House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is great, my mate used to rent that house. In the next door was a family of smack heads with 3 pitbulls. They used to feed cats to them.

They were awake 24hrs a day and we were pretty sure the daughters in the house were on the game even though its a one up one down.

I remember the landlord sold it for £50 grand, quite a few years ago now, I tihnk around 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Fight-home-West-getting-really-desperate/article-3110501-detail/article.html

I think it's time for you locals to implement a plan to drive down house prices in the SW.

One of you who lives in a concrete house needs to start breeding termites, the really nasty destructive ones from SW France, it's warm enough in Cornwall for them.

Then all you need to do is tip enough of them to make a breeding colony through the letterbox of every Londoners second home that is unoccupied most of the year in the area (at a time that it is unoccupied).

It'll take some time, but in due course people won't be keen on buying second homes down there, and prices will halve.

termites1.jpg

post-14186-0-80699500-1295537753_thumb.jpg

Edited by swissy_fit

The wife and I are relocating to west cornwall after 8 years away. We have been looking at rightmove and zoopala to gauge prices in the helston, falmouth, camborne, redruth, and truro areas and are astounded. asking price of a 3 bed house in redruth is about the same as that in falmouth, truro or falmouth. We cannot work out what the hell is going on.

The wife and I are relocating to west cornwall after 8 years away. We have been looking at rightmove and zoopala to gauge prices in the helston, falmouth, camborne, redruth, and truro areas and are astounded. asking price of a 3 bed house in redruth is about the same as that in falmouth, truro or falmouth. We cannot work out what the hell is going on.

There are certainly bargains in CamRed, look for the Fulford auctions at the Penventon and try Property Snake to see what's been on a couple of years.

They are not more in Redruth than Truro or Falmouth (either one :P) for equivalent houses, you've just snagged a couple of bad examples.

So two bed terrace in Tuckingmill £92k:

http://www.homes24.co.uk/doc.html?_a=view&id=1585606&ref=http://www.oodle.co.uk

Myabe not what you want but way cheaper than the equivalent in a coastal town.

Myabe not what you want but way cheaper than the equivalent in a coastal town.

Here's another beauty

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17928585.html

I like the description by the agent

The property is served by good road communications including the A30 which is located to the north. Restaurants can be found in Plymouth City Centre

Here is another choice Camborne property.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28784818.html

Check out picture three, the sitting room. Some sort of projector screen dominates. Nice garden though..... and its been reduced...

In 1995, I seem to remember these houses were around £35k and they were the ok ones. Of course there are very choice parts of the county, very far, financially, removed from these houses here but the reality is, Cornwall is largely very impoverished with poor housing. The current Condem government policies will be detrimental to most of Cornwall and these types of houses will continue to fall in value.

I remember these types of houses ( the nice ones) were around £35k in 1995 and probably peaked at around £180k. I reckon they'll head towards the £50k bracket, maybe less. It'll be as is the 15 years of house price boom passed them by.

The property is served by good road communications including the A30 which is located to the north. Restaurants can be found in Plymouth City Centre

Well, I guess if you're marketing to restaurantophobes :unsure::blink:

WTF does that say about Cornwall? I wouldn't call that a selling point even for the Plymouth suburbs of Saltash or Torpoint that are on the Cornish side of the border!

Well, I guess if you're marketing to restaurantophobes :unsure::blink:

WTF does that say about Cornwall? I wouldn't call that a selling point even for the Plymouth suburbs of Saltash or Torpoint that are on the Cornish side of the border!

If memory serves me correctly, restaurants in Plymouth are expensive (given the area they should be cheap) and very poor quality. I visited a friend in London when living in the Plymouth area and was shocked to find I could eat better and cheaper in the Covent Garden area than I could in Plymouth, despite the London average wage being about 3 times higher.

Disclosure, this was the 90s, maybe someone has opened something decent down there since.

If memory serves me correctly, restaurants in Plymouth are expensive (given the area they should be cheap) and very poor quality. I visited a friend in London when living in the Plymouth area and was shocked to find I could eat better and cheaper in the Covent Garden area than I could in Plymouth, despite the London average wage being about 3 times higher.

Disclosure, this was the 90s, maybe someone has opened something decent down there since.

Yes, Plymouth now has some excellent restaurants and reasonable prices. Though they are relatively few, for a city of its size.

I can think of Italian, Indian and Thai places I would have no hesitation in recommending to a critical gourmet. The more challenging scenario would be if someone insisted on native food.

• 1 year later...

Yes, Plymouth now has some excellent restaurants and reasonable prices. Though they are relatively few, for a city of its size.

I can think of Italian, Indian and Thai places I would have no hesitation in recommending to a critical gourmet. The more challenging scenario would be if someone insisted on native food.

No posts for a year.

Has there been any marked chages in the Cornwall housing market since?

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a whisper that Zinc and Cribber, Newquay, are in receivership. Checked Companies House and Acorn (GB) Homes in receivership as of 01.05.12. Three Directors involved. Seems the market is about to move down.

WOW

It's common knowledge that their over-priced flats aren't selling and the big Zinc block on Headland Road is three quarters unsold, but I didn't know that they were on the brink. Thanks for cheering me up today Anne :)

• 3 months later...

A quick update - we moved, we purchased prices are still stagnant.

Lovely area for holiday if you like walking/fishing etc, but the climate is not as good as the south coast, and you'd better like your own company, out of season it's completely empty. Also a bit pricey for something where you'll need the car for anything you can't grow to eat.

Personally, I'd love it, my wife would leave within a week. Now there's a thought.......

Edited by swissy_fit
  • 2 months later...