House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Tracker

HOLA441

I am waiting for the FTSE to go below 4000. When it goes below this level I will feel more secure about investing my STR fund.

As I am not financially literate I am looking for a simple way to invest, something like a FTSE tracker. I would be very grateful if anybody could offer me any advice on the following questions.

1 Is there a FTSE Tracker that you can buy and sell like a share?

2 What companies provide this service?

3 What are the transaction costs and tax rules on buying and selling FTSE TRackers?

HOLA442

Look for iShares plc FTSE 100 (symbol: ISF).

It's an ETF (Exchange Traded Fund), so it's bought and sold like a share, but tracks the FTSE 100. It has a low 0.4% annual management fee. Unlike funds you can buy and sell this almost immediately with most stockbrokers. There is no stamp duty on it either. It also pays dividends (3.57% as of today).

http://www.ishares.eu/fund/fund_performance.do?fundId=157498

Hargreaves Landsdown allow it to be held in an ISA or SIPP. I'd have thought most other stockbrokers allow you to buy this one as well.

There are also lots of other market trackers...

iShares

My SIPP's full of ETFs, they're a great cheap way to build a diverse portfolio. :rolleyes:

HOLA443

It's an ETF (Exchange Traded Fund), so it's bought and sold like a share, but tracks the FTSE 100. It has a low 0.4% annual management fee. Unlike funds you can buy and sell this almost immediately with most stockbrokers. There is no stamp duty on it either. It also pays dividends (3.57% as of today).

Hargreaves Landsdown allow it to be held in an ISA or SIPP. I'd have thought most other stockbrokers allow you to buy this one as well.

iShares

My SIPP's full of ETFs, they're a great cheap way to build a diverse portfolio. :rolleyes:

Any idea why they only pay a divi of 3.57% when FTSE 100 yield is 4.66% (according to BBG)?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Not sure why the dividends differ. Although to be honest if you're keen on dividends you probably shouldn't be buying the FTSE 100. There are several iShares ETFs that have high yielding stocks in them (e.g. IUKD with 7.65%), but they're not much fun to buy in a bear market :angry: .

Anyways, I'm not sure you'll find anything else with such low charges. Although there are quite a few cheap tracker funds, it's usually a hassle to buy and sell at a specific price, so they're useless for short term trading.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

iShares

Thanks for the info. Sorry I could not reply earlier as my internet connection was down.