House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Street Bev Is Broke

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/0607_corrie_star_broke.shtml

Wildly over-ambitious, pouring money into something that can't fail because nothing fails in Gordon's debt-funded fairyland.

"We also stocked up on Cristal champagne at £140 a bottle and planned to sell it for £200. It's fair to say that we really went for it."

Just sums it up for me. One of my staff paid £300 for her car.

I would also be interested to know if the

Her six-bed dream home in Salford had to be SOLD for £390,000 so her business could keep trading — and she now lives in a small rented cottage.

is an accurate price or whether this is still being talked up, I don't know how to find this but there are some clever people on here.

And always end with a gag, this made me smile:

Their business BJ Leisure

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/0607_corrie_star_broke.shtml

Wildly over-ambitious, pouring money into something that can't fail because nothing fails in Gordon's debt-funded fairyland.

"We also stocked up on Cristal champagne at £140 a bottle and planned to sell it for £200. It's fair to say that we really went for it."

Just sums it up for me. One of my staff paid £300 for her car.

I would also be interested to know if the

Her six-bed dream home in Salford had to be SOLD for £390,000 so her business could keep trading — and she now lives in a small rented cottage.

is an accurate price or whether this is still being talked up, I don't know how to find this but there are some clever people on here.

And always end with a gag, this made me smile:

at least she had a go, in a business, that required effort and needed to attract and retain customers.

She took a risk, she was entreprenuerial and put her own house on the line.

Its funny though, that at the same time she was doing this, the banksters would lend 100% to anyone who said they were in the "property" business, no experience required, no equity required, no deposit or skill required, indeed, you could do it all part time for just an hour or so a week.

There was definately something wrong with the banking "system", the crash is NOT an aberration, it is merely the train reaching back to the tracks.... and it needs to get back on track PDQ.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Coronation Street Bev has £218k debt

Despite having "a six-figure Corrie salary to back up the business".

Had to fire my TV son

Not because he was a transvestite I hope.

We wanted to impress people," she said. "We wanted people to come in and say, ‘that Liz McDonald's toilets are great'."

Then leave without spending any money?

<pendant>Liz McDonald is a fictional character. She's not real.</pendant>

It's one way to blow all your money.

at least she had a go, in a business, that required effort and needed to attract and retain customers.

She took a risk, she was entreprenuerial and put her own house on the line.

Yes she did. However the business was inappropriate and based on an aspirational designer culture that is mercifully biting the dust.

I don't class her as a villain, like the Boveys of this world, but as a sheep who bought into the lifestyle bubble.

This sort of "glamour" business will be tumbling everywhere (some of the more ambitious local bars have hit trouble) without hitting the headlines. She couldn't make it work with her Corrie salary so what chance the rest of them who have done it all on debt?

<pedant> "pedant"

"pedant" <pedant>

:P couldn't resist!

I wasn't actually sure which was her real name, I don't watch soaps. Then again it appears she's not sure either :lol:

Yes she did. However the business was inappropriate and based on an aspirational designer culture that is mercifully biting the dust.

I don't class her as a villain, like the Boveys of this world, but as a sheep who bought into the lifestyle bubble.

This sort of "glamour" business will be tumbling everywhere (some of the more ambitious local bars have hit trouble) without hitting the headlines. She couldn't make it work with her Corrie salary so what chance the rest of them who have done it all on debt?

Shes, no villain, thats true, but there are many many people who will have gone into business, in the boom, and wondered "Hey this is easy, why didnt I do this before. I must be good at this, I know, Ill expand", not realising that the success they are experiencing is just excess money floating around trying to find a home.

BTW, I was 100% guilty of this in 1985!!!. I didnt know any better. I do now and my business today is on MUCH safer footing ( I hope)

Guest Bart of Darkness
<pedant> "pedant"

"pedant" <pedant>

:P couldn't resist!

:lol: Fair dos. I blame it on it being well past my bedtime.

I wasn't actually sure which was her real name, I don't watch soaps. Then again it appears she's not sure either :lol:

Most soap actors are referred to in newspaper headlines by their characters name more often than not. Most members of the soap viewing community will rarely use the actors real name either.

As an additional, Bev Callard has at least 4 keep fit videos to her name. Yet another juicy revenue stream squandered it seems.

Most soap actors are referred to in newspaper headlines by their characters name more often than not. Most members of the soap viewing community will rarely use the actors real name either.

As an additional, Bev Callard has at least 4 keep fit videos to her name. Yet another juicy revenue stream squandered it seems.

Gutted: I paid £19.99 inc Carriage and QVC special extras for my copy. Now its 1p. Gutted.

Guest X-QUORK

WARNING - CRASS GENERALISATION AHEAD...

I have to visit one of our offices in Warrington every now and then, and I have to say most of the women up there are carbon copies of this Bev woman. Fake tans, hair extensions, highlights, slap applied with a trowel, bling dripping everywhere...it's like a Romany Miss World competition.

The North does seem to worship at the celebrity glam altar with particular zeal IMO.

Lovely people though, don't get me wrong.

I was impressed when I saw that for sale. Someone who smokes 50 fags a day and makes a fitness video really knows how to milk all the chavs that watch that sh*te.

"But now I WANT to speak out because it's tough for real people running their own businesses and I want the government to take note of that.

"They are not in touch with real people. I wrote to Gordon Brown to ask him to come to our pub and talk to the people who live in our area and find out how difficult it is. But I'm not holding my breath."

Just WHAT does she think the government can do? Bung her a few hundred thousand quid or something?

Stupid woman!

I know many luvvies and journos and a big problem is separating their egoes and on-screen personas from real life. Many are very arrogant, self-opionated types but that is what they need to be to succeed in their game. It just doesn't make many of them, IMPO, very nice to be around.

This lady did give it a go though so you have to give her credit for that. I thought only ex-footballers became pub landlords though?

If it is any consolation to her, and I doubt it is, I doubt very much whether she is the only actor, musician, journo or other TV celeb who is in big financial doo doo at the moment. Most I have met are not too bright - hey, that ain't a crime - and would have relied on whatever financial advice they were told and just followed it - and we all know how many financial bods were ramping property in recent years. Others, of course, are just arrogant sods who believe everything they do is right so... good enough for them.

I think in the coming years we are going to learn about a lot of well known names who seemingly had it all but who are now close to being broke, or who already are, and we will be reading about their stories in the papers ad nasuem. (Perhaps the clever thing to do is to sell your 'bankrupt story' to the papers now before the numbers of bankrupt celebs drives down the price of such a story?). I guess others will be blaming their financial advisers, accountants, auntie nellie et al.

edited for the early morning typos after the late night before - sure there are more in there but I am too achey too look

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Just WHAT does she think the government can do? Bung her a few hundred thousand quid or something?

Stupid woman!

Why not? Other people have been bailed out after wreckless business practices.

:lol:

'Oop north' one day a few years ago. Icy mid-winter and girls tottering around the town centre at lunchtime in WAG-lite mini skirts, fags lit and shoulders bare. Staggering into the howling wind and fine drizzle. Poor souls.

I was well wrapped up and I was cold.

Not Newcastle by any chance? Daughter was at uni there, said you could always tell the locals since in short sleeves at midnight in midwinter - apparently because it takes too long to queue up to give coats in.

Hardy souls, but then descended from Vikings so maybe not surprising. ;)

Running a business as a hobby - financial suicide, see Buy To Let. Thankfully it's the likes of these idiots who keep banks and bailiffs in business.

Hadn't realised she ran a pub in real life..it explains why her screen son Andy hasn't been in Coronation Street for years,if he was a full-time bar manager for her! Former Rovers Return landlady Liz Dawn("Vera Duckworth")ran the Old Grapes pub in Manchester for many years.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Gutted: I paid £19.99 inc Carriage and QVC special extras for my copy. Now its 1p. Gutted.

See, you've lost pounds already.

Hadn't realised she ran a pub in real life..it explains why her screen son Andy hasn't been in Coronation Street for years,if he was a full-time bar manager for her! Former Rovers Return landlady Liz Dawn("Vera Duckworth")ran the Old Grapes pub in Manchester for many years.

Do you think that they told him that he was still in a part in Coronation Street? :unsure:

Added purely for demographic balance ;)

southerntwats.jpg

Lol. Are their pub businesses booming in the affluent south?

I sometimes wonder if we will get a repeat of the 'loadsmoney' and 'buggerallmoney' divide we had in the late 80's/90's.

TFH

Guest sillybear2

Yeah, she tried that line on the bailiffs, didn't work.

Bev admits they've made mistakes, such as pitching her pub menus too upmarket, offering punters scallops and £200 bottles of Cristal champagne.

I hope to god she didn't do that in the White Horse in Eccles!

Surprisingly the journalist didn't ask her about all the plastic surgery she's obviously had done over the past year- and where that money came from!

WARNING - CRASS GENERALISATION AHEAD...

I have to visit one of our offices in Warrington every now and then, and I have to say most of the women up there are carbon copies of this Bev woman. Fake tans, hair extensions, highlights, slap applied with a trowel, bling dripping everywhere...it's like a Romany Miss World competition.

The North does seem to worship at the celebrity glam altar with particular zeal IMO.

I've met plenty of women of low intellect and low social status down south who also have an obsession with celebrity glam. From my observations the South has plenty of of Jordan / Jodie Marsh wannabes. The only difference between the North and South it seems is that Northern girls are known for skimpy garish clothing, Southern girls are known for their lack of any!