House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
victor charly charly

Renting Market In Edinburgh Struggling?

That is an odd one. I would have thought 12 months for the price of 10 would suit the Edinburgh market better. There are loads of people that just want to rent September to June but most of the agencies force people to take 12 month contracts.

I've just let my flat out privately via gumtree for those 10 months. I advertised at a little less than the rates on ESPC for similar properties, got loads of interest and was able to pick the tenant that I wanted.... I don't think its slowing. But it may depend on the type of property. I still reckon HMOs are going to start to struggle, especially the ones in bad condition or noisy areas, when the new UNITE student properties are all finished.

Suppose tho getting some one to pay for 12 months would be a better incentive for the landlord, and would be less of a discount - 10/12 v 12/14.

I have only seen the one sign but there's bound to be more on the way - can't imagine the agency just getting one made!

I think most people would prefer a private landlord like yourself rahter than an agency - no crazy expensive credit checks, registration fees, etc.