House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

Thanks Porky, we like the look of the school there.

The "foundry house" is available to rent but is far too expensive. The council tax and rates add an extra 200 quid per month too

Harrow Barrow school looks good too but they are full

There is apparently a sports and social club there with a bar etc

Hadn't heard of that.

But having said no pub, it occurs to me, if you're not afraid of a bit of a walk, you have a good one nearby. Good enough to be one of my semi-regulars, despite being a lot further (cycling not walking distance) from here.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hadn't heard of that.

But having said no pub, it occurs to me, if you're not afraid of a bit of a walk, you have a good one nearby. Good enough to be one of my semi-regulars, despite being a lot further (cycling not walking distance) from here.

You are making me thirsty

• 2 weeks later...

Seaside flats collapse...

No link and I won't type it all out but in this week's CG:

Administrators try to save apartments

Blakesely Estates Ltd went into administration at the request of the Bank of Ireland on 4 March.

They are behind the Zenith apartment complex on Watergate Road, Porth where 20 out of 25 apartments remain unsold.

The development first bought in 2007 was one of a host of sites that had failed to find buyers as the recession took hold.

A spokesman said we are now looking to secure the sale of flats to pay off creditors. Marketed through David Ball & through Knight Frank.

http://www.davidballestateagents.co.uk/Webpage.aspx?id=60

http://search.knightfrank.com/xrd070027

£420k for a 2 bed flat.... :lol:

One I fancy appeared and has disappeared within a couple of weeks.

Shame I'd not got the nearly £2M for it.

Property bee is showing a couple of reductions but not many and not a huge number of new ones.

ex12 sort of postcodes I'm looking at.

Blakesely Estates Ltd went into administration at the request of the Bank of Ireland on 4 March.

They are behind the Zenith apartment complex on Watergate Road, Porth where 20 out of 25 apartments remain unsold.

The development first bought in 2007 was one of a host of sites that had failed to find buyers as the recession took hold.

A spokesman said we are now looking to secure the sale of flats to pay off creditors. Marketed through David Ball & through Knight Frank.

doesn't surprise me in the least. i think the main problem with this development was that they were all holiday restricted, £300k for a place you can't live in permanently! add in another new development (The View - seriously ridiculous prices around £600k) going up over the road which will block most of the views from Zenith, hey presto, hardly any sales...

doesn't surprise me in the least. i think the main problem with this development was that they were all holiday restricted, £300k for a place you can't live in permanently! add in another new development (The View - seriously ridiculous prices around £600k) going up over the road which will block most of the views from Zenith, hey presto, hardly any sales...

It amazes me that 5 have been sold at those prices! Those mugs people are going to feel a bit sick when the others start getting knocked out for less than half the price they paid.

Just on the local news, the number of secodn homes is already falling in some parts of Cornwall, the one quoted was the Isles of Scilly.

It amazes me that 5 have been sold at those prices! Those mugs people are going to feel a bit sick when the others start getting knocked out for less than half the price they paid.

Just on the local news, the number of secodn homes is already falling in some parts of Cornwall, the one quoted was the Isles of Scilly.

Lots going in Mevagissy and Fowey too - Fowey river EA started emailing me on the weekend after months of silence .

16 of these have popped up on RM today with reductions between £15k - £60k, all still holiday restricted.

16 of these have popped up on RM today with reductions between £15k - £60k, all still holiday restricted.

I wouldn;t have thought that restriction matters, though they do bellyache about it as it impacts the price slightly.

If you are going to live in Conrwall permanently you don't want to do it in a block of flats where every weekend there is an all night party next door.

£60k drops takes them down to £340k then Lexy. Nope, still not even close to reality.

You can buy a detached bungalow in a quiet bit of Newquay for £200k, still very overpriced but not entirely hatstand:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27643121.html

I wouldn;t have thought that restriction matters, though they do bellyache about it as it impacts the price slightly.

If you are going to live in Conrwall permanently you don't want to do it in a block of flats where every weekend there is an all night party next door.

£60k drops takes them down to £340k then Lexy. Nope, still not even close to reality.

You can buy a detached bungalow in a quiet bit of Newquay for £200k, still very overpriced but not entirely hatstand:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27643121.html

i've just had another look at these, the lowest price at the moment is£185k for 2 bed with partial sea views, so not too obscene! highest price at the moment is £280k with full sea view (perhpas a soon to be disappearing view at that).

but no, i wouldn't consider living in a block of this size in a holiday area. when we stopped at Zinc on Headland Road just after it opened, security was non-existant with doors being left open all over the place & it felt more like a hotel, & it wasn't even busy then! also, we hadn't realised just how noisy it is over that side at night, quite a few b&b's in the area & the bar at the beach definitely make a difference compared to where we normally stay over on Pentire.

this about being holiday restricted, how would it be monitored & by whom? perhaps the council would want you to produce a council tax bill/account for somewhere else to prove you'd got another permanent address?? it really does seem to affect the desireability though, holiday restricted just dont sell.

• 3 weeks later...

I drove around Falmouth yesterday. Loads more 'For Sale' signs than Truro and far fewer (if any!) 'Sale Agreed' or 'Sold' signs. The difference was striking. Probably worth keeping an eye on the prices here as well as Truro - they may be 'ahead of the curve'.

I drove from Truro to Devon this afternoon, couldn't believe the number of houses with for 'for sale' signs up, particularly in the St Austell area.

I live in Snozzle at the moment - it is almost unbelievable how many new boards have gone up in last few weeks - lots and lots of little £2k - £5k drops showing on rightmove too - as I comented earlier , the EA's starting to scrabble for buyers too -hence a big increase in 'You still interested ?' type e-mail/phone calls

Interestingly the recent Auction at Penventon , Redruth was a complete waste of time for properties in this area - there were 3 up and none sold - having viewed two of them myself I'm not surprised

I live in Snozzle at the moment - it is almost unbelievable how many new boards have gone up in last few weeks - lots and lots of little £2k - £5k drops showing on rightmove too - as I comented earlier , the EA's starting to scrabble for buyers too -hence a big increase in 'You still interested ?' type e-mail/phone calls

Interestingly the recent Auction at Penventon , Redruth was a complete waste of time for properties in this area - there were 3 up and none sold - having viewed two of them myself I'm not surprised

I kinda like the Snozzle area, Tywardreath with its proximity to Par station etc. appeals.

I wonder if they still serve draught Bass in the pub there?

I'm thinking that the Auctions in the Autumn might have more interesting offerings as expectations dip (hopefully!) so I won't be looking here seriously until then. There is something pseudo about them at the moment and probably has been for a while - a bit like the New Year Sales in retail.

I kinda like the Snozzle area, Tywardreath with its proximity to Par station etc. appeals.

I wonder if they still serve draught Bass in the pub there?

They do in the british legion - but i have an aversion to dominoes and war stories so don't tend to go in

On the subject of St Austell - I've seen some real bargains in that area. If I wasn't tied to Truro area by schools etc. I would be in my dream home already (I think).

the eastern 'burbs are coming down in price , slowly but steadily - if theres an acceleration in the drops over the next few months its highly likely I'll be pitching in my cash soon

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing it here too mate - lots of the 'stickers' those houses that have been on for a year or so without dropping a penny are starting to drop

the eastern 'burbs are coming down in price , slowly but steadily - if theres an acceleration in the drops over the next few months its highly likely I'll be pitching in my cash soon

Depends on your circumstances TT. IMO the lack of any decent local industry means that there isn't the floor that you would get in somewhere like Exeter where there will always be a lot of people earning in a decent wage and needing to live somewhere. So as soon as they start falling then that wildly overpriced property in somewhere like Padstow - with virtually no local jobs - gets dropped like a hot brick and plummets.

Once they do start going it will speed up until you get back to the position where they can't be given away. I was telling somebody about mid 90s flats going for 12k / 15k and the response was "I bet you wish you bought them", well I'm now seeing flats at £30k not selling. I can't find the thread but somebody (Reluctant Heretic) was citing these for Penzance as well. It makes the £300k "luxury" flats look like white elephants already.

lots of drops on the properties i'm keeping an eye on in the TR7 area too. a 2 bed flat over looking Newquay harbour is currently showing as a repossession with an offer of £166k being received on it. i know it's a repo, but it'll be the lowest price i've seen for a long time on anything similar size/location wise.

the market definitely seems to be turning...bring on the next 18 months, i almost feel excited! B)

Edited by **Lexxy**

Depends on your circumstances TT. IMO the lack of any decent local industry means that there isn't the floor that you would get in somewhere like Exeter where there will always be a lot of people earning in a decent wage and needing to live somewhere. So as soon as they start falling then that wildly overpriced property in somewhere like Padstow - with virtually no local jobs - gets dropped like a hot brick and plummets.

Once they do start going it will speed up until you get back to the position where they can't be given away. I was telling somebody about mid 90s flats going for 12k / 15k and the response was "I bet you wish you bought them", well I'm now seeing flats at £30k not selling. I can't find the thread but somebody (Reluctant Heretic) was citing these for Penzance as well. It makes the £300k "luxury" flats look like white elephants already.

Yep I agree mate but I want a place to live and to be honest - once we are in and settled , the price of it becomes academic