House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

Antsy

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any property (except a flat) which is positioned on the clifftop is in demand and sells at a premium. Name your price.

I live in a village between Truro and Falmouth, where there are only about half a dozen properties for sale. A couple have been on the market a very long time, others get snapped up as soon as they come up for sale and asking prices are still very high.

EAs have always promoted second homes in Cornwall. The property market has always been a false one for as long as I can remember.

It appears that 'out of county' buyers all want the same thing - a very large house with a sea view and loads of land, which is where the market is still very strong (according to a major estate agent based in Truro). The archetypal Cornish cottage is ridiculed for being too small and pokey, so who will buy it? A local won't because it is priced too high!

Unfortunately, it is a vicious circle and a natural reaction to want to sell your home for as much as you can to someone probably out of the county because they are the only ones that can afford to buy it. Is there anyone out there who would be prepared to drop their price dramatically so that a local can afford to buy it? I think not!

What do others think?

Any property (except a flat) which is positioned on the clifftop is in demand and sells at a premium. Name your price.

I live in a village between Truro and Falmouth, where there are only about half a dozen properties for sale. A couple have been on the market a very long time, others get snapped up as soon as they come up for sale and asking prices are still very high.

EAs have always promoted second homes in Cornwall. The property market has always been a false one for as long as I can remember.

It appears that 'out of county' buyers all want the same thing - a very large house with a sea view and loads of land, which is where the market is still very strong (according to a major estate agent based in Truro). The archetypal Cornish cottage is ridiculed for being too small and pokey, so who will buy it? A local won't because it is priced too high!

Unfortunately, it is a vicious circle and a natural reaction to want to sell your home for as much as you can to someone probably out of the county because they are the only ones that can afford to buy it. Is there anyone out there who would be prepared to drop their price dramatically so that a local can afford to buy it? I think not!

What do others think?

Probably not no, but somepeople will not have any choice soon. The rich London buyers have their own money troubles and suddenly the Cornish Cottage isnt as affordable as it was. Together with a four and a half hour drive to Cornwall at best and petrol prices through the roof, I think local buyers may be in luck very soon.

Probably not no, but somepeople will not have any choice soon. The rich London buyers have their own money troubles and suddenly the Cornish Cottage isnt as affordable as it was. Together with a four and a half hour drive to Cornwall at best and petrol prices through the roof, I think local buyers may be in luck very soon.

All we need now is some decent wages and there maybe a very slim chance to buy a commune.

What are the councils like for planning down there? NIMBYs all?

If a bunch of locals got together and proposed a self-build eco-development on a brownfield site, what would their response be?

Dunno, but they're more than happy to be planning for another few thousand boxes to be banged up in the fields round Truro:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Good-...il/article.html

I remember posting on here a while ago when we were looking at renting there that the EA had said they were planning 5000 new homes in west Truro. Everyone including me came to the conclusion that I'd misheard her, but apparently the local paper says not. God knows who's going to buy them or if they'll ever get built now. But the rightmove books for Tr1 are overflowing so the oversupply problem here will be something to see if they do. They're starting work at The Spires opposite the hospital presently but I do think that development is quite small. However, the digger dumped in the fields Persimmon have cordoned off down near Newbridge and opposite the tennis club hasn't moved since we arrived over a month ago.

What are the councils like for planning down there? NIMBYs all?

If a bunch of locals got together and proposed a self-build eco-development on a brownfield site, what would their response be?

Well, without getting too technical, the councils will pass anything. Give them a backhander and they are well happy.

Dunno, but they're more than happy to be planning for another few thousand boxes to be banged up in the fields round Truro:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Good-...il/article.html

I remember posting on here a while ago when we were looking at renting there that the EA had said they were planning 5000 new homes in west Truro. Everyone including me came to the conclusion that I'd misheard her, but apparently the local paper says not. God knows who's going to buy them or if they'll ever get built now. But the rightmove books for Tr1 are overflowing so the oversupply problem here will be something to see if they do. They're starting work at The Spires opposite the hospital presently but I do think that development is quite small. However, the digger dumped in the fields Persimmon have cordoned off down near Newbridge and opposite the tennis club hasn't moved since we arrived over a month ago.

I would really, really like to know where this is going to take place.

I drive through Highertown everyday ( I work at Royal Cornwall Hospital you see) and there is nowhere for new homes.

I know that 5000 new homes will be built by 2016 within Carrick, but confined within Truro is nuts. Falmouth is part of Carrick too, so maybe they mean 5000 within the district of Carrick?

I wonder where Carricks plans will lie when we have the Unitary Authority?

Edited by NeilP

I would really, really like to know where this is going to take place.

I drive through Highertown everyday ( I work at Royal Cornwall Hospital you see) and there is nowhere for new homes.

I know that 5000 new homes will be built by 2016 within Carrick, but confined within Truro is nuts. Falmouth is part of Carrick too, so maybe they mean 5000 within the district of Carrick?

I wonder where Carricks plans will lie when we have the Unitary Authority?

Isn't there going to be a huge development near the new Richard Lander School and also another development at Higher Newham? Not forgetting the new ring road which bypasses Highertown, where they are to build there also. Maybe it will be put on hold for the time-being due to the state of the property market and the impending recession. With the schools already full and the roads at bursting point, maybe it's time to go against the influx tide and move out of county. North Devon is quiet (at the moment).

if you have the same surname as someone on the planning committee, even better!

I once had a planning application in with Penwith council and said somthing similar to a neighbour, and got a letter threating a law suit for saying or intermating that any one on the council or planning commitee was on the take this was from the county solictor

I once had a planning application in with Penwith council and said somthing similar to a neighbour, and got a letter threating a law suit for saying or intermating that any one on the council or planning commitee was on the take this was from the county solictor

Well I live in Restormel area- probably the worst planning office in Britain (ONS judgement , not mine) and we regularly saw local councilors and such on the front pages of the local press for 'interesting' property/land dealings.

While I have no direct dealings with them myself , mates who have had ,unanimously reckon getting elected is the fastest way to get any planning application granted.

• 2 weeks later...

we're off for a break to Newquay this Saturday so i'll be keen to see how all the new builds have got on since we were last there in July, supposedly selling like hot cakes they were! :rolleyes:

i'm not over keen on Newquay town itself, especially in main season, but the Pentire area overlooking Fistral is a real gem...

we're off for a break to Newquay this Saturday so i'll be keen to see how all the new builds have got on since we were last there in July, supposedly selling like hot cakes they were! :rolleyes:

i'm not over keen on Newquay town itself, especially in main season, but the Pentire area overlooking Fistral is a real gem...

I have the sneaky suspicion that those cakes are now 'stone cold' funny old thing , loads of newbuilds are available to let tho :P

• 3 weeks later...
I'm keeping a close eye on things over the border here in Devon, but i may be looking to move to Cornwall in the next year or so. Can anyone provide a bit of an update on asking prices as well as the general attitude of the remaining estate agents in Cornwall?

Many thanks, AB

Whereabout are you thinking of buying in Cornwall. The county varies enormously.

Frank Hovis in the main discussion forum says

Prime position site shop in Newquay. Went out of business in April.

Still vacant.

--------------------

which shop, where - does anyone know?

I see prime location shops in Truro are starting to close down which had well known high street shops occupying them? What does this mean?