House Price Crash Forum

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I posted and I think this will probably be the last one.

I caved in and bought, but, predictably, not in the UK.

I just paid cash (thanks property bubble) for a 3,000 sq ft Victorian detached in Nova Scotia within walking distance to town, schools, docs, shops, dentist and even work if I fancy a 45 minute stroll. (I usually bike it).

Will the UK miss me? Probably not. However I do take with me two degrees, 20 yeas professional experience, a graduate wife and what would be, all things being equal 2 future "net-contributors". In return I get a clean environment, table-topping healthcare and education systems, commodities, friendly people, open spaces, empty highways, the list goes on.

So here I am, 41 years old living rent-free in a house big enough for my growing family - at least until the kids bugger off. Mission accomplished. No more paying a grand a month (thats after tax, mind you) to The Man.

Incidentally, being in Canada is interesting because we get a lot of US telly. The whining south of the border about energy and assets going into the hands of "foreigners" is unbelievable. Never have I heard more self-serving tosh. And this is CNN Im talking about. The yanks really have lost their way. Very sad.

So that's me signing off. Thanks for having me guys, I enjoyed the debates.

Laurejon: I hope someone soon starts to get your sense of humour. I did eventually. thanks for the grins.

Properyguru: I hope you get laid soon. You kinda need it, fella.

A

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I posted and I think this will probably be the last one.

I just paid cash (thanks property bubble) for a 3,000 sq ft Victorian detached in Nova Scotia within walking distance to town, schools, docs, shops, dentist and even work if I fancy a 45 minute stroll. (I usually bike it).

Will the UK miss me? Probably not. However I do take with me two degrees, 20 yeas professional experience, a graduate wife and what would be, all things being equal 2 future "net-contributors". In return I get a clean environment, table-topping healthcare and education systems, commodities, friendly people, open spaces, empty highways, the list goes on.

So here I am, 41 years old living rent-free in a house big enough for my growing family - at least until the kids bugger off. Mission accomplished. No more paying a grand a month (thats after tax, mind you) to The Man.

Incidentally, being in Canada is interesting because we get a lot of US telly. The whining south of the border about energy and assets going into the hands of "foreigners" is unbelievable. Never have I heard more self-serving tosh. And this is CNN Im talking about. The yanks really have lost their way. Very sad.

Laurejon: I hope someone soon starts to get your sense of humour. I did eventually. thanks for the grins.

A

How long have you lived in NS then? Good luck with it all!

A

Many congratuations. I was just reading yesterday with interest the news about Alberta putting the right people on fast track. Very tempting.

Fancy giving us an indication of what you parted with for your lovely detached house?

AFP

Many congratuations. I was just reading yesterday with interest the news about Alberta putting the right people on fast track. Very tempting.

Fancy giving us an indication of what you parted with for your lovely detached house?

AFP

It's got to be fast-track PNP or you're looking at 5 years wait. Also, you'll get snowstorms and hail and ice and -30 for seven months of the year, so there is that. It's reasonably common for people to return to Britain after one or two interior winters.

Edited by Thucydides
I'm reliably informed the novelty wears off after the sixth month shovelling it off your drive.

The earlier thread on Canada was hardly a glowing report. I hope adren has a job sorted out in advance (Canadian experience etc). Personally I'd like to move somewhere warmer than the UK not much colder.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=80863

happy days :)

i keep getting asked to come over do some fishing with a friend in manitoba, that place is even colder than NS, infact its colder than siberia.The fishing is done in the winter by cutting bore holes in the lakes.These lakes are used for 6 months of the year as highways for 40 tonne trucks, thats some thick ice.Mybe one day i will make it over there if i can lose my fear of flying.

nova scotia = new scotland OCH AYE !!!!

The earlier thread on Canada was hardly a glowing report. I hope adren has a job sorted out in advance (Canadian experience etc). Personally I'd like to move somewhere warmer than the UK not much colder.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=80863

Exactly, I'd rather be somewhere like Thailand by that age. The perfect place is somewhere with a dry heat and no cold winters ;)

Guest The_Oldie
Cold places are cold. Hot places have bugs and are hot and uncomfortable.

So for the perfect climate you need the UK. Sorted. I wouldn't live in Nova Scotia if you paid me - free isn't cheap enough.

:rolleyes: Ignorance is bliss.

Climate

Nova Scotia lies in the northern temperate zone and, although the province is almost surrounded by water, the climate is continental rather than maritime. The temperature extremes of the continental climate are moderated by the ocean.

Described on a provincial vehicle licence plate as Canada's Ocean Playground, the sea is a major influence on Nova Scotia's climate. Nova Scotia is known to have cold winters and warm summers. The province is surrounded by three major bodies of water, the Gulf of Saint Lawrence to the north, the Bay of Fundy to the west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the south and east.

Over its 350-mile (565 kilometres) length, Nova Scotia has a modified continental climate, comparable to that of northern Europe. The southwestern and southern shores of Nova Scotia have both milder and wetter climates than the rest of the province. Rainfall varies from 140 centimetres (55 in) in the south to 100 centimetres (40 in) elsewhere. Nova Scotia is also very foggy in places, with Halifax averaging 196 foggy days per year[5] and Yarmouth 191. [6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Scotia

Thanks for your kind thoughts everyone.

For the record, the house was 90,000 UK pounds. It is detached, 3,000 sq ft with 4 receptions, 5 beds, 2 baths, a basement, in town on about a third of an acre with a two-storey garage/barn. It's insulated but needs some updating so call it 110K UK all in to make nice. Yes I did have a job lined up.

I can live with the blackfly, the mozzies and the snow as I am An Adult. It's really not that bad if you take sensible precautions. On balance, I would rather be fighting a mozzie off than some tanked-up chav. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Anyways, off I pop.

Good luck everyone.

Cold places are cold. Hot places have bugs and are hot and uncomfortable.

So for the perfect climate you need the UK. Sorted. I wouldn't live in Nova Scotia if you paid me - free isn't cheap enough.

My first post after 3 years of lurking...

This is exactly what I love about this site. Some guy decides to pack up and jump ship and we all slag off where he is going. I'm not sure if this is jealously or just another one of the many bad British traits that he is probably trying to get away from.

I’m 29, sold up and left the UK in Jan. I now live somewhere a lot warmer and like the OP I take away a significant net contribution to the UK economy as well as an Oxbridge degree. Do I feel guilty? not really. I get to spend more time with my 9mth old baby, go to the beach at weekends, live in a multicultural environment (without the knife crime of the UK) and spend a lot less on mundane things like utility bills. I might will come back one day - but hopefully only when I'm old and need something from the system.

I say good luck to the OP. Although you are wrong about the TV - I also thought US TV would be ok to watch but it is awful. Make sure you get skype working before you go and get a UK based VPN connection so that you can watch English TV over the 'net.

Thanks for your kind thoughts everyone.

For the record, the house was 90,000 UK pounds. It is detached, 3,000 sq ft with 4 receptions, 5 beds, 2 baths, a basement, in town on about a third of an acre with a two-storey garage/barn. It's insulated but needs some updating so call it 110K UK all in to make nice. Yes I did have a job lined up.

I can live with the blackfly, the mozzies and the snow as I am An Adult. It's really not that bad if you take sensible precautions. On balance, I would rather be fighting a mozzie off than some tanked-up chav. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Anyways, off I pop.

Good luck everyone.

Bon Chance, Adren. :rolleyes:

For those after a stable, warm climate you can't do much better than the Canaries.

On the down side, what would you do there? :unsure:

And it's definitely not for those who think La Palma is going to cause a massive tsunami.