House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

The Ecconomy - How Will It Affect Sport?

im a big motor racing fan, but it is heavily funded by all types of business from all over the world, and the tracks get money from spectators going, but as money gets tight less people will want ot spend £100+ for a GP ticket, and the millions spent on sponsorship will obviously dry up as companies look to save money.

Santander who sponsor Mclaren Mercedes is one im interested in if they pull the plug on their multi million, multi year deal.

obviously there are other sports that will be affected, football is another one

whats your thoughts?

im a big motor racing fan, but it is heavily funded by all types of business from all over the world, and the tracks get money from spectators going, but as money gets tight less people will want ot spend £100+ for a GP ticket, and the millions spent on sponsorship will obviously dry up as companies look to save money.

Santander who sponsor Mclaren Mercedes is one im interested in if they pull the plug on their multi million, multi year deal.

whats your thoughts?

the events will gravitate to more prosperous nations. i hope you enjoy your visits to china.

whats your thoughts?

Motor racing can go. Scalectrix for Kidults, monkey. You ought to know better.

Interesting question.....one for which I have no answer.

I think alot of sporting events (ie annual sporting events: Wimbledon, Open Golf, Grand National) won't suffer too much.

It will be interesting to see how Premiership football attendances hold up this year.

Sport will survive. The participants just may not get paid as much.

Back in the early 1970s quite a few of the major TV sports such as rugby, athletics and even the tennis at Wimbledon was largely amateur. Even professional sportsmen such as footballers were on modest salaries by today's standards. I do not remember that the quality of performance was much lower than today. Indeed I suspect the cricketers from that era would royally thump the overpaid ninnies who play currently.

Sport is a branch of the entertainment industry. The players are no different to actors, they earn their cash from people paying to watch them.

People will always want entertainment. Even in impoverished times, the people will pay to watch the circus acrobats or the traveling minstrels. They wont pay the current prices though. The industry will continue but with less money for the players and less profit for the clubs.

It is an excellent question.

Private equity take-overs of quoted and unquoted businesses of all complexions was rife due to the credit/debt boom and the leverage possible. Many of these business models simply won't work in the current environment.

I spent a great deal of time involved in the fight against the Glazer take-over at Manchester United, which as most people will know used, in one way or another, debt of nearly £700m to purchase the business for £800m. The only way they could make this work was driving up revenues very quickly. Ticket price rises of 50% over 3 years, increased sponsorships, new business partners.

Will ticket sales hold up as the UK economy tanks? I can't see it. Will those supporters who fly in to games from Scandinavia and Ireland be able to afford to continue? Probably not in such numbers. Will supporters drive the 400 mile round trip from London and the south west? Will AIG continue seek to save money on sports sponsorships? Ditto airlines? and so on......

So, my view is that sports revenues will suffer because most current prices are way out of line with what can be supported during a contractionary period. My prediction was that Glazer would be forced to sell after 3 years, and we have just begun year 4. I am expecting a sale within 12 months, probably to an Arab or Far Eastern cash buyer, with an non-leveraged business model who can afford a period of lower/stagnant prices. As I'm sure we will also see across other consumer-oriented business sectors.

I respectfully direct you to myfootballclub.co.uk. You can share the ownership and management of the club for a modest annual subscription yet never have to leave your laptop. It is a fuel efficient way to football support and could be a model for other sports to wrest control from the millionaires. Not a good solution if you actually want to play a sport though.

Will ticket sales hold up as the UK economy tanks? I can't see it. Will those supporters who fly in to games from Scandinavia and Ireland be able to afford to continue? Probably not in such numbers. Will supporters drive the 400 mile round trip from London and the south west? Will AIG continue seek to save money on sports sponsorships? Ditto airlines? and so on......

That is a great point. Many people will travel some distance to watch their team....even for home games.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in the current climate. As people have mentioned, players may end up having to take less ££.

The outcome: It could be that England will no longer be the land of plenty for average foreign players to come and earn thousands for not doing a great deal. Therefore, home grown players may well get an opportunity...and who knows....the England team might well qualify for and do well at a Tournament.

whats your thoughts?

If it will mean less s*dd*ng footie on the telly, hallelujah!

I won't cry if the Olympics gets canceled.

The Olympics are simply one of Ken Livingstones schemes for channeling tax payers money to Black organisations.