House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Talk Radio Debt Phone In

I could not sleep last night and ended up listening to about 3 hours of a debt phone-in on Talk Radio. Thank goodness I don't have any of the debt problems that those poor sods have. One guy was paying back a sum that would take him 250 years to pay back. Sums in the tens of thousands of pounds were common and it seemed that many of the callers had little or no understanding of the debt they had.

Numerous people were ringing in about IVAs and bankruptcy.

People were saying they were sucidial with worry. Parents were ringing in saying how they were now trying to pay their adult child's debts - one lady was paying £20 per month off a debt in the tens of thousands for her son. Others were ringing in saying how they thoght they had paid off their debt years ago but were now suddenly getting letters from lenders asking for things like £150 arrangement fees - you got the impression that the lenders are so desperate that they have gone back through their books for years to find anything they can claim on.

Some financial bod said that last year about 64,000 people went bankrupt, that this year it would probably be about 80,000 and by 2010 it is estimated to be about 500,000.

Tragic.

The Masked Tulip

I was briefly channel hopping last night, just woke up at about 3.00AM grrrr.

Heard the same, 500,000 bankruptcies in 2010 (from a report or somesuch).

I wonder which report that is, obviously has done the rounds.

It is so not over.

Parents were ringing in saying how they were now trying to pay their adult child's debts - one lady was paying £20 per month off a debt in the tens of thousands for her son.

Unless they've made the error of signing to be a guarantor, I think I'd advise them to 'let nature take its course'. Children (of all ages) are never too old to learn to stand on their own two feet! ;)

Unless they've made the error of signing to be a guarantor, I think I'd advise them to 'let nature take its course'. Children (of all ages) are never too old to learn to stand on their own two feet! ;)

Better off paying any money into an account that the kids dont know about. Let them have the money when the bankrupcy is finished and help them start again. No point helping bail out the banks.

VMR.

Have any of you looked at the debt forum over at MSE recently? Some of the stories there are horrendous!

I am off work today, and all I have seen on TV is bloomin' adverts for loan consolidation companies "...you could even have money left over for things you need!" FFS! When will people learn?

If you go to the Fareham Public mens toilet [no its not a George Michael Invitation], under the multistory car park, next to the shopping centre, there are numerous adverts about debt relief above the urinals.

Something on the lines of this couple Jim and Jayne from Middlesex owe £38,000 and were paying £800. With debt solutions, they got it down to £300 per month, call now ... etc

If you go to the Fareham Public mens toilet [no its not a George Michael Invitation], under the multistory car park, next to the shopping centre, there are numerous adverts about debt relief above the urinals.

Something on the lines of this couple Jim and Jayne from Middlesex owe £38,000 and were paying £800. With debt solutions, they got it down to £300 per month, call now ... etc

What????

I thought I'd seen you through the glory hole!!

Have any of you looked at the debt forum over at MSE recently? Some of the stories there are horrendous!

I am off work today, and all I have seen on TV is bloomin' adverts for loan consolidation companies "...you could even have money left over for things you need!" FFS! When will people learn?

Should be made illegal IMPO. Odd how you don't see such adverts in the evening - obviously, IMPO, going after vunerable people.

Shouldn't they say 'P*ssed all your MEW money up the wall as well? Then call us!'

"Should be made illegal IMPO. Odd how you don't see such adverts in the evening - obviously, IMPO, going after vunerable people."

If you want to create a credit bubble, as Labour have done, then you have to create more debt which means you have to lower the quality of the debt which means you have to lend to stupid people. QED

It did occur to me that this is perhaps the last site on which to advertise debt consolidation services - oh well ;)

Yes, sympathy is in such short supply that it should command a high price. Compassion crunch? :unsure:

It did occur to me that this is perhaps the last site on which to advertise debt consolidation services - oh well ;)

Quite right - I mean check this one - mad APR.

183.2__APR.jpg

post-11983-1215445535_thumb.jpg

Easy to imagine what the ones posted up in the cubicles might have said...