with A&L. I have an overdraft which I use every month and my wages are paid into that current account. My savings are all held elsewhere.

Should I continue or should I start looking to move? My nightmare would be to be unable to get out my salary at some point or to have my free overdraft taken over and become more expensive. Is this fear ungrounded?

HOLA4419
Pull it!!!

I do not mean you should demolish your local B&B branch but rather get the savings out ASAP. It will be quite entertaining to watch another bank go tits up and the government squeal about how safe the banks are.

OK, you are all right. I want my money back and if I understand fractional banking that means they'll have about 150 k less to lend out??? So Nationwide is snowed under (thanks for the info). That means hunting on moneysupermarket.

HOLA4420

You will have no problem. Even if they go belly up, the compensation scheme has to be shown to work. The consequences for the scheme and the government would be catastrophic if it did,nt. Imagine, it,s first real test and they delayed or did not pay out, confidence in the system would cease overnight. Mind you, would,nt like to be further down the line with other banks, as there is only so much pain they can deal with.

HOLA4421
What happens if you have a repayment mortgage with B & B and it goes belly-up?

Like Northern Rock, much will depend upon whether you are a Labour voter living in a Labour heartland. I fear the numbers are being crunched as we speak.

HOLA4422
Imagine, it,s first real test

Yeah, but why let your savings be the guinea pig? If B&B went down, it's quite likely that others could follow in quick succession. All of a sudden, a few hundred million £s worth of B&B depositors could become a few billion £s worth of depositors from other banks. The FSA insurance scheme just doesn't look that good when you research it closely.

Plus, what have you got to lose - the interest on the ISA? What if you end up waiting 12 months to get your cash back from the scheme - how much have you lost in interest (and sleepless nights) then? If it was me, I'd pull it.

Edit - clarity.

Edited by Crash Gordon

HOLA4423

Too funny.

This is like testing the antidote to a bite from the Black Widow. You have be injected with the poison first. They tried the clinical tests in two parts, but no volunteers ever volunteered for the second dose.

A canoe to Panama has fewer risks than B&B at this time.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest happy?
It's just like waiting for end of a relative you know it's coming but it keeps dragging on.

It's more a like a relative who's left you everything in their will but you know the estate's being eaten-up by nursing fees. Someone fetch the special pillow for Mr Bradford and Mr Bingley.