House Price Crash Forum
Its time to buy

Argos Workers Vote To Strike

Also the Times

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4284066.ece

From Times OnlineJuly 7, 2008

Argos faces 'severe disruption' in strike threatSteve Hawkes

Britain’s biggest trade union is threatening strike action at four key regional distribution centres that supply Argos, the high street chain, in a fierce row over pay.

Unite said that two thirds, or 67 per cent, of workers at distribution sites in Basildon, Bridgwater, Heywood and Magna Park in Leicestershire, had voted in favour of a series of 24-hour stoppages.

Argos staff are understood to be furious at a proposed 4 per cent pay rise. Unite claims that Argos, which is owned by Home Retail Group (HRG), has tried to erode a sick pay scheme as part of the wage deal.

Gordy look away now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7492626.stm

Argos workers vote for stoppage

The union warns that Argos could face "severe disruption"

Workers at four distribution centres run by catalogue chain Argos have voted in favour of strike action.

- any news of panic-buying ? (9 carat gold chains and miniature snooker tables)

no but

I would not panic, but it would be prudent stock up up on some food and vital medication - strike action could spread to other businesses.

Edited by notanewmember

no but

I would not panic, but it would be prudent stock up up on some food and vital medication - strike action could spread to other businessess.

Well done Gordon and Mervyn, we are now Bolivia.

The Argos strikers have been given tickets #969-#978

I'm afraid they expect the strike not to take place for at least a year, they are currently serving #231

Argos workers vote for stoppage

- summer of discount-tent becomes summer of discontent ?

(sorry)

I'm afraid they expect the strike not to take place for at least a year, they are currently serving #231

:lol::lol::lol:

'Please note: this worker has been replaced with another of equally high standard. Your statutory rights are not affected'.

The union says it is angry that the company has offered a "below inflation pay deal" when Home Retail Group's profits rose by 16% last year and its chief executive received a 58% pay rise.

I'm sure he worked harder than all the staff and deserved his huge reward.

Joking aside, as a civil servant we've just been offered 3.3% which in anyone's terms is a pay cut at the moment. I can see strike action ahead, although the general public doesn't seem to have much sympathy, unless of course they need something from a civil servant in which case they kick up a right fuss if it's not done the next day. <_<

Joking aside, as a civil servant we've just been offered 3.3% which in anyone's terms is a pay cut at the moment. I can see strike action ahead, although the general public doesn't seem to have much sympathy, unless of course they need something from a civil servant in which case they kick up a right fuss if it's not done the next day. <_<

Bad luck. I don't think the government civil service ever has "pricing power" when the business cycle turns down. I expect you'll be asked to "lump it" and we'll get a Summer, Autumn and Winter of discontent - and that's just in 2008.

Edited by AvidFan

But if your bosses, government ministers, along with other MPs had a taken a paycut, and abolished the second homes allowance and the "John Lewis list", would civil servants be more inclined to accept 3.3%?

But if your bosses, government ministers, along with other MPs had a taken a paycut, and abolished the second homes allowance and the "John Lewis list", would civil servants be more inclined to accept 3.3%?

I don't think so. I expect a lot of MP's have other sources of incomes. For 'normal' civil servants (not the senior lot) then this is our only source of income and it's effectively being cut.

I take the view that everyone is going to be hit hard in the next two years, and at least in the job I do I can pretty well guarantee job security, so I can ride out the storm. Still, it would be nice if my wages were not in real terms going down each year. There will be a lot worse of than me, that's for sure, but what niggles is the low opinion we get from the general public.

But... but.... houseprices are falling, so the biggest cost, housing is getting cheaper. So no payrises are needed. You what? You have got to pay the mortgage because you bought a house in 2007? Oh. :o

what niggles is the low opinion we get from the general public.

That's because people find it easier to criticise than come up with something constructive.