House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frozen_out

The Upside To S21

Called our letting agent this morning to let them know we'll be moving out at the end of our contract (just under one months time). She started going on about having to give 2 months notice, so I just reminded her she'd served us with an S21 at the start of the tennancy. All went quiet and she just said 'aaah, yes I forgot'. Very likely.

Anyway, had it not been for HPC I wouldn't have known anything about these, nevermind the upside. So thanks HPC :)

Called our letting agent this morning to let them know we'll be moving out at the end of our contract (just under one months time). She started going on about having to give 2 months notice, so I just reminded her she'd served us with an S21 at the start of the tennancy. All went quiet and she just said 'aaah, yes I forgot'. Very likely.

Anyway, had it not been for HPC I wouldn't have known anything about these, nevermind the upside. So thanks HPC :)

Nice one - although I'm a LL myself, I don't approve of these advance S21 notices. Shows that nasty little practices like that can turn round and bite back!

Lovely.... well done, knowledge is power......!

Guest anorthosite

Even without the S21 you can leave at the end of the contract without notice.

Even without the S21 you can leave at the end of the contract without notice.

I'd been thinking about that, not about doing it but more wondering exactly what is the point of notice in an AST? Surely you can just reach the end of the contract and move on?

I'd been thinking about that, not about doing it but more wondering exactly what is the point of notice in an AST? Surely you can just reach the end of the contract and move on?

It's so the landlord can bring possession proceedings immediately if he wants you out after the contract has ended & moved on to being periodic. It's sneaky, if not downright unethical.

Edited by cartimandua51

It's so the landlord can bring possession proceedings immediately if he wants you out after the contract has ended & moved on to being periodic. It's sneaky, if not downright unethical.

That's what the S21 is for isn't it? In my contract there's a 2 months notice period, the landlord invoked this at the beginning of the tennancy by serving the S21. What I want to know is why include the notice period at all? Is it statutory? Surely even if 2 months notice is not given then at the end of the contract either party can just walk away?

That's what the S21 is for isn't it? In my contract there's a 2 months notice period, the landlord invoked this at the beginning of the tennancy by serving the S21. What I want to know is why include the notice period at all? Is it statutory? Surely even if 2 months notice is not given then at the end of the contract either party can just walk away?

If the contract goes to a Statatory Periodic one the S21 expires (I believe??? it expires once the S21 notice date passes as an S21 must be dated to be valid) then the law states 2 months notice for the LL and one for the tenant.

A notice period is often included if the contract has a break clause, this is binding

Edited by Matt Henson

If the contract goes to a Statatory Periodic one the S21 expires (I believe??? it expires once the S21 notice date passes as an S21 must be dated to be valid) then the law states 2 months notice for the LL and one for the tenant.

A notice period is often included if the contract has a break clause, this is binding

Afraid this is incorrect, if you stay on past the end of the AST the schedule 21 gives the landlord the right to apply to court for immediate possesion and your eviction.

Schedule 21s don't expire there is no legal way of rescinding one either, they are only invalidated by you signing a new tenancy contract.

Afraid this is incorrect, if you stay on past the end of the AST the schedule 21 gives the landlord the right to apply to court for immediate possesion and your eviction.

Schedule 21s don't expire there is no legal way of rescinding one either, they are only invalidated by you signing a new tenancy contract.

You mean Matt is incorrect?

Well I never!!!

i also think it is invalidated if you enter in to negotiations to extend the contract, but get it in writing.