House Price Crash Forum

Ftse "teeters On The Edge Of A Bear Market"

I remember several years ago, around 2002 that the FTSE was at 3500, looking at todays number that doesn't seem that far off now.

How low can she go before a new bull market?

I'd say 3000, what do you think?

The FTSE100 hit it's all time high on the last trading day of 1999. The index hit 6930. So, given it's not at 5389 that's a 22% drop. I'd call that a bear market. If you also factor in the massive inflation since the beginning of this decade, it's a massacre.

Moneyweek said every time the US goes into recession our stock market falls at least 30% from its latest high;

so at least 4700, I' m goner stick my neck out and go for 4468 ;)

Sold all my shares at 6700. Even advised my brother in law who works for the WOrld Bank to sell his. He did and still to this day thinks I have major insided information - I told him it was from near-obsessive reading of HPC.co.ck and that it made world economics clear but he doesn't believe me.

BTW it wasn't more than about £3000 worth of shares but I still feel a glow..

The FTSE100 hit it's all time high on the last trading day of 1999. The index hit 6930. So, given it's not at 5389 that's a 22% drop. I'd call that a bear market. If you also factor in the massive inflation since the beginning of this decade, it's a massacre.

I'm not seeing this. I see the FTSE reaching its peak on 15th June last year at 3851. It is now 3226. I assume you are looking at the FTSE total return index?