House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nationalist

At What Price Does Marks & Spencer Become A Buy

M&S have a 52-week high of £6.57 and today dipped below £2.15.

As far as I can see they have two problems, (i) their posh nosh is too expensive, and (ii) they don't give free carrier bags anymore.

Both these problems are quite fixable.

And let us not forget that one Mr Philip Green of London & Monte Carlo harbours an unrequited lust to own the company - does anyone really believe he's given up, or is he just biding his time? The current price is way below his last offer, £4, if memory serves.

He may already be ringing his favourite bankers to raise the cash; a week or two to structure the deal, then... pounce!

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

(OBSEX)

So it seems the revival of M&S actually wasn't the result of inspiring and intelligent management decisions as we were led to believe - just the fact that it is a good place to buy clothes and food when you feel well off. Now there aren't enough people who feel that way.

The town I used to live in - Monmouth - has an interesting food sector: Waitrose, M&S food and .....Lidl. Only a small Somerfield could be considered `middle ground'. I wonder which one will do best.

Y

So it seems the revival of M&S actually wasn't the result of inspiring and intelligent management decisions as we were led to believe - just the fact that it is a good place to buy clothes and food when you feel well off. Now there aren't enough people who feel that way.

The town I used to live in - Monmouth - has an interesting food sector: Waitrose, M&S food and .....Lidl. Only a small Somerfield could be considered `middle ground'. I wonder which one will do best.

Y

Somerfield make bl00dy good crisps. M&S make good chocolates. Tough choice.

When I first moved to England and went to the local food store (well, the only name of a store that I knew sold food) it was M&S. I was utterly shocked at the food prices and thought i would have to starve during my student exchange abroad....

Then I found the local off license. Then the marvels of Morrisons.

Moral of the story: poor people occasionally shop at M&S, but only if they do not know better.

Y

Should have added -

and a really good local independent grocer - good value, knows his customers, provides fruit at cost to the primary school, delivers, makes you smile.

We sometimes forget that supermarkets aren't compulsory.

I think M&S know that their food prices are a major problem; in the last week or they've started advertising some sort of two-dinners-for-£10 deal. I'm not sure how that works but at least they've started to address the issue.

I'd love them to announce, "Sod the planet! We're bringing back free carrier bags." That would show true commitment to shareholder value. :lol:

mands070708.gif

This isn't just a share chart. This is an M&S, non-inflation, non-dividend adjusted share shart.

Buy and hold Rodney. Buy and hold.

'Tis getting rather close to its 20yr lows, but it seems a tad early to be piling in. Maybe a few nibbles now and then may turn out decent in another 5 or 6 years.

post-9973-1215449193_thumb.png

Look who has just popped his head up and gotten everyone talking.... :rolleyes:

Link

Marks & Spencer's share price received a much-needed boost yesterday after banter between executive chairman Sir Stuart Rose and Sir Philip Green, his friend and high street rival, triggered vague bid hopes for the under-fire retailer.

Shares in M&S lost 33pc of their value last week after a profit warning, but closed up 6.7pc at 231.5p yesterday after Sir Philip left his options open regarding making a third attempt at buying the historic chain.

His enigmatic stance was enough to excite City traders looking for any signs of life in the battered retail sector.

(snip)

At the post-awards reception Sir Philip peeled a €5 note from a hefty wad and presented it to M&S's communications director. "I've just bought two shares," he said as cameras whirred and flashed.

Waving gold plastic, Sir Philip added: "If I give you my credit card I might end up owning the whole company."

(etc)

I love the pulling out a fiver (euro natch 'cos he's a tax exile dontcha know) and saying, "I'll have two shares, please." :D

I filled my boots at 219p so this is all great for me. Do it Philip... MAKE A BID!! You known you want to; you want it so bad it hurts.

I think M&S know that their food prices are a major problem; in the last week or they've started advertising some sort of two-dinners-for-£10 deal. I'm not sure how that works but at least they've started to address the issue.

My missus got one of those £10 deals last week - a 5lb chicken, a bottle of wine, a big packet of veg and 2 chocolate puds. She claims the chicken was £10ish if you bought it on its own.

not bad value for them, and at least it's a new idea. I don't really see why their share price is down 2/3. Down yes, but that low?? Even the unemployed need socks :P

mands070708.gif

This isn't just a share chart. This is an M&S, non-inflation, non-dividend adjusted share shart.

'Tis getting rather close to its 20yr lows, but it seems a tad early to be piling in. Maybe a few nibbles now and then may turn out decent in another 5 or 6 years.

Funnily enough their share price seems to track the UK economy quite well - recession in the late 1980s and what should have been one in the late 1990s but due to monetary expansion (i.e. printing bank notes by several guilty Central Banks) it was deferred until this year's mega-wipeout.

mands070708.gif

So, if you want a bargain, don't buy in M&S, buy M&S!!!

Anyone know M&S kept paying dividends thoughout the last recession?

M&S have a 52-week high of £6.57 and today dipped below £2.15.

As far as I can see they have two problems, (i) their posh nosh is too expensive, and (ii) they don't give free carrier bags anymore.

I wonder? I am sensing something of a drift away from the decadent times of of 'branding' and 'designer ready-meals' and a subtle but perceptible shift to frugality: To Aldi/Lidl and the like. That said, I think it is premature to write off the established retailers; John Lewis, M&S and Currys/PCWorld just yet. Still, the market has taken a pretty entrenched view and it takes a brave investor to run against the herd.