House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire Lad

Water Companies

While out today, got talking to someone who works for Yorkshire Water who lay the water mains in to new estates as none are being built.

At the moment they are on 4 hour days, instead of the normal 8. They have no idea if and when conditions will change as its dire out there at the moment.

The only work that they are doing is repairing existing water mains and sewerage - no new stuff is going in as there is no call for it.

This must apply to the other utility companies as well, so I guess telecoms, power, gas etc are all affected. Guess there will be redundancies not too soon.

Edited by Yorkshire Lad

While out today, got talking to someone who works for Yorkshire Water who lay the water mains in to new estates as none are being built.

At the moment they are on 4 hour days, instead of the normal 8. They have no idea if and when conditions will change as its dire out there at the moment.

The only work that they are doing is repairing existing water mains and sewerage - no new stuff is going in as there is no call for it.

This must apply to the other utility companies as well, so I guess telecoms, power, gas etc are all affected. Guess there will be redundancies not too soon.

I have heard that west yorkshire is probably going to be the hardest hit in a recession.

We had a quote for a second redundant chimney to be removed from our property last year (Water leaking in behind the flashing).

1st Quote local builder - £1750

2nd Quote local roofer - £1870

3rd Quote cash in hand friend of the family - £800

Obviously turned down the first 2 Quotes, friend of the family could not do the work for at least 6-12 weeks as had lots of work on a local building site, in the end we said we would leave it till this year.

Since April this year the friend of the family has been constantly in touch about undertaking the job, his work at the building site is now down to 2 days a week.

I have since had another roofing company (Recommendation) to have a look and they have come in at £950, and again since giving the quote have phoned twice to see if I want to proceed.

I think it will be £500 cash in hand for you know who.