House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mSparks

Anyone Play Chess?

Guest mSparks

Chess is a game I've always taken a passing interest in since a was a wee lad, but its only recently I've actually started to give it any further attention, is anyone here a chess 'black belt'?

Chess is a game I've always taken a passing interest in since a was a wee lad, but its only recently I've actually started to give it any further attention, is anyone here a chess 'black belt'?

West London Junior Champion 1981-1982... :lol:

Have not played for a couple of years, Do not know many players anymore.

My seven year old is in the chess club at school though, so maybe soon I will have a partner to thrash and deduct pocket money from :ph34r:

Great game

Guest mSparks
West London Junior Champion 1981-1982... :lol:

Have not played for a couple of years, Do not know many players anymore.

My seven year old is in the chess club at school though, so maybe soon I will have a partner to thrash and deduct pocket money from :ph34r:

Great game

cool,

perhaps you could help me by explaining, or at least point me in the right direction of understanding lingo like:

12.Nc7+

cool,

perhaps you could help me by explaining, or at least point me in the right direction of understanding lingo like:

12.Nc7+

Moves 11-20

After 14...axb6. The position is now materially even but Black has a lead in development and control of the center to compensate for the doubled pawns and centralized King.11.Nd5 Qxe4 12.Nc7+ Kd7 13.Nxa8 Qxc4 14.Nb6+ axb6

After forced moves on both sides, Kasparov made a desperado move with his knight to double the World Team's pawns. Materially the game was still even, with a knight and two pawns balancing a rook. Positionally, the World Team had the disadvantages of doubled pawns and a centralized king, but the advantage of a lead in development and a central pawn mass. With no central pawns, Kasparov had no obvious way to expose the black king. In the judgment of most commentators, the World Team was at least equal, and it was perhaps Kasparov who was fighting uphill.

Kasparov rose to the challenge with an excellent move picked from alternatives which would have let the World Team take a strong initiative. For instance, it was tempting to harass the black queen and possibly fianchetto the white bishop with 15.b3, but this would have invited the World Team to switch wings and initiate a kingside attack with 15...Qh4. Or, to blindly follow the rule "never move a piece twice in the opening when you can develop another piece" with 15.Be3 would have allowed the World Team to play 15...Nd5, bringing the black knight to the square it most fervently wished to occupy. Kasparov's actual move contested d5, somewhat blunted the effect of the black bishop on g7, and retained a compact, flexible position.

yes - the numbers with the dots after them are the move numbers. The first symbols after the number are white's move, the second ones are black's moves.

If you play a game on the gameknot website, it will show you the notation.

Here's an example of a game I played recently.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 h6 4. O-O d6 5. Nc3 g5 6. d3 g4 7. Nd2 h5 8. f3 g3 9. hxg3 Qg5 10. Ne2 Nd4 11. Kf2 h4 12. Nb3 Qf6 13. g4 Bxg4 14. Nbxd4 exd4 15. Ke1 Bh5 16. c3 dxc3 17. bxc3 Bh6 18. Rb1 b6 19. Qa4+ Kf8 20. Bd5 Rd8 21. Qxa7 Ne7 22. Qxc7 Nxd5 23. exd5 Re8 24. Bxh6+ Rxh6 25. Kd2 Qg5+ 26. Kd1 Qxg2 0-1